• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the contrast between Adams and Adkins in their approach to the January window is stark, although I do think Adkins inherited far better players to work with than Adams did. Btw our position going into the January window under Adams was actually much worse than where we were this year (we went into 2015 outside the relegation positions only on goal difference, although we had started picking up a few results by then).

Anyway, if Adams had an extra £300k to spend it certainly didn’t look as if he’d spent it. But he clearly was being pressurised in some respects on recruitment, presumably by MP, with Hume being the most obvious example, as the player himself has since referred to publicly.

Incidentally, for this window, Palios’ programme notes went no further than saying we’ll try to strengthen where we can, and that we’re working hard to ensure 2024 will see us back fighting for promotion. I think it was mentioned elsewhere on here recently that we’re already averaging two points a game (title winning form!) under Adkins so I don’t see MP was even hinting that we’d be very active. Apter’s extension alone, though, can be regarded as significant, imho.

As for guesses about what we might do before tomorrow night, Adkins’ messaging has been consistent, so I still think there’s a possibility that someone he’d like to keep may go, but only if we have a replacement lined up (and not necessarily like for like). Besides that, I reckon we might just send a couple out on loan. But who knows!

Last edited:

drwhoman

As has been said, no point in bringing players in unless they enhance the squad. A striker might be nice but good ones are like hens teeth. I am not sure that a youngster loan is the answer. Koumas junior has potential as does young Danns but I am not sure either is ready physically for the hurly burly of League Two.

Reactions: Ian

ADD

Player
Norwood
I still expect that there will be at least one in today and a few out either today or as others have said once things have settled down into none League clubs where there is no window. Merrie and Taylor surely should be going out whilst if we can get anything for Hawkes surely we will accept although I read elsewhere we have an option on him for next season.
Not sure that it is Adkins making the call re the squad anymore than Hill or MM were. Reality is though we are now averaging 2 points a game to claw back 8 points plus on the play off spot teams ahead of us is very unlikely and ultimately MP will be guided by that (even assuming he has kept some money back).
Apter returning means that assuming he stays fit we have enough in our locker to continue to play bright entertaining football where we will certainly win more than we lose. This will keep up morale on the pitch and in the stands and hopefully as the season progresses Adklins will be able to play around with personnel and formation to an extent with a view to making early decisions on players to retain for next season.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we loan Sam Taylor out, it should be for a month rather than the rest of the season.I agree with ADD that the prospect of making the play-offs is slim, though not yet impossible. We must be mid-table Cup contenders again, the first team who can’t get promoted or relegated. Once that point is reached, I hope that Nigel does look at Sam and other squad players getting some first team action, to assess their capability going forward.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
A Trip to the Moon. Has a live podcast tonight on the transfer window.
Just to let you know.

Stockport, Blackpool, Salford and Port Vale amongst the teams after him.
Sidibeh has ended up moving from Rylands to St Johnstone. Two and a half year deal, fee undisclosed.

So we won’t have to face him when we play them in the Liverpool Senior Cup next week. Mind you, ex Everton striker Oumar Niasse scored a hattrick against our Cheshire Senior Cup side and he’s just been binned by Macclesfield!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Accrington signed striker Jake Bick on loan from Wrectum.
Kilmarnock sign striker Kevin van Veen 6ft 1inch - decent pedigree in Holland and has done well in our lower leagues.
Wouldn't have said no to either.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
So none in none out, disappointing we hadn't got anymore off the books though there's the chance of loans to non league clubs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given Ousmane reported as a defensive midfielder, not an area we're particularly deficient in, so must have something about him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m all for signing promising players. I expect the delay is due to contractual and/or immigration issues. It can be difficult to sign foreign players but might gave been easier as he’s a recent international. I read he’d played in the qualifiers for the African Cup of Nations but didn’t make the squad for the finals.

We now have 32 pros on the books. Surely at least three or four must be off on loan soon, if only to keep them match fit.

His involvement in the AFCON qualifiers seems to be 20 minutes as a sub: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ousmane-kane/nationalmannschaft/spieler/1099723. Still, a cap’s a cap.

He also played in all Senegal’s games in last year’s African Nations Cup, which they actually won. But that’s a tournament in which countries can only pick players who play in their domestic leagues so I don’t know if they count as full Internationals, whether by FIFA or by the UK immigration service!

Anyway we’ve had a good look at him so he’s got potential. Intrigued to see how he develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.