• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0 - 1 Referee (Stockport)

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
A HUGE improvement on every game under Barnes, will write one of my long long reviews later, yes we lost but I'm much more positive than before.

DIW

Player
Goodison
A much improved display in parts, but the title of your post suggests that the ref was to blame for the defeat which is crap.
A calamitous attempt to play the offside trap (If he was offside the linesman should have called it, but I haven't seen it on TV yet) allowed them a free run on goal. Once Daniels had fouled him (and he did) the ref had no choice but to give a pen and red card.

Up until that point we had looked like getting at least a draw.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The title was a little tongue in cheek, in that I've not seen the television coverage but from where I was sat it didn't look like a pen. And the ref was miles off the pace, he couldn't have been within 40 yards of it, so how he can be so sure baffles me too. Anyway more to come when I'm done with my essay :razz:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
we played fairly well in the first half but missed our chances, edds really should have scored at least one of his headers, 2nd half the passing wasnt too good.
We cant blame the ref as it was a penalty and under the laws of the game its a red card, curran like edds should have scored but put his header straight at the keeper.

A very frustrating result as i thought we were the better team but were made to pay for missed chances and a poor attempt to play offside.
The effort was there but the quality is sadly lacking and our situation becomes more desperate by the game, we badly need to win on saturday and get a new manager in quickly.

Ally

Player
Aldo
Watched this on the skytellybox in the pub (obviously had to ask the landlord to change from the women's pool on sky sports 3 - this is Yorkshire after all). Have to say the lads passed it round quite well in the first half, with Gornell, Edds and Curran coming close in the 1st half, and to be fair, we should have been 2-0 or even 3-0 up after 45 minutes. Edds really should have scored and the other chances were decent enough to test the keeper. Mahon was a bit lacklustre in the midfield but defensively we looked capable, with Logan threatening a few times down the flanks. Daniels made a bit of a hash of one clearance which resulted in a long range effort narrowly missing the goal from over 40 yards but apart from that County rarely threatened.

In the 2nd half we didn't really pick up the pace as I would have liked and despite a few half-chances County started to come back into the game a bit. Mahon was replaced by Welsh which was a long time coming really, he seems to be a bit off the pace and although he's not a ball winner, with a (sort of) 4-3-3 formation adopted, he really needed to get his foot in a bit more. Then, a long ball caught the back 4 out and their number 7 collected the ball, knocked it past Daniels and his out-stretched foot caught the player - definite pen. Goodison had tracked back to clear the ball but it was a clear pen and to be fair the ref had no choice but to show the red card. Baker then duly desptached the kick into the top left corner. 1-0 County. Collister could do little about the well-placed kick.

After that we huffed and puffed, and Curran again had a gilt-edged chance to score after good work down the right flank, Edds crossing the ball and Craig's glancing header flashed wide (bad miss on the replay). We played ok, clearly the lads were trying to do something in front of the physio/manager and sky cameras, but it wasn't to be.

Generally, we played ok, and certainly had our moments where we should really have put the ball away. There's defo a lack of confidence in front of goal and perhaps Ricketts or Bain might have deserved a few minutes to make an impact.

All in all, disappointing, but it's a difficult time with Barnes now gone and let's face it Sir Les is doing what he can. Whoever comes in to take the reigns on a permanent basis has his work cut out and I just hope PJ makes the right decision... for once.

Player
Liam Palmer
Hurrah! After four years we have abandoned that horrible 4-4-2 with two wide men contributing little.

Thought we looked much more solid and compact even with a more risky 4-4-3.

Should have been out-of-sight by half-time.

Dreadful goal. Catalogue of errors, thought I saw Barnes in the dugout (thankfully it was Chief). Goal reminded me of the Barnes 'era'.

Curran could have had 6 goals in the last week.

Ricketts should have come on. Big, fat, immobile, but might just have given their young defence a bit more to think about.

Another game, another defeat. And this was, on paper, one of the ones you would look to win.

Still, an improvement, of sorts.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't wholly convinced about our performance tonight, there were long periods of Stockport possession, when we struggled to get out of our half, though certainly we had the better chances in the first half. The penalty and sending-off was the turning point in the game and although we battled well after conceding, there was no real end product.

I haven't seen the penalty incident again, so can only go on my view and that of a Stockport fan on the train back. Assuming that the initial ball wasn't offside, there was a one-on-one with their player and Daniels, who came out to the edge of his box. The Stocky fan said their player seemed to have lost control of the ball by the time Daniels made contact with him and Daniels was trying to get the ball rather than their player. Coupled with the fact that if he had got past Daniels then Goodison was back on the line so Daniels wasn't last man, the red card was harsh a yellow would have been fairer. The liner on that side who had a better view didn't seem to be flagging for a penalty, so as NBDH points out, it was a decision of the ref, who was some distance from the play. Mr Booth wasn't the worst ref that I've seen at PP, but he seemed to give every 50/50 decision Stockport's way.

I'd probably make Craig Curran my MoM, for workrate, Edds being the only other in contention. Bakayogo seems too much of a liability to want him starting regularly and I hope he was selected to counter Stockys physical presence rather than the start of a long run-out. McLaren was anonymous, ITM had a fairly quiet game and Mahon ran out of steam after a good first half.

The caretakers, Les and Shaun did ok, the side seemed well-motivated and didn't throw in the towel when we went a goal and a man behind. However, I'd agree with Ally that we missed a trick in not introducing Ricketts as our final sub. As well as his physical presence, the fact that Stockport hadn't given him a deal after his trial there may have meant he was more determined to prove a point. Overall, we deserved something from the game, so desparately need 3 points at the weekend.

Player
Nixon
I reckon we have improved a tad allready.

Daniels - Didnt do a lot wrong through the game.until sending off.

Defence - did ok me thinks...
babbakkooooyo is v.quick without looking it.He'll improve the more he plays.
Goodison much better and solid.
Broomes won most things in the air.
Logan worked hard.

Midfield - Very poor.
Mclaren has no grit/desire and gave the ball away over and over.
Mahon was poor also,for a player with a good pedigree it wasnt a good showing.
Edds was good, never been a fan of his, but he played a good battling roll tonight. (in fact ran past mclaren twice to put challenges in)

Forwards -
Curren missed too many chances, must be a make or break season for him.
Gornell battled and tried hard.
Thomas-Moore ran his socks off and battled for everything as usual.

MOM for me
Edds.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Was really disappinted last night. Not so much with the performance, but with the result. A draw would have been a fair result as both teams had decent chances. Thought we had the better of the chances and we are really suffering in front of goal. We can't stick it in the net.

Curran isn't up to the job, Gornell off the pace and Thomas-Moore runs around a lot and will come up with the odd goal or two. We could have been 2-0 up at half time, but the quality isn't there sadly.

I liked the effort and desire in the first half. It was refreshing to see, even if there are still underlying issues which needs addressing. I guess you can't expect a massive improvement overnight just because the two jesters have gone.

The second half wasn't as good. Stockport started to get a grip on the game but I do feel the penalty was harsh, from what I remember. Haven't see it yet on TV. Broomes who I thought had a good game up until this point and Goodison were caught hopelessly flat footed, but I don't think Daniels did anything wrong. Their player froze in front of him, Daniels dived for the ball. The player fell over Daniels. I may be wrong. lol

That was the game from that point on. Worst thing that could have happened. Now we have Daniels missing for 3 games? Kid in goal when we really need to be picking up points.

Thought McLaren was useless last night, he slows down the play so much. Really not what we need. Mahon was better in the middle but lost his way more so in the second half.

Bakayogo was OK. Better going forward than defending and certainly no worse than Cresswell.

It's been said in this thread, but the sooner we get a manager in the better. There's a lot of work to do.. and the season seems to be flying!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
OK....I'm a bit worried now. We need an experienced manager in fast.

I wasn't that impressed last night. Didn't think the 4-3-3 worked. Playing 3 centre forwards, none of them with any real height didn't make sense to me. Parry is a legend but last night, albeit one game, showed me he doesn't have what it takes. The substitutions confused me. Before they scored, replacing Mahon for Welsh looked like a defensive change to me, as if he had settled for a point. We were at home against a poor side !
Secondly - in the 2nd half esp, Goodison constantly lumped balls up from the back that their 2 centre halfs headed away all night long. We needed a physical presence up there so what does he do ? Bring Shuker on alongside Moore!

My managerial experience is limited to Championship Manager but what about Barnett for Mahon and Ricketts for Curran ??

If we had been at home to Leeds then I would have taken 0-0 but against a poor side we should have been more positive and gone for the win before we had Daniels sent off.

Bakayoko looked ok but i didnt think any better than Cresswell so an unnecessary signing if you ask me.

Player
Liam Palmer
The penalty and sending-off was the turning point in the game and although we battled well after conceding, there was no real end product."

Except that we created our best chance of the night. Curran really should have scored that header instead of flashing it by.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'll take your word for it, sitting in the Paddocks you don't get the clearest view when people are leaving. However, I disagree with Ian about Curran. The lad was out for most of last season and hasn't been given a regular slot this one. The fact is he's getting into all the right places to score suggests it's only a matter of time before his finishing improves. Compare with ITM & Gornell, who worked hard but had little to show for it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think it is only a one game ban for daniels.

Edds played ok but should have scored twice with his head the same for curran. Gornell hardly won a header all night, i couldnt understand why ricketts wasnt used and as for mclaren he was very poor, hes that deep hes in danger of standing on the centre halve toes.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Lets try and bare in mind that Les and Shaun only had at most 2 days to prepare for this game. They are trying to get a team that has no confidence in themselves or in each other to dig in and battle for each other. I felt that there seemed to be a lot more desire by the players last night and feel that if we are trying to make judgements about the team then we should do so after the game on saturday when Les has has a whole week to prepare the players. I would also say that if you were getting tonked every week, had just got rid of the manager and were low on confidence the last thing you would want would be to be live on sky for the whole country to see how bad you are?

As I say I was encouraged that we looked more interested roll on saturday!!!

Player
Liam Palmer
I agree Bunny. Also, Gornell's hardly played all season, give him a chance at least. I thought the front three looked really bright first half. At least Curran is getting into the right areas to score. Again, he needs to be given a chance.

My only concern, and I was proved right, was that Les and Shaun might not react if County changed their shape. That happened second half - they pushed up a lot further, stopping Logan from getting forward and meaning more hoof front-to-back. I said during the game that Ricketts should have come on, but Les doesn't fancy him much (lazy at training).

Still, I reckon if we play like that on Saturday we'll win. So there.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Surprised at how up-beat some of you are - I felt more beat-up after watching that terrible game of football last night. It actually was the lowest-quality match I've seen at this level. Neither side could string 3 passes together and both should have been deducted points for being so embarassingly misrepresentative of the standard of football expected in this league, and live on tv too.

So yes, on the evening we probably matched Stockport, but this is a benchmark set at "relegation" height and if we play as we did last night on a regular basis then we'll be getting smashed 3-0+ by most teams in this league. Anything other than 3 points at home to a team like Stocko is a disaster.

Les should have acknowledged his lack of tacitcal/organisational skills and opted to keep things simple for his first game. Making wholesale changes - both tactical and in terms of personell - was really a gamble that was never likely to pay off. The 4-3-3 was an utter mess and we looked completely disorganised; keeper sent off, defence at fault for the goal, midfield literally non-existant and of the front 3, only Curran offered anything going forward. The work-rate was higher than under Barnes, but the standard of football was a lot worse.

Bring in Cotterill ASAP.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Fair play to Les for going for a 4-3-3 formation which was really 4-5-1 if we're honest, to try and keep things tight defensively, but give us a little bit extra going forward.

Gornell has hardly played and looked a bit rusty to be honest. So that didn't help us going forward. Don't think he's featured that prominently either for the reserves, but I like him as a player and think he has bags of potential.

It's the same old problems with us, and Les isn't going to sort them out overnight. The defence did so well, then one lapse and i think Broomes ducked under the ball (did he???) and left their lad in acres of space. Whether it was a pen or not, like Les said, how on earth was that allowed to happn?!

We're bad at both ends, don't score and concede too easily. Need a good experienced manager in soon to sort out the organisation at the back. More organised will hopefully mean more clean sheets.

Get Ian Muir in to coach the strikers on finishing! It sounds like he wants a job (if his radio interview was to give any indication) and who better to learn off than THE master? We could do a lot worse, him and the Chief?! Get them strikers scoring!

Player
Liam Palmer
Sonkorly - bit surprised at your reaction to last night. I usually agree with most of your assessments, but I thought last night was a huge improvement on the last home game I saw, a chaotic embarrassment against Wallsall. That day the defence looked like it was caught in a bomb scare.

I'm not going to pretend that last night was great - it wasn't, although I thought County passed it about quite well, contrary to what you wrote. However, sometimes we have to remember that we are watching football in the third tier of English football. Even when it's good, it's not that good!

Still, we do have to beat teams like County to stay up - five of the next six fixtures come into the 'winnable' category. Care to predict how many points we'll pick up?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
sadly i think we are in such a poor state that we will fail to beat brighton on saturday.

I just dont see were the goals will come from and the defence makes at least one costly mistake a game and as for a clean sheet!!!

Maybe when we get a new manager in things may pick up but i fear whoever comes in wont be able to change that much as will be stuck with the same poor squad.