• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stevenage v Tranmere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jimmy Harvey
After a dismal few weeks Rovers go into the festive period searching for their first win in 5 league 1 fixtures. During this period Rovers have conceded 11 goals and have only managed to hit the target on 3 occasions. During this run Rovers have also crashed out of both the JPT and the FA Cup. The pressure is certainly mounting on Les Parry and his cause wont be helped by injuries to Fon Williams, Goodison, Raven and Lucas Akins. Parry aimed some of the blame for Saturdays defeat to MK Dons at the feet of supporters who showed their disapproval by booing the team off at half time and defeat this weekend could mean the boo boys would be out in force during Boxing days game against Rochdale.

Parry stated in todays Daily Post that he wants a return to defensive strength and is not overly concerned by the lack of goals being scored at the other end. It would seem Les's tactics from now on could well be defend deep as a team, and try to snatch a goal.
Stevenage are no chumps at home already having taken 3 pts from both Sheffield clubs and Charlton. Stevenage have managed 15 goals at home this campaign conceding just 9.

This will be a tough game for Rovers and my head rules my heart here am going for Stevenage 2 Tranmere 0.

What do you think?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Deceptively biased piece of writing, that.

We'll probably lose because we're away from home and out of form and they're higher in the table and we have like 5 first team players out injured.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Stevenage are unbeaten in ten, but have struggled to score goals in recent matches. However, given our extremely low confidence and a glut of injuries to first team regulars, we are really up against it.

I am sure another defeat would ensure a Merry Christmas for Les's band of critics. However, I remain convinced that Les's basic tactical approach is the right one given our current circumstances. Hopefully in the coming weeks we will make proper use of the 4-5-1, as we did in the first three months of the season, and will see an upturn in fortunes as a result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Les' reported comments about concentrating on defence don't promise a thriller here.

Stevenage are in a good run of form, but another side in the Notts County mould, in your face and arguing about everything. However, they are also exponents of the hoof-ball, so perhaps we'll end up slugging out a 0-0.

Lucas and perhaps Enoch added to the injury list. Probably McGurk replacing Akins, while presume Tiryaki will feature up front. Maybe Labadie coming in for Baxter or Robinson to bolster the defensive components of our midfield.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Deceptively biased piece of writing, that.

We'll probably lose because we're away from home and out of form and they're higher in the table and we have like 5 first team players out injured.

Whats biased about it? Is not everything in the piece true? I menetioned the injuries and your summing up pretty much says what I said. Yes it was downbeat but we are on a poor run leaking goals and not scoring. Its hardly going to be upbeat now is it?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Just think the stuff about Les "blaming" the fans for the defeat at the weekend is a little sensationalist

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I based that on comments like this:

'When we got the players into the dressing room the first thing we were trying to do was say dont let the crowd get to you. We should have been saying we can get something out of this game from here.'

Perhaps the first thing Les should have been doing is telling the lads we can get something from here, then mention the booing. To me this statement sounds like the players were so dejected at half time because of a few boo's that Les and his coaches spent the whole of half time trying to dry their tears and didnt get a chance to actually talk about changing the game. Despite the fact that Les has yet to do a team talk when we are behind to help change the game.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I based that on comments like this:

'When we got the players into the dressing room the first thing we were trying to do was say dont let the crowd get to you. We should have been saying we can get something out of this game from here.'

Perhaps the first thing Les should have been doing is telling the lads we can get something from here, then mention the booing. To me this statement sounds like the players were so dejected at half time because of a few boo's that Les and his coaches spent the whole of half time trying to dry their tears and didnt get a chance to actually talk about changing the game. Despite the fact that Les has yet to do a team talk when we are behind to help change the game.

I personally don't boo because it clearly doesn't help especially at half time,, but when you see ineptitude like Enoch displayed last Saturday it's going to happen (admittedly that was the second half though). Whatever happened on Saturday it wasn't the crowds fault, our anemic style of play was the reason why we got nothing out of the game.

As for Les, well I sat in the paddock last week for a change and wish Les showed the same passion for it as Karl Robinson did.

Can't see anything but Stevenage winning.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Stevenage are unbeaten in ten games in which they have had eight clean sheets and beaten Charlton and Sheffield United. We've lost five on the bounce and have scored just one goal in the league since October.

All runs must come to an end and this match seems so much like a home banker, I'm almost optimistic. One day we are going to win a match, one day we are going to be awarded a penalty and one day we'll come back from behind to win. Our luck is due to change.

I am hoping to be there, although the game could be called off because of the weather.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
According to Twitter Robbie Weir is doubtful due to illness.](*,)

Player
Liam Palmer
Apparently Stevenage are toiling with loads of injuries too, so it might even itself out.

Any guesses on Davaney? Says he's been fully fit since 1st November but not selected to start. Wonder what's happening...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Weir is absent and there's no sign of Devaney at all.

DIW

Player
Goodison
We were 71% possession at one point this half. No surprise that it's one nil to them then. Heads down no chance of a win or even a point now.

Status
Not open for further replies.