• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-0 Rochdale

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bleedin' hell, what do we have to do to get a goal around here. ](*,)
Didn't sound great on the radio. Usual last few minutes of furious activity, players hitting the deck. Customary booing at FT.

Can't beat Rochdale at home, we have serious issues.

How was Lateef? Why was Akins up front? Was Stockton any good when he came on?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we played pretty well after the opening twenty five minutes, and dominated the second half. We created a hatful of chances but couldn't take any of them.

Lateef was impressive with his pace and skill and linked up well with Akins, but missed two sitters. We looked genuinely inventive at times with Devaney also having a pretty good game, but our good approach play was undone by our inability to hit the target from ten yards. Stockton was impressive when he came on, strong, held the ball well and was unlucky with a good shot from the edge of the box.

I believe that Tiryaki and Bakayogo were both missing due to illness, but regardless of the absentees I was mystified by the decision to play Taylor in midfield ahead of Labadie. In the first half hour we were all over the place in the middle, with absolutely no protection being given to the back four. Although we gradually got to grips with the formation, Taylor still struggled in possession and gave the ball away in bad areas on a number of occasions: this is not his fault, he is a centre back not a holding midfield player. What is it with Les's obsession with playing square pegs in round holes ?

The game was actually much more entertaining than I had expected, but I am deeply concerned by our inability to beat anyone. One point from two games against sides in the bottom four does not augur well for what is now surely a relegation scrap. Hopefully Lateef will weigh in with a few goals once he settles in fully.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I wouldn't say we played well. We created a handful of good opportunities against an atrocious team simply by knocking a few crosses into the box.

Not sure why the decision to make JW man of the match was met with such anger from the crowd?

The decision to play Ash ahead of Joss in a game like that leaves a lot of explaining. Unacceptable result.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I wouldn't say we played well. We created a handful of good opportunities against an atrocious team simply by knocking a few crosses into the box.

Maybe my expectations have been lowered. But yes, inability to beat Yeovil or Rochdale does make you wonder whether we will win another game this season.

Player
Liam Palmer
Stop-start performance which gradually improved after a slow and nervy start. Could and should have scored a couple but really we only showed enough urgency in the last few minutes and never put Dale under any sustained pressure.

Poor result against a very ordinary opponent, although their midfield looked better than ours for most of the game it has to be said.

The only reason I can offer for Ash starting in midfield ahead of Joss is that Joss may be carrying an injury. Also, he does have attitude problems, I'm told.

The next month could be a grim struggle unless we can bring in a couple of new faces - maybe using some of the dosh we'll get for Muzzy.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We started badly, Rochdale had a couple of good early chances and I would say were the better side in the 1st half. There are certainly worse sides than them in this league. Rovers got going from ~25minutes, Akins point-blank header brought a decent save from the keeper and Lateef didn't make the best use of a pull-back from a corner.

Second half was fairly frantic from Rovers, but not much end-product, while at the other end, Rachubka made a decent stop and the ball was then cleared off the Rovers line. We had some decent ball going into their box, but nobody in a white shirt had a killer touch. Cole Stockton looked quite promising when he came on, though expectation had been dampened down about what he might offer.

I don't think Welsh played better or worse than the rest of the side, but would struggle to pick a MoM; McChrystal or Holmes maybe.

Perhaps TT can enlighten us on the injuries/other absences. It sounded from the o/s that a stomach bug accounted for Tiryaki and McGurk. Zoum? Seems like a number of players picked up knocks during the game.

Finally, a Parry Out banner was waved in the Johnny King near the start of the game. The sentiment didn't seem to attract much support, although too many more games similar to this one may change that.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We were ok in parts but certainly did not deserve to win the game as we were not the better side, both teams created several chances but they tried to pass the ball around more than we did.

We really are in big trouble now and how les plays ash in centre midfield is beyond belief when he has got joss and max power on the bench.

1 win in 13 games which is only likely to get worse i really cant see how so many people are behind les as manager, id rather try summerfield and mcmahon until the end of the season as i fear the worst if les remains manager 4-5-1 at home to rochdale just is unreal, wouldve been better giving stockton ago with akins from the start.

Player
Liam Palmer
The guy with the 'Parry Out' banner is, of course, entitled to his views and to making them known. I happen not to agree with him, and told him so, but there you go. Is it helpful to have someone waving a banner like that before the game? I don't know. You could argue it could galvanise the team if they saw it, but there wasn't much evidence of that in the first half. Maybe they didn't see it.

As for the injuries, McGurk did his hamstring (another one!), Muzzy and Zoom were 'ill'. I expect Muzzy to leave anyway and I wouldn't be surprised if Joss went too as leverage for bringing someone else in.

With two wins between them in 28 matches before last night, Tranmere v Rochdale was probably always a banker for 0-0. Pity I didn't put some money on it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Joss won't go. He's under contract till the summer, nobody will pay money for him.

I'm pretty much certain that Muz will leave tho. We are being offered money by a bigger club for a player who is out of contract in the summer and who our manager does not seem to rate. Questions about a replacement will come afterwards, although I doubt his transfer would free up much of our wage budget.

The Parry out guy is a prick, nuff said.

DIW

Player
Goodison
We could have won, but where have we heard that before?

Lacking a cutting edge as usual. Bizarre that Taylor gets the nod in front of Labadie for that position, I know he's apparently got an attitude problem but that team selection would piss me off. Having said that he proved again when he came on what a diver he is.

Lateef looked lively, he should do well for us but he missed our best chance. Akins is not a league 1 player.

The Parry out banner was ***** in every way, how that is helpful to anyone I don't know and generally got the treatment from the crowd it deserved.

We will lose the next two games. If it wasn't for the reasonable start we would be right in it now and are definitely heading that way. Depressing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Parry Out banner was a joke but not really a suprise given our run of form. I doubt Les will be bothered, even though he would have seen it - but you wonder what the players make of it.

Joss should have started, simple as. I dont care about his attitude when we need someone who adds goals from midfield, and is decent at penalties and free kicks. When your at home against a side low on confidence who are conceding lots, you play a strong attacking line up. You dont play Ash and Welsh in midfield together. Les got that wrong.

Akins/Lateef linked up well. Not sure about Devaney - he doesnt seem to have any pace to beat a man and his tricks werent that successful - he needs time tho to get back to fitness but do we have enough time ??

Another big game on Sat

darrens8761

darrens8761
Player
ITM
we had chances. but so did rochdale. overall it was an even game. but lets not forget we should be beating rochdale at home given their position and terrible form.

why do so many people have blind faith in les parry? i will not boo him or anything but i do agree with the parry out banner man. les has preached play offs all season. going into new year after bury game he said play offs and he has failed to deliver.

we will survive as we always do no doubt but we will never go anywhere under les. reluctant to change formation and style home or away is his problem. very ronnie moore like in his ways. sets up to be hard to beat , very boring to watch.