• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stevenage 2, Tranmere Rovers 1

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We played great attacking football including one spell of about a dozen passes - but only in the last ten minutes when we were already two goals down. If we'd shown the same skill, teamwork and determination for the first eighty minutes, we might have won this match.

We started off OK. We got the ball into their net with our only decent attack, but it was disallowed for offside. For the first half-hour it was a complete stalemate. Our defence was well organised and Stevenage lacked any cutting edge. Then the hosts nearly took the lead but missed three times in ten seconds from close range. The first shot was blocked, the second brought a great save from Ruchubka and the third was fired over from point-blank range. I was beginning to think it was our lucky day, but within a minute they were awarded a dubious corner follwed by a throw-in. When the ball came over, a Stevenage player backed into Ash Taylor, pushing him backwards and making space for Beardsley to score. Our keeper got a hand to it and nearly saved it, but it went in.

Even as the second-half started, I thought we were still in with a chance. All we needed was a decent move and a bit of luck. But Stevenage were growing in confidence and taking control of the game. Then out of the blue, May headbutted our keeper and they were down to ten men. After that, Stevenage upped their game and scored their second from - surprise, surprise - a high ball into the area, which our defence failed to cope with.

Only then did we begin to show what we could do, but it was too late. In stoppage time, we got our first penalty of the season, but time soon ran out.

I won't dwell on any players. I thought Ruchubka played well. He looked confident and was not to blame for either goal. The defence looked well-organised except for the two goals and the near-miss. McChrystal was solid and often supported the attack. He was fouled in the area for the penalty. Ash had good moments, but should have held firm for the first goal. Labadie and Welsh worked hard in midfield. Joss gave 100% throughout and showed the right attitude in taking the penalty. For most of the match, we played the long ball game. As usual, Enoch ploughed a lone furrow. Most balls never reached him and if they did he was isolated. Akins and McGurk struggled to get the ball and I hardly noticed Baxter.

We had a weakened side out, but so did Stevenage. We lost Kay through injury, but Stevenage had to replace two injured players and had a man sent off.

Why did we lose? The players certainly started confidently and no-one had a stinker. The problem was that our long-ball game did not work. Our wide men hardly saw the ball. Baxter was a luxury as the "hole" he was playing in was about a quarter of the pitch! Les will have to rethink how to play away from home. We'd have been better with an extra man working in midfield and a proper wide player. Where were Weir and Devaney? Not even on the bench.

I don't know where we go from here. The players worked hard but got nowhere. The defence was a unit and we looked good in our own half, but once we crossed the half-way line, we were totally clueless until it was too late.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cheers for the report BBTC. Sounds like what Les said in that we had our share of chances etc but it's the same old story.

Not wishing to criticise Les but I am beginning to wonder whether he has what it takes to create a side who can score goals, I.e. From a tactical point of view.

We can talk about luck but I am starting to have major doubts as to whether he can motivate as well as change things tactically. The long balls to Enoch, isolation of Baxter, poor form of Akins and mcgurk has gone on for too long arguably...

Don't want to overreact but it's gone on for a while now and its the time of season when managers heads start to roll...Is he capable of getting the best out of the players we have?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We simply don't have the quality in the final third. Now that we are leaking goals, we are struggling to pick up points because as soon as we go a goal behind, it's game over. For all the possession and wonderful play in the first half that Les was raving about after the game, we still only managed 1 shot on target all game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I missed the first 20 minutes of the game due to nightmare conditions on the roads, but from there on in, I thought it was a poor performance. The one positive, as BBTC states, was that the defence kept it's shape for the majority of the game, and we never really looked like conceding from open play. However, I thought the defending from set plays was awful again, notably for both goals.

When I arrived we were actually knocking the ball around quite well, but Les must have been at a different game if he thought we were great in the first half. From about the half hour mark Stevenage began to get the upper hand, and there was a degree of inevitability about the goal as they began to take control. The same old story I am afraid: begin the game positively, and then concede just before half time and fail to respond.

The second half was woeful in my view. Stevenage were fairly cautious, but we did not manage a shot on goal between my arrival at the ground and the 70th minute, after the sending off. Our midfield was non-existent, with Labadie actually the best of a bad bunch. As has been commented, in the second 45 it was route one all the way until Stevenage went down to ten men. Enoch did pretty well today, but seemed completely cheesed off with being forced to chase aimless punts from Taylor and McChrystal, with zero support from Baxter, who I think should probably be replaced by Robinson next time out.

If Les wants to revert to a more direct approach, and play this style effectively, he could do worse than look at Stevenage. They play with genuine width on both flanks, compress the game high up the pitch, and always get bodies into the box. We do none of these things.

Our best football was played when Stevenage were a man short, as we finally seemed to throw the shackles off and decide it might actually be worth stringing a few passes together and committing men forward. The second goal was harsh and came against the run of play, but we only had ourselves to blame for the sterility of our performance in the first 70 minutes: Stevenage deserved their win.

Tactically, I would also have to question again why Les failed to make a change until the 65th minute, and even then did not switch to 4-4-2 against ten men until ten minutes to go. He simply does not make decisions that have a positive impact when we are behind.

There were a couple of other positives, as Kay dealt pretty well with their Arsenal loanee on the left wing and Danny Holmes, who I have criticised previously, did very well when he came on and should arguably be ahead of Kay in the pecking order. However, on the performance as a whole, I still can't see where our next win is coming from. Rochdale and Bury are massive games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Spot on, RLC. You've summed the game up well. Your penultimate paragraph says it all. We only had width when Robbo came on and played on the left wing.

I've a lot of time for Les and I'm an incurable optimist, but if he thinks we bossed the first half, he was at a different game.

The SWA were very vocal today and got behind their team. There were no boos or criticism of any players. One or two loudmouths were slagging off Les, but they were a small minority.

I find it very difficult to take any positives from today. What hasn't been mentioned is that not only was Kay injured but Ash took a knock late on and needed treatment off the pitch. I'm sure he would have stayed off if we hadn't used all our subs. We now look to have serious injury problems and I would expect/hope that Les is looking at one or two loanees.

On a lighter note, when the teams lined up I thought Max Power was playing at left back. In fact, for some reason David Buchanan was playing in Max's shirt! He only got his own shirt back at half time.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I did a double take myself when I saw Buchanan !

The real positive of the day for me was experiencing Broadhall Way first hand. It is certainly basic, but had a great atmosphere, with two sides still standing. For clubs with small support like ourselves, I can't help but feel that playing in a packed, compact ground gives the home team a psychological advantage, as opposed to playing in a three quarters empty Prenton Park.

It is no wonder their home form is so good.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The real positive of the day for me was experiencing Broadhall Way first hand. It is certainly basic, but had a great atmosphere, with two sides still standing. For clubs with small support like ourselves, I can't help but feel that playing in a packed, compact ground gives the home team a psychological advantage, as opposed to playing in a three quarters empty Prenton Park.

It is no wonder their home form is so good.
Yes, that's the one thing I did enjoy today. A great atmosphere from a crowd of just over 3,000. No trouble, no bad language. Polite, friendly stewards. The ground is easy to get to by road and has plenty of free parking nearby. It was my first visit to what's now my nearest league club and I look forward to going again.

It's frightening to think that Stevenage were only formed 35 years ago. They have achieved so much in that time. They were a top non-league club for years before getting into League 2.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Wasn't at the game but the agree with the comments.

Simply put, if your strikers are not that great to start with and out of form and there is no creativity in the side, you're getting nothing. I'd ditch the 4-5-1 as well because its quite obvious it isn't working. If we must spend the game launching it you might as well have 2 up there.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Enoch did pretty well today, but seemed completely cheesed off with being forced to chase aimless punts from Taylor and McChrystal, with zero support from Baxter, who I think should probably be replaced by Robinson next time out.

If we're going to play so direct then the deployment of either Baxter or Robbo as a tresquartista feels a bit pointless. A reversion to the much maligned midfield trio of Welsh, Weir and Labadie would at least make us more competitive without the ball. It is, however, a total reversion to the system we played last season, and I wouldn't like to see us go back to that. We have already proved we are better than that this year. DIW repeatedly suggests a move to move to 4-4-2 which might work with McGurk up top if Devaney ever returns, although it would probably resign both Robbo and Baxter to the bench.

To be honest the old system worked, we've all seen it work. Les has overseen fairly drastic changes to our style of play when the real problem lay in his team selection/general confidence, which remain naive and unimproved, respectively.

Our poor performances in the cup (which we didn't seem to take seriously) seem to have triggered this run of form which is frustrating.

If Les wants to revert to a more direct approach, and play this style effectively, he could do worse than look at Stevenage. They play with genuine width on both flanks, compress the game high up the pitch, and always get bodies into the box. We do none of these things.

What do you mean by genuine width? Would you not say that Akins and McGurk play as genuine wingers when we're in possession?

Player
Manager
John King
I was really just emphasising the way in which wingers are used by most successful so-called 'long ball' teams. Unlike Stevenage's wide men, I would not describe either Akins or McGurk as out and out wingers who bomb to the by-line and whip crosses in; in our set-up they play a slightly different game. I am not suggesting we should switch to 4-4-2 and play this way, I was just pointing out that Stevenage get quality deliveries to their strikers in dangerous areas with their system, whereas the way we are currently playing the 4-5-1, Enoch is left chasing hopeless causes.

As regards your general points regarding our recent slump, I agree with most of what you say. We seemed to go into the Chesterfield cup game, and even the Scunthorpe game, in an over-confident manner and conceded a bagful of goals, and the confidence and discipline in the side has never recovered. It is curious, because in the early part of this barren spell there was no real change in tactics.

Yesterday I think Les got it right in replacing Robinson with McGurk, which together with the presence of Labadie did shore us up a bit defensively. However, I too am concerned that rather than try and achieve the balance between passing football and solidity and workrate which we had earlier this season, Les is now reverting to the ugly football of 2010-11. At present, this is having no effect in stemming the run of defeats, and could serve to alienate a lot of the fans who were beginning to come round to his approach.

If we are to persist with the player 'in the hole', given our current form I think Robinson should be used rather than Baxter because of his superior workrate. Baxter has just gone missing in a number of recent matches, which has compounded our generally poor midfield play.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Pretty sure you've said it before, unless I'm mixing you up with someone else. I guess I must be.

Constant criticism of the lone striker approach can only mean one thing though, and I think I'm right in saying that you subscribe to that view, unless I'm getting your posts mixed up with those made by someone else.

Yesterday I think Les got it right in replacing Robinson with McGurk, which together with the presence of Labadie did shore us up a bit defensively.

Yeah, agree, and it was something I was calling for in the first place, when we were faced with the conundrum of having McGurk, Robinson and Baxter fit. Didn't want all this long ball **** though.

Robbo offers a bit more workrate and is handy to have on for set pieces, but Baxter is the only half-decent finisher in a squad which is seriously lacking goals. Neither are playing very well at the moment but the closer we revert to the system we played last year, the less effective they will be in general.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we've only got Baxter until the end of the year? Once he's gone, it's unlikely we'll have much money to get anyone else on loan, especially as Les had to find funds to bring in Rachubka with OFWs injury. For that reason, it may make more sense to utilise players like Robinson, who will be around for the duration.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Pretty sure you've said it before, unless I'm mixing you up with someone else. I guess I must be.

Constant criticism of the lone striker approach can only mean one thing though, and I think I'm right in saying that you subscribe to that view, unless I'm getting your posts mixed up with those made by someone else.

Yes - you have mixed me up with with someone else. Personally I don't have a problem with the lone striker approach, it can be effective. At the moment though. I'd be tempted to change it as our lone striker is so desperately out of form, and our midfield isn't creating anything. When you play the lone striker you need to get down the outside and play down the wings to give the central midfield a chance to get up in support and we are not doing this.

A good case in point for this might be the Preston away game where although we lost Akins had a great game on the wing and cause them problems all afternoon. McGurk also looked useful and side had a nice balance to it. At the moment we seem to be pumping it from the back 4 straight to the lone striker who is chronically short on confidence and form. That's simply not going to work.

Player
Liam Palmer
I'm sure there will be some small changes to the squad in January. Baxter goes after 3rd Janueary, but we'll need Rechubka for another month, at least. Les usually keeps a few quid back for January.

Big puzzle is Davaney: he's fit, but not even in the squad, which is strange as Les was saying we're toiling for numbers. Way back in August when we were playing well he was at the centre of things. Wonder what he's done to p!ss the manager off? Maybe he'll be moved on in January? it's all a Christmas mystery....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think with Devaney Les either sees him as a luxury player that we cannot afford to play coz he wants to be ultra defensive at the moment (although reports from Stevenage sound like we looked threatening at times).

Or - he is still not fit enough to play. I suspect the latter.

I suspect Les might be happy for Baxter to go back - only in a sense that he hasnt done much recently and it gives him less to think about, i.e. only Robbo can play in the hole. Plus it might free up some wages to sign a decent striker.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Big puzzle is Davaney: he's fit, but not even in the squad, which is strange as Les was saying we're toiling for numbers. Way back in August when we were playing well he was at the centre of things. Wonder what he's done to p!ss the manager off? Maybe he'll be moved on in January? it's all a Christmas mystery....
I think with Devaney Les either sees him as a luxury player that we cannot afford to play coz he wants to be ultra defensive at the moment (although reports from Stevenage sound like we looked threatening at times).

Or - he is still not fit enough to play. I suspect the latter.
I've just checked the OS where there is an injury update. Several players are being treated but no mention of Devaney. I fear he has become the new Alan Mahon. That's a real shame as he could have made a difference on Saturday, particularly when they were down to 10 men.

As I suspected, Michael Kay's injury is serious. I had broken ribs this year and was out for three months. OK, I'm older, but I don't expect to see him back until February. Fortunately, Holmes played well on Saturday and deserves his chance. And Raven is on the mend.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not convinced about Holmes but lets give him a chance and see how he does.

As for Devaney - I suppose there are similarities between him and Mahon.

Both arguably flair/attacking players in their heyday - with a decent career behind them. We sign them in their early/mid 30s when injuries start becoming more and more frequent (certainly in Mahons case anyway). Same with Robbo aswell although he has been playing more often of late.

Lets hope Devaney is still around as he is more of a proper winger I would say than McGurk/Lucas who at the moment are acting as square pegs in round holes (Despite doing well earlier in the season).

On another subject...nice to hear that the Chief has got a coaching job at FA after leaving Bradford. Good Luck Wayne !

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Devaney was just 31 when he signed, bit different imo

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Devaney was just 31 when he signed, bit different imo

HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Alan Mahon was only 30 when he signed for us the second time. He's still only 33. Their ages and injury records aren't too different.

However, I don't know the relative circumstances of the two players. It was Les who signed Devaney and he's not injured now (according to the latest injury update on the OS). I just hope we don't end up wasting a year's wages on Devaney for no return.

HAPPY BOXING DAY - AND THE REST OF THE 2011/12 SEASON.