• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Supporters trust meeting reminder

Player
Backayogo
I heard today that the bloke who owns Home Bargains is looking at buying us. How true it is, I don't know. Worth £700 million apparently.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Tom Morris owns Home & Bargains think the family are worth over £1 billion though not sure he will buy us.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If there is any truth in the rumour, I think Tom Morris would be a reasonably responsible owner. Certainly preferable to the majority of the people we have been linked to in the past.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We'll, it is a well run business, but he probably has more sense than to throw his money away at TRFC. I see the trust need another 400k before PJ entertains them. They've managed to raise 100k so far.. Not a bad amount really but well short of what they need. Is there really any point the trust pursuing this crazy dream?

Player
Nixon
I've met Mr.Morris a few times when I was involved with the Super lambanana expo in Liverpool.

He was on the next table to me at the official Auction at the St.Georges Hall in Lpool. Think he bought about 12 Lambanans rangeing from £3000-£10k

He also got big time involved with the Go Penguin expo trail the next year.

Proper sound business man and a level headed grass-roots gent. If he bought TRFC I would be very happy.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ian, its not a crazy dream its our best hope of something good happening too the club. I have joined the trust and im sure a lot more will and I think they will get the amount of money needed.

Player
Manager
John King
We'll, it is a well run business, but he probably has more sense than to throw his money away at TRFC. I see the trust need another 400k before PJ entertains them. They've managed to raise 100k so far.. Not a bad amount really but well short of what they need. Is there really any point the trust pursuing this crazy dream?

It is hardly a 'crazy dream' when a number of clubs similar to ourselves are already supporter owned (Wrexham, Chester, Exeter, Portsmouth....). And if the trust don't take over we had better hope that the new owner is responsible or we will end up like Stockport.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sorry - I don't mean what they are trying to achieve. I meant financially. Bigmart - so far they have raised 100k in 2 years. They need to raise another 400k in 2 months. Seriously..

Player
Backayogo
With regards to Tom Morrison buying Rovers I don't think it would be a crazy idea. Much more fun, in my view to buy a little Club and buiding them up to a good side, rather than boringly always investing in them lot at the top. Investing in the Club and making them a viable proposition would be a good thing. Anyway it's only a rumour. We can only dream.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
You get the distinct feeling that this sale is finally going to happen. It sounds like PJ is keen to be away by the year end, which is a great time for new owner / investor to be in place; just in time for the transfer window being open!

I think the most likely person appears to the Salford Reds owner Koukash. I think he has a genuine interest in make a success of what he buys in to and appears to be pretty wealthy.

The idea of community ownership is great and it would be ideal if the Trust weren't successful in their purchase that the new owners have a close relationship with them. However community ownership makes it really hard for significant investment into to the club and the team. Being honest we need someone wealthy enough to take a gamble on a reasonable amount of investment to take us into the Championship, where the financial benefits are much greater than our current position.

As long as we don't get a new owner who's plan is getting us in the Champions Leagues in 5 years!!! but more like making us into a good championship side that can compete in the top half regularly, then I think we'll be OK.

It is exciting to think of another new chapter in the clubs history about to play out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ian, I think they will raise the money by the end of the year.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the Trust will be able to raise the initial £500,000; the issue is really whether they will have the financial clout longer term to sustain the club. The club pretty much breaks even on an annual basis at present and that would probably continue under the trust, but there are periodic cash shortfalls which PJ has funded from his other enterprises - hence the 400k loan last year - and the trust simply would not have access to that kind of cash on a short term basis. I am still broadly supportive of their aims, however.

It is possible that PJ is simply going through the motions in allowing the trust to table an offer and already has a new owner lined up; he would otherwise stand accused of not allowing the trust to enter the bidding process. If that is the case, I just hope the new owner is reputable and responsible.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I'm with you RLC on that I think PJ has a buyer lined up, hence the non disclosure agreements. All along PJ has made it quite clear he wouldn't sell to anyone who didn't have the interests of Tranmere Rovers at the heart of the proposal. I can't see why this would change now, as he's had plenty of opportunity to jump ship before now.

I'm pleased that it appears to be finally coming to a head and whilst we have alot to thank PJ for, we can only hope for some investment to take the club forward on and off the pitch.

drwhoman

Koukash was interviewed on Australian TV last night. Seems a larger than life sort of guy. Started life in a Palestinian refugee camp. His values seem to be work hard, believe in what you are doing and appreciate the luck that comes your way. Personable although from one or two things he said he would not be a guy to disappoint if you want to keep your job! His horse finished third in the Melbourne Cup today, the closest thing we have to the Derby. He will be happy I am sure. Michael Owen also had a runner but it did not feature in the places. The winner was trained by a woman, the first woman to ever train a Melbourne Cup winner.