• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-0 Aldershot

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Erm.. hardly a classic.

In fact, it was quite poor to watch. Tranmere having the majority of possession but didn't make the best of it.

Aldershot, didn't play badly. They defended quite well but offered little going forward.

If we had that little bit more quality up front, we would have finished them off. Gornell was hopeless as was Welsh today. Lots of stray passes and lack of creativity throughout the side.

Sadly, it could easily have been a drab second division league game this one. A sample of things to come?

Well, at least we are still in for draw for the 3rd round, but who fancies going to Aldershot on a cold, wet Tuesday night?!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
would have to agree ian this was a poor performance, they came for a draw and we didnt have the ability to break them down.
i thought gornell was awful he hardly won a header couldnt control the ball and was lucky not to be sent off as several times lead with his arm/elbow, that said th rest of the attck and midfield were little better.
We may yet scrape through to the next round but need to put up a better effort.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd agree that the match was forgettable, it was also frustrating as while the visitors had the bulk of possession, Rovers had the better chances. If the one class moment, Welsh's shot from the edge of the box which hit the post and rolled along the line to the other had gone in, or one of our strikers got a toe to put in the net, things could have been very different.

Rovers played ok in the first half, but things went downhill, when Shuker had to go off. The strategy for the second half seemed to be lumping long aimless balls forward aimed at nobody in particular and Daniels directing most of his kicks towards Curran on the left-wing. A few fair chances were spurned and I thought we were going to throw the match away with some shaky defending in the last 10 minutes, home players giving the ball away/colliding with each other in our penalty area. Neither of the subs made an impact, ITM didn't seem his normal self at all in terms of work-rate, rather be with Daddy? Ricketts did very little and a player of his stature should try jumping occasionally.

Ian commented on the lack of atmosphere at the Southend game, that was positively vibrant in comparison with the home support today, only one real spell of singing early in the 2nd half. The Shots fans (about 300?) made a decent noise throughout. People getting on Ash Taylor's back for a couple of misplaced passes late on aren't going to do the kid any good and he was one of our better players overall.

Don't know what will happen in the replay, but anyone who thought that L2 with this squad would be a cakewalk will have had a rude awakening.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can we have a drummer like they had! They created a great noise in the away end and were much louder than us. Credit to them, decent turnout.

Boz, who's been getting on Taylor's back? I've only heard good things over the last few games.

Player
Johnny morrissey
Poor game in all, but we are still in with a shout in the second leg!!!
Great away support today fair play to them, sorry to hear the reports of there coaches getting bricked on the way out:oops:, hope they all got back safe and well!!!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Boz, who's been getting on Taylor's back? I've only heard good things over the last few games.
Ian, there were a couple of misplaced passes towards the end of the game from Ash. As a result he got some stick from the Paddocks/Main Stand. Can only undermine the lad's confidence and unnacceptable in my view.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Ian, there were a couple of misplaced passes towards the end of the game from Ash. As a result he got some stick from the Paddocks/Main Stand. Can only undermine the lad's confidence and unnacceptable in my view.

Yep. That said, if Ash is going to make it as a midfielder at this level, he's really going to have to work on his passing. He's surprised me though, I've been impressed by him. As close to a like-to-like Tony Kay replacement as we're likely to find.

I thought the game was ok, quite enjoyed it for some reason. Thought the Aldershot fans created a really good atmosphere. Quite a close game, neither keeper tested offered enough though really.

Thought we missed Shukes when he went off - lacked a creative spark. We looked organised and the defence looked solid throughout - can't remember us ever having a player on our books who is as quick as Bakayogo. Welsh and Taylor battled really well in midfield but both gave away posession far to cheaply at times - Welsh's long range passing was very wayward, but on the whole I thought he put in a good all-action performance. What we lack in that midfield 3 is a bit of creativity. Too much long ball. Barnett...

O

OneNightInGayParis

My first game this season on Saturday and I must say, firstly, that since I took my lad and dad I was relieved to have missed the trouble that has been discussed elsewhere. Without the excellent away support there would have been very little atmosphere, so the actions of these idiots was particularly inappropriate.

From what I have followed via TV highlights, match reports, discussion etc. I was fairly surprised by what I witnessed on Saturday. In defence I was surprised by the lack of command Daniels had over his penalty area - despite redeeming himself with a good save, a sharper attack than Aldershot's may have made us pay. Communication with the defence was pretty poor. Goodison scared me to death whenever required to intercept or tackle - it seemed 50/50 between class and good fortune that he kept attacks at bay. Logan made lots of errors, but had the pace to get himself out of his own mess more often than not. I have followed Broomes since his Blackburn Rovers' days and never rated him - I really couldn't believe it when we signed him - however, I thought he played pretty well on Saturday. My MOM, though, was definitely Bakayogo.

I was impressed by Ash Taylor and thought he was the standout midfielder. There was definitely something missing though, when we were attacking. A number of times play up to the final ball was good, but then it was as if the attackers were strangers! There was little understanding of where the final pass was going to go and no anticipation. Shuker definitely adds a spark and I thought ITM showed better awareness than Curran or Gornell - I really think one of the 2 need to make way for him as we surely need both Shukes and ITM in the line up if we are going to be anything other than pedestrian and predictable going forward.

All said and done we were very unfortunate not to win; Aldershot were poor, Welsh was very unlucky and the referee seemed to be on a vendetta in the first half. An away win should be a possibility. Fingers crossed!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, although the game was not a great spectacle, the lure of a home tie against Premiership opposition should be at least a reason for playing well in the replay. Really, we should have won that game on Saturday. I couldn't see Aldershot scoring, and don't think they'll provide much at their home ground, it's just up to the lads to get stuck in with a couple of goals. Yes, Welsh was unlucky but we should have given more up front, instead of harping on about a good 25-yarder early on in the game.

The second half wasn't good enough in terms of going forward. I sat near the kop end in the second half hoping to see some action, and nothing much happened!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
The game was poor, but look we didnt concede again, we were in the draw yesterday, and we know exactly what we need to do in the replay. We WILL beat Aldershot in the replay and will then play an under strength Wolves at Prenton Park. They will expect a walkover but a passion filled rovers side will over power them and snatch a late winner to the delight of the Rovers faithful.
Fa cup 4th round will provide us with another home tie against a championship club and we will be in the hat for the fifth round. Its all a little too easy.............:cold:​

O

OneNightInGayParis

Brilliant! They'd better start thinking about Wembley merchandise ...