• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stevenage v Rovers

Match result

• Stevenage

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Rovers

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stevenage v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Lamex Stadium
Saturday, February 25, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 25, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, onto the next match this Saturday and possibly more fun and games to come as Rovers travel to the Lamex Stadium to take on high flyers Stevenage. Although Boro are 2nd in the table, their recent form has been patchy. Only one win in their last five however that did come against runaway leaders Orient as they romped to a 3-0 victory.

Rovers form has been awful recently with only one win out of the last five beating Salford 1-0 at Prenton Park.

Both teams will want to put an end to their form but I really can't see Rovers troubling them too much with such a weak forward line.

I'm saying another 2-0 loss.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
With four away defeats in a row, and the hosts impressive home record of 12 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats, this is surely a home banker. But we all know football and as I keep saying if we keep it tight and score first then you never know.

I missed the Stevenage defeat in August as on holiday but remember the display of Jameson was criticised a lot. It’s ironic that after hardly playing this season, he finds himself possibly facing Stevenage again. They’ll no doubt try and take advantage and their rough and tumble style may prove too much for our back 4
Steve Evans - love him or loath him knows what he’s doing at this level.

It’ll be interesting if Micky stills with mumbongo or brings Hemmings back. I’m guessing he will so we have a bit of experience in the side, eapcially if Morris and turnbull remain absent. He may even go with 5 in midfield as it’s possible the midfield 4 from the Mansfield game could get out muscled.

Prediction: can’t see past a home win sadly and more pressure on Micky

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My head says this could be our biggest defeat of the season - our poor form, our depleted squad, a manager under pressure and an away match against a top three side.

My heart has told me we have a decent chance. There is no expectation so less pressure, we may get some players back and Micky's outburst may have a galvanising effect on the team. Stevenage's recent record is as bad as Rovers' and they will be under a lot of pressure. If we can get a good start - and a rare early goal, then the crowd may well turn on the home team and we may pull off a shock.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I personally don't think there is much pressure on this game. We have serious injuries and are expected to lose, and I think Crawley on Tuesday night is a much more important test, as it is a game we would expect to win even with a depleted side. It does not sound from Micky's interview that any of Morris, Turnbull and Hemmings will be available on Saturday.

As Sparky says, Stevenage are very rugged and direct and are exactly the kind of side we would struggle against when experienced players are absent. We could not cope with their aerial bombardment in the opening game of the season, where Jameson in particular had a torrid time. However, Stevenage do have injury problems of their own and are in patchy form.

I think it important that we are at least more competitive and more resilient defensively than in recent matches, but given the absentees I am not sure that is going to be possible.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our record at Stevenage is poor, don’t think we’ve ever won there. My only visit was a 1-1 where we conceded in the 89th minute. Won’t be going Saturday, you’ll all be relieved to hear.

The home game we got battered in the first half and only Doohan kept the scoreline respectable, but picked up in the second. Jameson in the centre of the back three had a challenging time.

I think that Micky had to accept that the tactics and formation didn’t work v Mansfield not even to the limited extent they did at Bradford. From what they’ve shown, Turner-Cooke and Chalmers shouldn’t be starting games like this, maybe coming on as impact subs. My inclination would be a 433 and trying to stifle the midfield and build any attacks through the middle. Though agree it’s mainly going to be a damage limitation exercise.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
My head says defeat.
My heart says defeat.
My logic says defeat.
My gut says defeat.

so if I was going to follow all that, it is with all the information at hand, it is going to be a home win!

so I'm going for an away win. We are due one!

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think a 433 suits us as we don't have a forward capable of playing the lone striker role. However, I would not be surprised if Merrie comes into the side on the left of midfield in a narrow 442.

I think I have seen every game at Stevenage other than the Covid season, and we are yet to win there as Boz says. However, that record has to come to an end some time........

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I don't think a 433 suits us as we don't have a forward capable of playing the lone striker role. However, I would not be surprised if Merrie comes into the side on the left of midfield in a narrow 442.

I think I have seen every game at Stevenage other than the Covid season, and we are yet to win there as Boz says. However, that record has to come to an end some time........
Bringing Merrie back will help sure the midfield up for what is a tough game. If Morris isn't fit I'd stick Merrie on the right before Turner-Cook and Chalmers.
Alternatively if Turball if ready play 3 at the back and a five in midfield using our full backs, with Hendry, O'Connor and Merrie in centre mid. Maybe Burton and Saunders could run their defence ragged for an hour and then bring Hemmings and Hawkes on to nick a goal.
I'm going for a 1-0 away win.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Did you say goal chaps what the fk is one of them we should just play 8-0-1 and try to get a point i got a bad feeling over this and can see a 5-0 coming and then a manager change after

ADD

Player
Norwood
Hope we start with Burton rather than Mumbongo if Hemmings isn't fit still. Merrie I also think was unlucky to be dropped and would like to see him reinstated.
Knowing us at the moment we will probably do really well and win.....
As to whether there is pressure on MM should we lose and especially if we lose badly all I would say is that if there with what would then be 5 defeats in our last 7 games then that shows how badly expectations have slipped.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I will make the home team some happy cookies they will get stoned but will prob still score more than our lot Lol

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hope we start with Burton rather than Mumbongo if Hemmings isn't fit still. Merrie I also think was unlucky to be dropped and would like to see him reinstated.
As to whether there is pressure on MM should we lose and especially if we lose badly all I would say is that if there with what would then be 5 defeats in our last 7 games then that shows how badly expectations have slipped.
Hendry is a better player than Merrie and that's why Merrie has been left out and deservedly so

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tell that to the supporters who think changing the manager will be the miracle cure the club needs.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Our record at Stevenage is poor, don’t think we’ve ever won there. My only visit was a 1-1 where we conceded in the 89th minute. Won’t be going Saturday, you’ll all be relieved to hear.
That doesn't really help @Boz ; you need to be avoiding the away games against the teams around and below us! If you do go to Stevenage and we lose, nobody will blame you... for a change.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I've gone for a draw out of loyalty. I think we deserve a bit of fortune, whether it be via opposition mistakes or a lack of our own. I do feel fear a little for Jameson and hope he can come through this unscathed. He showed great character in the weeks following the August horror-show, though, so I trust he can do the same on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Hendry is a better player than Merrie and that's why Merrie has been left out and deservedly so
I don’t find this as clearcut as some.

Agree with ADD that Merrie was playing reasonably when he was dropped for Hendry. There is an argument that it’s not really comparing like for like, Hendry is the more attacking Merrie harder to pigeon-hole. Overall, Hendry the better player but don’t think he’s been near his best yet.

Player
Manager
John King
I don’t find this as clearcut as some.

Agree with ADD that Merrie was playing reasonably when he was dropped for Hendry. There is an argument that it’s not really comparing like for like, Hendry is the more attacking Merrie harder to pigeon-hole. Overall, Hendry the better player but don’t think he’s been near his best yet.
The reason Hendry is playing is that he and Merrie are not 'like for like'. Hendry is more talented and creative, hence we need to play him as we lack talent and creativity in midfield.

You could play Merrie ahead of O'Connor (I would not) but that is another debate.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I wouldn't swap Marrie for Hendry or O'Connor, but I do feel there is a case for him to play. Our wingers/wide midfield (depending on selection) are not that robust defensively and I'd worry we could get dominated in the middle of the park.
To make it more solid I'd have Merrie in a middle three or even wide right while Morris is missing instead of the youngsters.
0-1 away win.