• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stanley 0 Rovers 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Well, it was no classic, but at least we are through.

I thought we played in fits and starts tonight, and having got the first goal, basically decided to shut up shop with 50 minutes to go, which did not make for a great spectacle.

Accrington were much more competitive than in the first game, and played a big Fellani lookalike up front who enabled them to retain the ball better than they did last week. This, combined with several below par performances from Rovers players, meant there was not much fluency to the game. However, on the occasions in the first half when we got our passing going, we caused them problems, notably when Tiryaki was set up by Akins six yards out only for a defender to get in a last ditch block: if he is going to stake a claim for the first team, he has to bury these chances.

Accrington could argue they deserved to take the tie to penalties, as they had several decent chances, the best of which was a melee ten minutes from the end whch saw several desperate blocks going in, and our crossbar being struck.

However, I thought we generally defended well, although Kay had a very ropey game at right back, giving the ball away in bad areas on a couple of occasions, and looking generally low on confidence. Welsh and Akins also had very below par games in my opinion.

The final word must go to Ash Taylor, who I thought was our man of the match by a mile. After the Carlisle game I was starting to doubt whether he had a long term future at the club, but what a turnaround there has been in his form in recent matches.

drwhoman

ASH TAYLOR

Interesting observation by RLC. Amazing what being made captain can do for a relatively young local player. They take ownership and seek to lead I suppose. Gerrard at Liverpool was an earlier example.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I assume Ash kept the captaincy then even though Welsh returned to the side ?

Like RLC says, most important thing is that we're through plus its another clean sheet. Shame that once again a striker hasnt scored but we'll worry about that on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd assumed the captaincy had reverted to Welsh. Ash has always been vocal on the field, Welsh is more captain by example. Personally I prefer the Ash Taylor style.

Thanks to RLC for the match report, shame we weren't able to repeat the quality of last week's showing and Mustafa didn't notch a goal to make up for the one chalked off in the abandoned match. McGurk seemed to have a few good chances too. See Joss picked up another daft booking ruling him out of the Oldham game, bad timing by him.

Still the result's the main thing.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Agree with RLC it really was no classic and we seemed to get sucked into playing the same sort of game Accy were playing and in the second half especially seemed to forget how to pass the ball on the floor. They really should have equalised with the ball striking a defender on the line then Fon Williams then the post then the bar. It was a strange old night tbh really enjoyed the hospitality of the Accy staff and stewards, there supporters tried there hardest to create an atmosphere, while the SWA stood in muted silence for the entire 90 mins.
There was even a drum in the away end that was just left on the floor. As I say strange night glad we went through but play like that at Chesterfield and we will struggle. A worry for me is the way in which we get the ball in some very good areas but often the final ball is simply not good enough. That happened on a number of occasions last night.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The fact that our top scorer is a centre half says it all about the quality of our final ball when attacking and our overall lack of goal threat.

Plus Labadie who does offer goals will miss Saturday now after another booking (am amazed he has had 5 as he has been in and out of the tam this season !)

But if we keep winning 1-0 that will do nicely.

Player
Goodison
Labadie should be fined 2 weeks wages every time he is booked until he learns to stop being such an idiot.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The irony is, Labadie might well have been chosen ahead of Weir on Saturday on recent performances. As it is, he will probably struggle to get back into the side for some weeks now. He is his own worst enemy really.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I think he's probably well aware of that fact, but doesn't particularly care.