• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0 Brazil 3

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I have not posted on here for a few weeks as I decided to sit back and see how things unfolded before shouting my mouth off.

Tonight was a disgrace and quite simply highlighted all the problems the club has struggled with this season. Dont really know where to start and because of this will echo the example set by most of those wearing the white shirt tonight and simply not bother.

League 2 here we come and then god only knows what will happen.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
something needs to change for the better this summer or we will struggle to stay in league 2 next season. The club looks to be in a total mess on and off the pitch, there is no leadership little effort or fight and a sad acceptance of relegation.

I hope im wrong but i fear the worst for the next couple of seasons unless chages are made altough i cant see it being done.

One of the worst nights ive experienced following rovers and thats been for about 30 years or so

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Bit of an overreaction ^

Tonight was easily one of the most disappointing performances I've ever seen a Tranmere side turn in at Prenton Park though. Wycombe weren't even good.

As an aside, Mcready looked as surprised as anyone when he was brought off and didn't seem to be remotely injured. Bizarre. Savage should have left the pitch before Curran. How Alan Mahon can't get on that pitch...I just have no idea. Welsh was one of the few players who looked remotely interested in the game, no real need to bring him off ahead of Mclaren etc.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
with little money coming into the club gates will fall as the matchday prices are actually going up next season the playing budget will be reduced again.

If we could get in someone like jimmy harvey john coleman or the like we might do ok but as much as i like les he isnt a manager as his tactics and substitions are now showing.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
There's little money coming into any League 2 club. The staff budget will be reduced but will be at the very least competitive compared to our competition. Given this, it seems unlikely we'd have to worry about relegation again, should we be relegated this year.

Harvey has spent about 15 years managing at various semi-professional clubs; yes he did well at Forest Green; yes you probably fondly remember him playing for us in the late 80s. Take away the latter point and you're left with some bloke whose greatest managerial achievment in 15 years is taking some random conference club to 8th in the league. I'd like to think we'd be a bit more aspirational than that. Coleman has done alright at Accy and should know League 2 quite well by now - a better prospect than Harvey, for me. Still reckon Simon Davey would've been good but ah well...

Tonight was rubbish. Anyone still think we can stay up?

DIW

Player
Goodison
IMO, an excellent Tranmere performance against a strong Wycombe side. If I'm honest what we lacked in quality, we certainly made up for in effort, with dedication and work rate at a premium right up to the end. Those boys simply could not have tried harder.
Whilst the class of Wycombe clearly told (it was obvious why they a good couple of points ahead of Stockport), I thought McLaren and Welsh (both excellent buys for me) had some great possession playing some lovely one touch stuff. Up front Bas held the ball up well, bringing others into play, while Curran was a constant menace and goal threat. McCready's appalling performance was rightly ended by the introduction of the pacy Gareth Edds, and there were very promising cameos from Bain and Shuker.

The futures bright for Tranmere. Bring on Exeter on Saturday - we're going batter them.

Player
Liam Palmer
A sad night.

But one lingering question still remains unanswered from this season.....

If Kithson Bain can get a game for Tranmere Rovers, why can't I?

And no, I'm not Alan Mahon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha - ohh the laughter. Even the thread title made me chuckle. I have nothing left but to laugh (i think)..

What a completely inept and embarrassing performance that was. Yes, we made Wycombe look good but at least they showed spirit, desire and fight. They said before the game they were going out to win, they turned up, got in our faces and we didn't respond.

Like a whipped pup, we sat there and did f*ck all about it! What a complete mess. Getting beat 3-0 at home to a team below us in the league. I said at half time we should make changes as it couldn't get any worse. It got worse and the subs made no difference whatsoever.

What's the point in bringing on Edds, Shuker and Bain. The most ineffective subs ever! At least give Mahon and Ladabie a chance.

We actually don't know how to pass as a team. We cannot string two passes together. It's pathetic.
Well played Wycombe though. They were the better team for 90 minutes and showed they haven't given up yet.

On that showing, we deserve to go down. Bunch of tw@ts! At least give us some fight!!
I think the players have lost it now, they've given up.

Player
steve coppell
Up until tonight I thought we'd get out of relegation. This result makes me think we will, sadly, go down. I just hope I'm proved wrong.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I hope you are right about an over reaction Sonkorly.

But here is how I see things.

Firstly the squad:

Daniels- Gone
Collister- Unproven
Logan- Gone
O'Neill- Gone
McCready- Gone
Goodison- Getting well on
Broomes- Possibly may perform in L2
Bakayogo- Out of contract
Gordon- Gone
Creswell- Still there
Mahon- Stay or go?
Shuker- Stay or go?
Welsh- Could be a decent player in L2
McLaren- Finished couldnt cut it at L2 while at Bradford no 2 years older
Taylor- Will probably go
Robinson- Gone
Labadie- Gone
Edds- Could do well in L2
Savage- could do ok
Thomas Moore- Likely to join his dad
Curran- May do ok
Gornell- Not good enough
Bain- Not seen enough of him

(May have missed people out here but it is quite late)

So out of the current squad we may only have 10-11 possible first team players left thats if they dont get any better offers. We were unable to assemble a good enough squad to compete this season and the chances are the budget will be cut further next season, so how will we assemble a good enough squad to compete in L2.

We have a chairman who does not want to be there and who has already shown in appointing the clubs physio that he wants the cheapest option so the likelihoods of us getting a decent manager in would seem unlikely. Another untried and untested man desperate for a job would seem more likely.
The club have already announced that as a cost cutting exercise they are shutting parts of the ground next season (similar to what Chester did)
The crowds are bound to fall with relegation and with finances already stretched I could see administration and a points reduction a very real option.
I appreciate that this is all a bit hypothetical but I dont think that looking at things and hoping everything will be ok is going to work.
The club has become the laughing stock of the football league, sacking Moore because of falling attendances, appointing Barnes, Putting the club on e-bay, sacking Barnes and giving the friggin physio the job!?!

The club is slowly dying before our very eyes and I cant see how things can be improved.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We were unable to assemble a good enough squad to compete this season and the chances are the budget will be cut further next season, so how will we assemble a good enough squad to compete in L2.

Short answer: same way everyone else does. There are some very small clubs in league 2; budget cuts or otherwise, we wouldn't be too badly off compared to most. And obviously the required standard is lower.

Mahon and Taylor will very likely stay since they're still contracted. Players will leave, players will join, same as any season. This will happen regardless of whether we stay up or not. And as I've said elsewhere, I suspect that crowds will fall by a similar amount regardless of the league we play our football in next year. Appointing a competant manager as soon as the season ends is a must.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Worst performance of the season, it was like John Barnes had returned for the night. Very disappointing. I truly believed we could get 6 points from the games vs Wycombe and Exeter and at least give ourselves a chance. There's very little chance now of survival, I can't see us beating Exeter either.

No bottle, no passion, no commitment, no drive, no ideas, no skill, we were truly hopeless.

The only one who came out of tonight with any credit was John Welsh. And what happened, he got subbed! Unbelievable Jeff. At least he battled and showed some fighting spirit and ran himself into the ground, unlike several others.

Gutted, bring on the Stanley!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Short answer: same way everyone else does. There are some very small clubs in league 2; budget cuts or otherwise, we wouldn't be too badly off compared to most. And obviously the required standard is lower.

Mahon and Taylor will very likely stay since they're still contracted. Players will leave, players will join, same as any season. This will happen regardless of whether we stay up or not. And as I've said elsewhere, I suspect that crowds will fall by a similar amount regardless of the league we play our football in next year. Appointing a competant manager as soon as the season ends is a must.

I agree 100% but we havent appointed one this season so what makes you think it is likely to happen next?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Pressure to appoint a proper manager will be overwhelmingly strong this time around IMO

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Tonight was rubbish. Anyone still think we can stay up?

Strangely enough, looking at Gillingham's remaining fixtures and their inability to win at home tonight, it will probably be a remarkably low points total that is required to stay up. Which will make no difference to us whatsoever, as we are so pi** poor at present that I wouldn't fancy us to win an away game at Poulton Vics ladies under-tens, let alone Stockport.

I agree with Sonkorly's comment that on paper we will be no worse off financially than many League Two clubs next season, but the squad has to be completely reshaped to make us competitive: I don't believe the likes of McLaren, Welsh, Broomes and Bain will make much of an impact even at the lower level, nor am I confident that Johnson will appoint someone with the experience to build that squad (I wouldn't mind Harvey personally).

Chicken's came home to roost tonight, and we could be ruing the decision to remove Moore for some time to come.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
as frank corfe said to me 2 years after his departure from rovers about mr johnson !
the chickens have come home to rooste !:-({|=

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Never have I seen so many posts after an evening game - just shows the level of frustration after was probably the worst game I have seen in many a year.

I am still in shock to be honest - I knew Wycombe might come at us a bit but never expected that. They had only won 2 away games all season up to last night but we made them look amazing. We were so poor.

To start the game as poorly as we did you wonder what was said before the game but at the end of the day, the players cross the white line.

That said, the management trio have to look at themselves IMO, but as I have said before, its not Les' fault he is out of his depth. I really feel sorry for him the way things are turning out given his service to the club.

4-3-3: clearly not working when you need to create chances and score goals. Should have gone 4-4-2 with Shukes/Mahon on the wings. I aint the biggest fan of Bas but feel sorry for the strikers when they just dont have anything created for them. Edds has a goal in him too

Why sign the lad from West Brom if he wont play him ? McClaren is clearly past it and has no confidence.

With 12 mins to go Les came on to treat Goodi and I thought he might have used it as an opportunity for one last attempt at the lads to get them going, whilst he was on the pitch. But he said nothing. Dont think he knows what to say but he is out of his depth. With a few mins left, and fans streaming out, Les looked hapless on the sidelines - but he even he must have wondered how things could have turned out so badly.

Maybe i have gone off on one but I am still seething about it

Les has criticised the fans for booing his subs etc but I thought the kop made quite a bit of noise overall and he cant complain that seeing our 3rd successive defeat and league 2 in sight means people arent happy.

I hope to God we can somehow stay up and bring in a proper manager but due to our goal difference we are effectively 4 points from safety.

Oh well - only 2 more weeks to get the best season ticket offers !! :-k

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
It really was as bad as the games under B&rnes.

Wycombe came with a game plan. We just failed to turn up.

They flooded the midfield in the first half and our only response to that was to hoof it up over the top, notionally aiming for Bas, but mostly just aimlessly punting it.

I cannot blame Les, yes I know he's the manager and if the players aren't motivated ultimately the blame goes to him... but these players simply are not good enough and Les wasn't the one who signed them.

McLaren is on a two year contract (thanks B&rnes), supposedly an experienced professional setting an example for the others, but last night he was a passenger. We aren't good enough to carry anyone, let alone a centre mid. Broomes (thanks B&rnes) is a joke, a complete liability at centre back and although the damage caused is less at right back, contributes nothing.

Goodison also has yet another year left on his contract (you know who), and simply hasn't the pace he had a few years ago. A degree in sports physiotherapy isn't needed to tell Goodi is carrying a knock and if we had anyone capable of deputising shouldn't be playing.

And this brings us to the real problem under cutting any attempt to move things forward. Our squad, as well as not really being good enough, is too small. Savage isn't match fit but had to play last night as Gornell was suspended, and Curran had an injury didn't train all week but was picked. You or I may not have picked Curran, but Les probably felt he didn't have much choice.

Mahon and his THREE year contract (f**ks sake B&rnes) didn't even make it onto the pitch again.

The Les Parry band-aid for the club is starting to come unstuck. The sticking plaster has only covered up the gushing wound caused by B&rnes. We're bleeding and need mending fast.

5 games to go. It was a miracle we climbed from rock bottom to be in with a shout of staying up... but whether the team have enough left in the tank to go the distance is now in doubt.

We need to learn the lesson quickly, take heart from Wycombe's example. They've learnt on the pitch to hunt in packs, by working together even lesser players can get results. Tranmere have lesser players, there can be no doubting it anymore.. so to win enough of our last games what's needed is to stop playing as individuals and start working their socks off for each other. Our off the ball movement was shocking last night, a player would get into a wide position, nobody would move for them, they'd be trying to do it on their own, or they'd pass it back and stand still so that the person they offloaded it to would have to do it on their own. BAD bad bad, and i hope that Les picks up on that rather than glossing over it. I hope that the performance and result gives enough ammunition to fire at players who think they're it, to give them a kick up the backside and get them playing as a team.