• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Summer rumour mill

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Hi folks its that time of the year again when the rumour mill goes into overdrive. Just wondered if anyone has heard of us moving for someone? I heard on city the other day we were in talks with Robbie Savage, we were going to sign Allott from Oldham and were also being linked with Lowe from Chester.
Personally dont know anything about Allott despite seeing us play Oldham twice this season......which is a little worrying!!! As for Savage he is one of those players who you hate when he is playing against you however seems to be adhored by his own support, he is a wind up merchant who enjoys getting stuck in. So am all for that one myself, it would certainly cause a bit of interest.
On the outgoing players I believe Barnett is bound for Barnsley, and Jennings is also on the move.:-(

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I expect either Jenno or Barnett to stay - more likely the latter - and I suppose we'll make our signings accordingly. Alan Mahon has been released today, and is an obvious one that we'll be linked with. I for one wouldn't welcome his arrival with as much excitement as some - he's hardly had a glistening career, despite his apparent talent.

Center half Mark Hughes is another one we've been quite strongly linked with, and would be a very good replacement for Chorley (can't see us signing someone of his calibre unless he leaves, though we do need another center-half of some description given Kay/Waterfall have left). I would personally speculate that Terrell Forbes from Yeovil may also be on the agenda, given that Ronnie has signed him before (at Oldham). He's a good center-half at this level, for sure.

Danny Graham might be a realistic option if we decide to sign a striker - would be surprised if we did though. He's young and quick and could score goals at a team like ours.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Allott has been announced as the first signing of the summer, and I for one wouldn't be surprised if Mr Mahon landed at Prenton and unlike Sonkorly, I'd very much welcome his presence in midfield. The boy is absolute class, albeit a bit older and little injury prone but undoubted quality, was led astray too much by his money grabbing agent but I'd love to see him back in the white shirt to try and bring back the Wembley 2000 type days back to the club.

Rather take him than Robbie Savage if i was offered the choice of the two anyway. Expect to see abit more movement in the transfer market in the coming days and Ronnie attempts to build the defence and midfield for next season, as well as a goalkeeper or two... ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A central midfield of Mahon & Allott would be a bit antique for my liking, though still feel Mahon has something to offer. Is Danny Graham out of contract? Don't know that much about him, but a more consistent scorer than Bas is needed.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
A central midfield of Mahon & Allott would be a bit antique for my liking, though still feel Mahon has something to offer. Is Danny Graham out of contract? Don't know that much about him, but a more consistent scorer than Bas is needed.

My problem with Mahon is his injury record. In a squad as small as ours, we need reliable players. I'd also assume he'd be one of our top earners - think it's for the best we lay sentiment to rest, look forward rather 10 years back, and judge Alan as he is now. He's barely played 150 games since leaving us in 2000 - though Owen Coyle speaks highly of him, so he must have the right attitude. Could well end up a good signing, just think we need to be aware of the risk involved.

Danny Graham is indeed out of contract but I'd expect teams with more cash than us to jump in for him. Suppose Ryan Lowe might be a more realistic proposition - can play on the wing too. Not a world beater by any means but would do a job for a year...better than Sonko or Shuker...very much expect Ronnie to stick with Moore, Gornelll, Curran and Bas for this year though...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I know what you're syaing and I agree, we need players who can be versatile if required and available more often than not. Alan hasn't been playing regular football and seems to have picked up little knocks, but thats all part and parcel of the game. Don't think thats to say if he joined he'd be Les' best buddy in the treatment room.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Just a quickie on the Alan Mahon thing, spoke to someone at the club yesterday who seemed to think the deal was nearly done with us to bring him here on a 2 year deal. Not for one minute saying he will defo be here but it certainly looks like he is one of Ronnies targets.
On another note was surprised to see Peter Shirtliff moving on any takers on a new appointment?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
McAteer? Savage, if we sign him? (as rumoured?)

Who did you speak to at the club? Otherwise your claims are somewhat invalidated lol...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ned Kelly would be my number one pick but he won't leave Billy Davies at Forest. I'm sure Ronnie has his own plans and his own mates within the game who will work with him best so doesn't really matter what we think to be honest. I'll leave it with Ronnie.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would be delighted to see Mahon back at Prenton Park. Would be a quality edition to the squad if he remained fit. For all this talk of midfielders, we still need a striker as I dont think the trio of Moore, Savage and Curran would cut it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
In Savage, Moore, Curran and Gornell we have 4 competent strikers at this level. Unless Moore leaves I can't see us bringing anyone else in - 5 strikers would be a bit of an overindulgance! I have a lot of faith in both Gornell and Curran, perhaps moreso even than Moore who I don't think is particulaly great...Savage I like...

Player
Goodison
I think we need an extra striker as I can't see any of them getting 20+ goals which is what is needed.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
hmmm - thing is, if there's someone out there and available who we both know can score 20 goals a season at this level, they sure as hell aren't going to sign for us!

So, as I see it, we have 4 strikers, and strengthen other areas that realistically need bolstering...like, put it this way, If Chorley leaves we have one 36 year old center half - and we currently have no right back. with Jenno and Barnett looking increasingly likely to follow Kay out of the door, and Sonko having already left, we have no players remaining from the regular 4 midfielders that finished last season so strongly. Coyne still hasn't signed a contract and am I right in thinking that Achto isn't on the playing staff next season? So really, the last thing I'm worried about is our 4 strikers :-D

Expect lots of new faces this year though, so should be fun.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There's usually a flurry of activity in July. Think it's going to be a quiet month.. It's always good to see new faces though :)

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Still no news on the contracts and whether players are going to re-sign or not. Assume that the club have a reasonable idea but until that's sorted a lot of players won't come in in case we already have players in positions. Expect news of the current squad signing ... or not, before many more transfers start rolling in. But yes, there could be a brand new team on the field come August 8.

Player
Goodison
I've heard that Coyne is re signing as his agent can't find much interest elsewhere. Chorley may be going to the MLS (no idea if this is true), Barnett apprently thinks Tranmere are in his words "crap (he used more colourful terms)" and he thinks he's underpaid - good ridance if thats his attitude, as for Jennings he was apparently going to Ipswich until Keane took over but apprently wants a new challenge, linked with Norwich. (I wonder if he will go to QPR now Magilton is there).

Mahon will apparently sign a 2 year deal if he passes a test on his knee although Bury and Blackpool are said to be interested.

How about Dino Seremet or Barry Roche as new Goalkeepers? - we need at least 1.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Dino! Dino! Dino!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The more I hear about Barnett, the less impressed I am with his 'the big i am' attitude. Just because he's come from Liverpool, does not make him a superstar. He's far from it.. Sick and tired of these young players who think they are the bees knees, they are far from it (davies, thornton etc etc..)

Barnett isn't that good, he's currently an average div 1 player. He's got potential but he's got a long way to go until he starts to impress the good folk on the Wirral, nevermind looking any further afield.

If I'm honest, I wouldnt be that arsed if Jennings stayed/move on. I know a few on here like the guy, but I remain pretty neutral.

If Chorley went I'd be disapppointed. I think he'll stay.
Come on Mahon.. you know it makes sense. [-o<

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Despite his reported attitude, I'd have liked Barnett to stay, he's got potential and didn't do a bad job given Ronnie persisted in playing him out of position. By no means the finished article yet though.

If Chorley goes, we will need to get someone decent in the centre. Can see him going but to the MLS....?

Neutral about Jennings going and Mahon coming.

Roche seemed quite a solid keeper, is he out of contract? If Coyne's re-signing, can't see a new keeper being high on Ronnie's list.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
If Chorley goes, we will need to get someone decent in the centre. Can see him going but to the MLS....?

Neutral about Jennings going and Mahon coming.

Roche seemed quite a solid keeper, is he out of contract? If Coyne's re-signing, can't see a new keeper being high on Ronnie's list.

Yeah, odd as it sounds the MLS story actually has some legs...

Even if Coyne re-signs, with Achto only coaching next year we need some sort of cover.

Would rather keep Jenno than sign Mahon. Any day.