• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Southport 1 Rovers 3

Player
Liam Palmer
Half-time was 1-1, final score 3-1 to us. Mahon scored for us in the first half, dunno who scored in the second. Result posted on SFC website.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Anyone know anything about the right-back, Pursehouse? And has Ian Moore changed his surname?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I went today. Thought we passed the ball around strikingly well at times, very patient build up though without creating tonnes of chances.

Daniels looked fine in goal without having much to do - it's reassuring to see someone 6ft+ between the sticks again anyway. Creswell looked very good left back, especially going forward. Taylor did some good work playing center-half alongside a certain doddery Nigerian 5'10" trialist, whose fault it was for their goal, largely. Pursehouse was pretty pathetic at right back, shirked out of loads of challenges and seemed scared to get the ball.

Mclaren, Welsh and Allot all played very well in center mid, kept the ball quite astutely. Mahon looked impressive on the left - scored a cracket - and was replaced in the second half by an equally impressive Fraughan. Barnett started on the right hand side but didn't really affect the game and was eventually brought off for the equally ineffective Shuker.

Both Moore and Curran were fairly quiet up top, the latter particulaly unimpressive and second to every ball and looking to have lost a bit of pace as Boz has mentioned plenty of times before. Still only 19 though... =]

Barnes "philosophy" has already started to take some shape, it was clear we were trying to keep the ball on the deck and both fullbacks were bombing right up at every oppertunity. Just gotta sort out the back-line with a bit of Martin Kelly and Ryan Shotton...we'll be sorted then...

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
Good review of the game! Was the 5'10 nigerian the guy from Tottenham? He was rubbish against Preston too!

I agree, a few more signings and it'll be alright! I'd suggest that everyone goes to at least one friendly to see what Barnes is trying to put together and make their own minds up! :smile:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Mahon is going to be a very important player for us as a playmaker. I just hope he keeps himself fit..

Good report SonkORLY?..
My first game will hopefully be on Fri.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With regard to Curran, he played well in the Scunthorpe game, which seems light years away now. The question is has he lost his pace for good, if so can he adapt his game? I hope so

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd be worried if Curran was in his late-30's and was struggling for pace. If he's lost a bit of pace, he's still young, I'm sure a few games under his belt, he'll be fine.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Curran is, and will be a great little player for us, I have no doubt. The boy will play at a higher level barring serious injury. Don't judge him on pre-season games where players are basically building up fitness and levels of understanding between each other. Judge him from August 8. Given a run in the side, I'm confident he can bag us a few goals.

...he goes by the name of Craig Curran! \\:D/