• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-2 Bristol Rovers

evo_trfc

5,887 *****. ***** in general these 2 games would have actually given us a chance. Shows we had been overacheiving lower mid-table side enoguh said

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That has to go down as one of the worst performances at home this season. It was simply clueless.

We made Rovers look good and they were by far the more enterprising side. #-oThe better team won tonight, no doubt about that.

We were so flat tonight and looked completely out of sorts.
I can't take one positive from that game, if Ronnie does then he's a fool.

That performance should not be acceptable at all.

There was no drive or creativity. When we had the ball, we would either hoof it forward or pass it sideways or backwards! I think Coyne had more of the ball than anyone on that pitch.

What did they do for 90 minutes. I don't know? I think their keeper had one shot to save. That is just not good enough.

But one things certain.. I cannot emphasise enough how much we are missing Goodison at the back. It's only when he's not playing you realise how frail our defence is.

Last 3 games, conceded 7 goals. That's serious leakage and all without Goodsion at the back. Without Goodison there's no shape at the back, no-one commands the defence. Chorley looks useless as a replacement to Goodison. He's not as good at defending and he certainly isn't a leader or a captain. The sooner Goodison returns, the better.

Saw the same crap performances from players tonight. Myre-Williams was useless as per usual, just erm... running. He can't take players on, he cant tackle, he cant do much really. Jones on the other side was just as bad. Poor quality players IMO.

The midfield wasn't anywhere to be seen tonight, which in turn meant the front two were chasing pointless balls all night and looked like headless chickens.

Taylor was having a torrid time wth their back two. They gave him a few bruises tonight but the useless referee seemed to think their somewhat physical challenges were fine. :roll: Having said that, the service was still rubbish.

A few times I saw Greenacre on the wing or challenging for the ball in the corner! WTF!? What's he doing there, he should be in the box. The shape of the team was all wrong.

Bristol Rovers to their credit played some neat football and made good chances for themselves. There was some good wing play and some neat through balls, one of which setup the first goal. In fact, they were so creative, they could have scored at least two more goals tonight.

I know this is a pretty damning post, but I'm really thinking of anything positive to say. Can anyone help me out?

And if things couldn't get anymore frustrating, Ronnie sticks Curran on the right wing! Arghhhh!!! Play him up front for **** sake!

I'm really disturbed by the fact that we had no idea how to break the opposition down at all. Once we got past the half way line, it went one of three ways:

1. Hoofed aimlessly upfield
2. Passed sidways
3. Passed back to defence/Coyne

And this still happened when we were 2-0 down. They've got no idea how to pass and move with the ball. Bristol Rovers had a pretty easy time really as they didn't have to work hard for their victory.

I've said enough..

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Another frustrating and ultimately disappointing evening. I started off with high hopes of 3 points. 2 minutes into the game I realised that would be highly unlikely.

I see Ronnie says it was schoolboy defending tonight. Well can I suggest he looks at the last 4-5 games and look at the goals conceded by "schoolboy defending" and ask why the hell hasn't he tried to sort it out! It looks as if they hadn't played together as a back 4 and didnt have a clue what to do when the ball was in our box. Including the supposed international goalkeeper that we have.

But it's too simple to say that it was poor defending that cost us. Cos all over the park we were shocking. After the first five minutes when hopeless balls were hoofed up to Taylor and Greenacre, who won little if not nothing of these challenges, it was decided by all to continue this tactic til half time! First half, a 1 shot towards the goal - 10 foot over by Jenno.

The passing was poor, we didnt close them down, we were second to every loose ball, it looked as if we were playing in slow motion in comparison to Bristol's fast forward pace which caused us no end of problems all night. Slow and predictable was Rovers at their best tonight, before losing the ball. Thought this may have changed when Curran and Zola came on - but no, same old and although we had a couple of tame shots on goals it wasnt a great deal better than the previous 65mins.

Curran on the wing... He looked lost. I feel so sorry for him. I really rate him, but this must be frustrating the lad that he doesn't have the opportunity to show us what he can really do in his best position which is undoubtedly through the middle. I just hope he's not another one who loses his way, a lot of potential and ends up ala Alex Hay playing LOW for Bangor or someone.

All in all a bad day at the office for the team. All illusions for promotion play offs must surely be dead in the water. To think we were top 10 weeks or so ago makes me laugh after watching that game.

Final word though for Bristol Rovers and their fans. Thought they looked a decent side, probably the best I've seen this season (the division is full of dross remember) so well done to them. As much as we were crap, they played well and fully deserved 3 points. And I was surprised to see so many fans make the journey on a cold Friday night, when I see on the news their area is flooded and such! Well done to them.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Regarding Ronnie's comments:

"Schoolboy Defending Has Cost Us"
You can't just blame that on the defence. Yes, it was poor, but the whole squad was poor! Everything was wrong.. OK, so say we had a good defence and didn't concede, that would still only give us a draw! We had 1 or 2 shots on target! There's no point keeping clean sheets if you can't stick the damn ball in the net! Come on Ronnie, we need more than that. #-o

Some of his other comments were more direct though, these I cannot argue with:
"We're the home side and we're supposed to be creating the chances but we weren't. We tested the keeper twice."

"I don't just blame the back four for that, we've got to work harder as a unit."

We know where we are weak, but we are looking and hopefully something can be done about it."
I hope by that he's looking at creative players! :whistle:

Player
Liam Palmer
I"M SOOOOO DEPRESSED!!!!

But not surprised. Same rubbish as most of this season. Most of that squad can GTF IMO. Need new blood, young, energetic players who want to pass and run and shoot.

It's not rocket science, it's football.

Help, I'm drowning (in mediocrity).

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I've waited until today before posting, because last night I'm sure I would have just ranted and ranted. I might still do that...

Basically we were dreadful. Coyne was our man of the match, not because he made any saves, in fact he could do nothing about both of their goals except pick the ball out of the net. No he gets man of the match because he made more passes and received more passes than any other Tranmere player, and because even at two down he was trying his best to gee the players up and get a rise out of them. But it was all in vain as the other 10 men we had out there on the pitch just weren't up for it.

My uncle said after the game that it reminded him of Boxing day / new years day matches in the past, where the players all had a skinful the night before and so turn up in body but not in spirit, while the opponents who didn't get their night out and turn up bright and breezy. He's not wrong.

Basically we lost all of the individual battles. Nobody had the beating of their man, we were over-run in midfield by the five-man Bristol Rovers midfield and because they turned up and worked hard they kept us out. Our wingers were both totally ineffective and each and every time instead of pushing on, just offloaded it to the fullback, Williams in particular was just useless and a waste of a space in the team. Up front Taylor didn't get any change from their centre-half (some abysmal refereeing didn't help) and at the back Chorley never got to grips with their sole striker, he lost every header and couldn't keep up when it was on the floor.

Jennings worked hard but I wouldn't say he played well and McLaren was below anonymous. Basically the two of them didn't have a hope as they were dreadfully outnumbered in the middle.

All credit to Bristol Rovers really. Yes it looked as though they had us beaten tactically but really it was a combination of factors that had us beat so comprehensively last night. Motivationally we were awful. Creatively we were awful. They weren't top-quality players but what they had an we didn't on the night was a work-ethic and teamwork. All five across their midfield worked very very hard and we couldn't match their workrate and we couldn't break them down.

Ronnie didn't get it wrong with 4-4-2 and considering we have two first teamers suspended and two wingers injured I don't think he could have put out a much stronger team... but he HAS TO get a grip on the motivational side of things.

Player
Liam Palmer
Nobody had the beating of their man, we were over-run in midfield by the five-man Bristol Rovers midfield and because they turned up and worked hard they kept us out. Our wingers were both totally ineffective and each and every time instead of pushing on, just offloaded it to the fullback......

Been saying this all season and all of last season - playing two wide me just doesn't work in this league. The opposition get wise to it and cut off the supply by overrunning us in midfield.

Agreed that the motivational side of things is a big worry. I mean, how can a team outclass Carlisle (a decent team), yet take one point from Crewe, Port Vale, Orient and Bristol Rovers?

The players MUST accept the blame for this lacklustre attitude. Ronnie comes across as a "ranter" as a manager and I believe he does fire them up. But to what effect?

Also, why blame the defence - look at our 'goals for' column. Truly, truly embarrassing.

I'm Rovers til I die, but unless it improves, I'd rather give my money to Cammell Laird FC - at least they score a few goals.

Two games to save our season (again).

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
To be honest i'm starting to think Ronnie should take his fair share of the blame in all this. We have played about 8 games in 3 and a half weeks and he has played the same players every game. Jennings and McLaren haven't had a rest... they have just been run into the ground. No wonder the midfield were over run last night. He has Ahmed who has played about 2 games and Paul Henry available to him. There is no reason why he couldn't have mixed it up a bit to give them a bit of a game and us a bit of freshness through this tough period.

Also he seems to play Zola for 2 games and then drop him. Personally i'd start Zola ahead of Taylor any day. Then Curran is always being put out on the right... He is most dangerous up front for gods sake. Personally I think Zola and Curran would form a decent partnership up front.

I just feel that really a bit of foresight from Ronnie would have greatly improved our chances of picking up a few more points and keeping the team a lot fresher.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We all know at the end of the day, the manager gets the blame for results.. Players can be blamed for individual performances, but players dont get sacked, managers do! Not that I'm saying we should sack him, far from it. Just pointing out when it comes to the crunch, the manager always gets it.

Player
Liam Palmer
Fair point - but it's players who get the manager the sack.

And this lot are doing their best to get Ronnie the boot.

As for resting McLaren and Jennings? Hell no, they're our best players at the moment. From which games are you going to leave them out? A cup replay at Hereford? An absolutely vital game at Millwall? We may be sh*t - but we are STILL only 6 points off the play-offs. Sorry, these two HAVE to play - but they need the SUPPORT and BACK-UP from their manager by picking additional numbers in midfield, not a couple of llamas grazing out on the wings. And the players chosen have to follow Macca and Jenno's lead.](*,)

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
The damage has been done now. We should have rested them over xmas... not both at the same time but separately. They may be are best players but they didn't sound like it against Bristol Rovers because they were run down after so many games. There is no reason he couldn't have put Henry in with McLaren against Crewe and Ahmed in against Cheltenham with Jennings. That would have helped. The games from now will start to become less frequent and so resting players won't be needed as much. Ronnie missed his chance.

On the subject of sacking him... I wouldn't! Mainly because his contract is up at the end of the season. We have the FA Cup to play for and that is it. We may still only be 6pts off 6th place but teams have one or two games in hand around us and we need to be consistent from now on. One thing we never are at the moment. I'd be very surprised if we made the play offs now.

Player
Goodison
by the time his contract has expired we may be in league 2 at this rate. No away win since Southend, 3 losses in a row, one of the worst Tranmere performances I have ever seen, no creativety, no goalscorers, no defence besides Goodison, a top half finish would be an achivement at the moment.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have to agree with Joe that it makes no sense to change managers now. I doubt anyone could come in at this stage of the season and get us promoted.

I am dreading hearing the result on Wednesday. Defeat at Hereford would mean effectively our season is over with a long three and a half months with nothing to play for. The problem then would be motivating the players enough to get enough points to stay in League One. And gates would suffer.

I cannot understand what has been happening this season, which is turning out to be a very similar pattern to last season - in the top two by October, slump in November/December, erratic second half of the season. We never seem to have a mediocre game. It's either good or bad. Sometimes the motivation and the tactics are spot on (Carlisle games, Southend away, Bradford City in the cup), but too often the opposite is the case. Injuries and suspensions have probably been a factor in the poor results, but that does not explain it all.

I think we just have to get behind Ronnie and the team for the rest of the season. If things don't work out, I'm sure Ronnie's contract won't be renewed.

Player
Liam Palmer
I think we just have to get behind Ronnie and the team for the rest of the season. If things don't work out, I'm sure Ronnie's contract won't be renewed.

But we always do get behind Rovers and Ronnie. The support has been terrific all season, especially away from home.

That's not the point. Our support, however fantastic, doesn't win us games. The players do. The manager does. And at present both are not performing. League 2? We're not that far off it. I don't care who is manager, as long as Tranmere Rovers are not in League 2. Because after league 2 comes the Conference. You think I am joking..... ask Carlisle.....or HEREFORD!!!!!!
#-o

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
one of the worst Tranmere performances I have ever seen, no creativety, no goalscorers, no defence
I would agree it was the worst performance I've seen under Ronnie. It came close to some of the games under Brian Little, and that's saying a lot as those were BAD.

I don't think that so far Ronnie has performed as well as manager as Mathias did, but I'd still have Ronnie in a second over the shambles that were Aldridge, Sheedy, Watson, McMahon or Little.

two words: Moore Out
Two words: You idiot.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I may live to regret saying this but I really don't see us going down. Once we get Goodison back and one or two in on loan we will definitely pick up enough points for a mid table finish. Its just a shame that certain decisions and performances seem to have cost us even a play off place!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No.... we aren't going down. There's no chance of that, although I think we should concentrate more on the opposite end of the table, as we are going to struggle to get into the play-offs. We seem to have been hanging around 9th for far too long..

I think we should also stop on the Ronnie out talk. It's quite ridiculous.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The damage has been done now. We should have rested them over xmas... not both at the same time but separately. They may be are best players but they didn't sound like it against Bristol Rovers because they were run down after so many games. There is no reason he couldn't have put Henry in with McLaren against Crewe and Ahmed in against Cheltenham with Jennings. That would have helped. The games from now will start to become less frequent and so resting players won't be needed as much. Ronnie missed his chance.

Joe, have you actually seen Adnam Ahmed play? I was warned by a Huddersfield fan that he was poor and in the two times I've seen him in a Rovers shirt, he's been far worse than that. a half-fit McLaren or Jennings is light years better. That said, would have liked to see Paul Henry given more opportunities and I do think when a player looks jaded during the game, as Jennings apparently was v Orient, then taking him off early is not a bad thing.

Agree with the majority that sacking Ronnie now would be daft. However the loan signings to bolster the squad have failed to materialise so far and I've little confidence that this side will get past Hereford. We need about another 15 points to avoid the drop and none of the impending games look easy on paper. If we're outclassed by a struggling side like Bristol Rovers the prospects don't look rosy.