• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Scunthorpe 1 Rovers 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Gutted. I thought the 2nd yellow for Edds was harsh, but the ref gave us little all game. Well done the travelling fans & most of the team did us proud. May post more when I've got over it!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Just cruel ending to the season.

Equal parts disappointed and proud. I think the table, as usual ends up being a fair reflection of things. Out of the 24 teams, we were the 7th best.

Jennings looks shattered in the photo on the bbc website

Player
Johnny Morrissey
At the moment I feel so so disappointed. We were so so close.

But I also feel so so proud to be a Tranmere fan. The fans were superb from start to finish. It was like a home game and the best atmosphere I've ever experienced inside a football stadium. Thank you to all the Rovers fans for creating that atmosphere, we deserved the win but it just wasn't to be.

Thought we bossed the first half on the whole. Danny had nothing to do first half and we had all the chances, 3 good ones (including the goal) and that fabulous save from the Jenno volley. Second half we defended far too deep but the defence looked magnificent, until their concentration went with the red card.

Can't fault anyone today for their work rate and their effort. Jenno was magnificent and ran his socks off as usual and yes looks absolutely shattered and heartbroken in that pic. Feel especially sad for him. But thanks to all the players who came out to the fans to applaud and thank them. Shotton looked really disappointed but a Rovers fan gave him a scarf, and if we don't see him again in a Tranmere shirt, hopefully he has happy memories and a momento on his time with us.

We can all argue why we didn't quite make it. Silly dropped points in games we should have won/drawn. Poor away form. Goodison being sent off against Hereford. We would have at least won today with him there I'm positive. But overall, we've had a decent season, the players have given their all and hopefully we'll all come back better and stronger next season and take that one step further.

Tranmere Rovers, loud and proud. Today showed me just why I love our club so much. Super White Army! Will post my match report on the home page in the morning.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sadly, it was typical tranmere like roverstillidie says. The atmosphere in the away end was fantastic and the SWA are the best supporters around! Shame the team just couldnt hang on, we were so close.

On reflection, we've had a good season. Like NBDH says, 7th best team, sounds about right.

We were great first half but got it so so wrong in the second. We sat back for too much and couldnt string two passes together. I think 99% of the SWA knew what was coming. Seen it all before..

Never-the-less, it was an exciting and nail biting end of the season and let's hope we can improve next season.

Special mentions for Chorley who was superb at the back today, Jennings in midfield, felt sorry for him at the end and Curran who despite being sandwiched for most of the game, never gave up and his work rate was superb.

I also hope we never see Sonko in a white shirt again. He's a terrible footballer..

Roll on next season. SWA SWA!!! =D>

I thought some of the Scunthorpe supporters were top notch today. Had a good chat with a few of them before and after the game and they wished us good luck for next season. Quite refreshing..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I thought some of the Scunthorpe supporters were top notch today.

I thought the vast majority were useless. Scunthorpe is a very odd club indeed, none of their fans seemed particalaly bothered about the fact that they'd just secured their place in the playoffs, bar a few dozen 12 year olds in Chelsea shirts who had got in for free and subsequently invaded the pitch at the end of the game. A more immediate concern seemed to be how quickly they could get out of the car park.

First half we were superb, second half pressure was inevitable, but we dealt with it superbly until Eddsy was sent off (unfairly IMO). Absolutely gutted for the players as they put everything into that performence. Now we'll have to wait over the summer to see who stays and who goes...

Credit to Shotton, Chorley and Jenno in particular. I saw Curran after the game and he looked gutted. Also saw Gareth Roberts, and he was quite open to fans about a potential return next season. We'll see...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Agree with all that was said above. Some of them in the pub before the game wished us luck and we them. It was a friendly atmosphere. But inside the ground, they were dead until they scored. The atmosphere was all created in the away end. Then those 12 year olds in Chelsea and Arsenal shirts invading the pitch to try and goad us, we rose above it and applauded them and their team and of course the Rovers players who returned to a great ovation.

Agreed that Shotts, Curran, Jenno and OUR Ben Chorley were outstanding. Shotton played his heart out and looked gutted to be leaving the club on such a disappointment. Curran ran himself into the ground despite a lack of service in the second half but didnt give their defenders any time on the ball. Jenno was his usual bustling self and would run through brick walls for the club. And Ben Chorley won everything in the air and I really thought his determination would keep us in the lead, but it wasn't to be.

Really hope we can keep the basis of the squad together. Not entirely sure of who is out of contract but we deffo need to keep as many as we can. But I wouldn't mind if we lost Edds and Sonko. We'll see...

Player
Goodison
In the first half I thought we were excellent and went about the game in the right way i.e. not sitting back. Curran's goal was excellent, however I think Jennings shot was the turning point. If that had gone in I think we would have been playing Franchise next week.

The second half was disappointing and frustrating. The defence was 20 yards further back and despite the excellent performances of Shotton, Chorley and Jennings we were not going to keep them out sitting so deep.

I don't understand why Ronnie didn't take Sonko off and put Moore on the wing with Gornell up front so we had someone to hold the ball up. After the first 15 minutes of the second half it was clear that Scunny were not going to back off, perhaps Curran and Sonko should have been taken off in place of Ash Taylor and Gornell and we could have strung 5 across the middle with Gornell up front.

The second challenge Edds made was a booking unfortuantely, I was sat in the home end and it was right in front of me, he took the guys leg before he got the ball. He didn't need to make the challenge as the winger was backing off. Then, rather predictably, we conceded straight from the free kick ](*,)

With regard to the atmosphere, the home end was a bag of nerves. They were obviously hoping for a draw and this was reflected in Scunny's first half performance. I don't think I've ever seen so many nervous and subsequently relieved fans. I could see the away end was noisy\\:D/ although the noise doesn't seem to travel very well around Glanford Park.

Our failure to get into the play offs is down to the fact we don't have a striker who will get 20+ goals a season, every team in the top 6 has one or a group of players on 12+ goals. Unless we sign a striker to get a load of goals were going to be in league 1 for a few more seasons yet.

Man of the Match: Chorley

9th time lucky? [-o<[-o<[-o<

Player
Liam Palmer
Forget the iffy refereeing decision two minutes from time which cost Rovers a place in the League 1 play-offs and sit back and revel in the enjoyment of the Super White Army as they greet their heroes on to the pitch at Glanford Park.

http://www.qik.com/video/1593752

And remember, there's always next season....

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Really hope we can keep the basis of the squad together. Not entirely sure of who is out of contract but we deffo need to keep as many as we can. But I wouldn't mind if we lost Edds and Sonko. We'll see...

OK, erm, main players who are out of contract are Jenno, Kay and Chorley. Barnett, Moore and Coyne are also out of contract, but should definetly sign. The former trio may be more difficult to secure, I'd be impressed if we kept even one of them. Add to that the fact that Shotton will be leaving the club (although apparently he might be coming back next year) and a big part of our squad is gone. Both our central midfielders potentially leaving! How bad is that. Apparently Tony Kay is as good as gone to 'Uddersfield, so let's hope we can keep hold of Jenno.

Sonko is out of contract but Edds isn't. Hopefully we'll see a big improvement on Shuker next year, and maybe some playing time for Gornell, Curran and Cresswell. We have better young lads coming through for next year which will be helpful as I imagine our wage budget will be trimmed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It would be good to see more of Curran, Gornell and Cresswell next season, but we also need some new faces in. I'm sure Ronnie will bring in 3 or 4 new faces for next season and get rid of some of the old wood. Sonko can go, Barnett im not sure about.. Keep Moore and Coyne. Jenno, Kay and Chorley I hope will stay.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The game

Rovers were on top first half after a shaky start, well worth the half-time lead. But why oh why did we defend so deep in the second half?](*,)
Scunthorpe missed a boat-load of chances and for that reason I really did believe it was going to be our day. RTID had a better view of the sending-off than I, but it did seem like a split second mistiming by Edds and still harsh to send him off. For a Premiership ref Mr Tanner disappointed, there were a lot of manhandling of Rovers players that he turned a blind eye to.
Agree 100% with Ian about Sonko. I've defended him in the past, but he was total dross on Saturday and amazed that he lasted the 90. When he got the ball he never ran with it passing back into the congested middle instead Why didn't Ronnie pull him off and put Moore on the wing with Gornell and Curran up front instead? Even little boy lost Robbie Burns could have made more impression.

The fans

There are enough kids at PP wearing Liverpool and Everton shirts amongst others not to get me too worried about Scunthorpe's kids. Thought their fans were ok. The Scunthorpe police were fine, but a bit surprised that when I changed trains at Doncaster there were about 50 police and 4 dogs on the station. Bit of overkill here. Overall I was really proud to be a Tranmere supporter on the day.

Other stuff

It's easy to indulge the 'what if' philosophy. Goodison hasn't been that great recently, so I'm not certain he'd have made a difference if he played. If Greenacre/Curran hadn't been unfit for long stretches, we might have had a better goalscoring tally. If Jennings had played in the first few months of the season as well as thereafter we might of picked up a few more points. Who knows:?::?::?:

Player
Liam Palmer
I love the game of what ifs.... however it's too late now.

I think we missed Bas on Saturday, especially in that second half. And the news on Bas is that he had an operation on a snapped achilles tendon two weeks ago and will be out until October. The club tried to hush it up to keep Scunny guessing, hence the "late fitness test" stuff.

Oh yes, and I agree about Sonko - absolutely stinkin' on Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm glad most of us all seem to agree on Sonko, but its no revelation. He's been this bad for months!! Even worse news about Bas, I just hope he makes a speedy recovery during the pre-season. We miss his contribution and silky moonwalking skills..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Give credit to Ronnie

Thinking about it a few days after, I've got to give Ronnie some credit for this season. We had quite a small squad, relying on loanees, and had a lot of key injuries for long periods. I was convinced our season was over by Christmas after we lost in all the cups and seemed to be going nowhere in the league. How he motivated the players to keep going until the bitter end was amazing.

What has cost us in three competitions IMO is our inability to hold a lead when it really mattered. Peterborough equalised in stoppage time before knocking us out of the FA Cup. We lost in the JPT to a late goal (Scunthorpe again), so Saturday was no fluke.

I hope we can keep most of the squad together, bring on some youngsters and sign one or two good frees. But next year will be more difficult with three more "big" clubs dropping into League One, although we should get some decent gates!

Player
Liam Palmer
We lost our chance of promotion not on Saturday but at those ridiculous away games where we managed only 1 win against the bottom 10 - and that was against Carlisle when they were top six. Just think about the crazy goals we gave away on our travels - 2 at Crewe, 1 at Southend - there's 4 points and a play-off place.

Having said all that, I agree Ronnie has worked a bit of a miracle and at least gave us a good day out to finish with.