• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-0 Chesterfield

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Thought we played well and definitely deserved our victory.

Having the likes of Weir, Robbo, Delaney and Mcgurk in our opening day starting line-up (compared to Labadie, Mclaren, ITM and Gornell last year, respectively) makes a big difference to the quality of football on display. The 4-5-1 system now seems much more dynamic with the addition of some genuine creative players in central midfield, and we now have natural width rather than strikers being stuck out wide.

Whereas much of our build-up play last season completely bypassed the midfield, today Weir and Robbo linked up well with our widemen (who look to have quality) and Tiriyaki's height was only used as a (rather effective) last resort. Without getting too far ahead of ourselves after this result, it seems we should at least be better to watch this season.

Kay was possibly the only shaky performer (seems to throw himself to ground every time anyone runs towards him). Zoum didn't look particularly assured on the ball either, but covered a lot of ground and was fine defensively. McChrystal had a great game and his distribution was, for a change, very good indeed. As a defensive unit we looked okay, Welsh did a half decent job screening although was perhaps lucky not to be booked after making 4 or 5 little fouls throughout the course of the game.

Hard to pick a MOTM. Ref was a bit clueless. Bench looks quite strong also, Akins looked pretty good in a central role when he came on. Can't believe Raven is 26, he looks about 46.

Think that just about covers it from where I was sat.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agree with much of what has been said. I was delighted with what I saw today.

As has been commented, having McGurk and Devaney in the wide areas gives us a touch of class and degree of intelligence in playing those positions that we have lacked in the last couple of years. McGurk seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds and some of his touches were tremendous today. Devaney also looks a class act, tricky and a good crosser of the ball.

As a unit we looked much more fluid and mobile than we have in most of the last eighteen months, and the balance in midfield is good now, with Welsh sitting, Robinson probing and Weir looking to break into the box. It is good to be able to bring a player like Labadie on with fifteen minutes to go, rather than some of the duffers we have had in the last two seasons.

I am still a bit concerned that we will struggle to score goals if Enoch has a prolonged absence, but if we can avoid serious injuries we should have a good season.

Gutted that the Sheffield clubs are keeping us out of the play offs on goal difference.;-)

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
went today ...blagged my way into the vip

very happy ,players gave 100% despite lack of Quality in the first half going forward imo

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Encouraging.

It was a brave decision by Les to start up front with an untried player from non-league in Tiryaki and a player lacking in match-fitness; Martin Devaney. Thankfully it paid off. The football on offer from Rovers was more attractive than much of last season and earned us a deserved win. I was particularly impressed by McGurk and Devaney supplying quality ball from out wide and McChrystal, who was calm at the back and played a couple of decent long-balls, but a good team performance.

As the saying goes; one swallow does not make a summer. Areas we need to work on are avoiding giving away possession in dangerous positions. In the first half, we did this too frequently, but our opponents didn't take advantage. Also, given the quality of ball put into the box and some decent touches from Tiryaki, the midfield need to attack the ball more to benefit.

Agree with SonkORLY? that the referee was below par. Chesterfield were disappointing, they headed over from a good position in each half, but that was the totality of their chances. They bought a decent following, though the sub 6k crowd was lower than I'd anticipated. However the home fans leaving PP were in positive voice and will be back hoping for more.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Positive all round really even with playing 451! While I'll never agree to playing 1 man up front at home, at least we got the right result.

Was very surprised to see Akins on the bench and Turyaki up front who I thought played quite well considering his step up and that fact that he isn't up to fitness yet. Same can be said about Devaney. Great to have a proper winger on the field and I'm really hoping for good things once he gets his match fitness. There were good signs yesterday.

The defence looks solid and Chesterfield were only limited to a few good chances. Fon-Williams while not really tested looks to have good hands and seems quite assured between the sticks.

Like RLC says, McGurk seems to get better with every game and he played quite well on the left.

Great start, will be interesting how we do this month with all the away games coming up.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Les said, as a spectacle it wasnt great, but no surprise given the 1st game of the season.

I wanted them to go for it and I thought in part they did. Considering we had 2 players (Devaney & Terayaki) both not fit plus a new keeper I think we did well against what would have been a confident Chesterfield team.

As has been mentioned, Devaney looks a classy player. Not sure about Mustafa yet (he was outside the Clipper after the match on his way to the bus stop ! Still used to the left of a non league player). He first touch didnt look great but it would be unfair to judge him so early on. He was thrown in at the deep end & worked hard.

I too was surprised Lucas didnt start up top - especially as Les is his only fan! He actually did ok when he came on (maybe more effective as a sub?) but I wondered whether Les was a bit miffed he took so long to sign a deal.

Defence looked ok although Kay was given a test by Dean Morgan - I was glad he went off. Lester was kept quiet. McGurk looked dangerous and midfield worked hard.

I think performances will only get better and players will get fitter so whilst not getting carried away, I am really pleased we won ahead of some tough games albeit on paper, coming up.