• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Scunny v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We go to Scunthorpe looking to end October unbeaten. (When was the last time that happened?) Although Scunny are lower in the league than Hartlepool and have not won for four weeks, they have drawn their last three games against Brentford, MK Dons and Huddersfield. Although their defence shipped a few goals earlier in the season, they have looked more difficult to break down of late.

Although I don't feel our league position is false, it will be difficult to remain in the top six. We will probably need a win just to stay sixth. I just hope we don't suffer an adverse reaction from Tuesday and I'd settle for a draw. Another win would be incredible.

I can't see Les tinkering with the team. He won't want to risk Enoch, although I can see Robbo coming on a sub again at some stage.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
bet we don,t score a goal now for the next three matches..

2 points out of nine is my forward guesstimate

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's tempting to indulge in some "what if" thinking back to our last trip to Glanford Park. If we'd defended further up the park, if Ronnie had been more astute with his subs, if Edds hadn't picked up a needless second yellow, then we might have held onto the lead, done a Scunny and made our way into the Championship, with the idea of Barnes and McAteer in charge nothing more than a really bad nightmare.

Our opponents didn't make the most of their two years in the sun, although the departure of their manager Nigel Adkins undoubtedly a factor and they've had a patchy start to the return to L1. However they scored two good goals and missed two penalties against Huddersfield on Tuesday night in a game they should have won. It looks like things may be starting to fall into place for them.

Expect Rovers to be unchanged, though Enoch is still in contention. Like BBTC, I'd settle for a draw. Amplesou, thought I was pessimistc, but you take the biscuit!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
bet we don,t score a goal now for the next three matches..

2 points out of nine is my forward guesstimate

Given that we've gone October unbeaten and you haven't actually been to any of those games, I shall take this prediction with a pinch of salt.

I'd settle for a point, but want three. We are good away from home, we can do this.

Still can't bring myself to go back to that ****ing stadium after last time, though. Even thinking about that poncey little brigade of teenagers who ran onto the pitch in their MUFC shirts at full-time makes me want to break things. Interestingly, of the 16 in the matchday squad that day, only Ash Taylor remains a TRFC player. It was also Eddy Sonko's last game, who was widely regarded as the greatest midfielder in TRFC history. Trivia.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
1-0 to Rovers, with a Welsh goal! (My beleif is in that we seem to be winning at traditionally horrible grounds for us, this season!)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd settle for a point, but want three. We are good away from home, we can do this.
Agreed. We are getting the results now and our performances away from home have been impressive. Come on Rovers.

It was also Eddy Sonko's last game, who was widely regarded as the greatest midfielder in TRFC history. Trivia.
He was very good, I'll grant you that. :^o

Great to see Robbo back in the squad too.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Pat Nevin was once quoted as saying that Eddy Sonko inspired him to become a midfielder, and credits his career and successes entirely to the inspirational fourteen-time Gambia international.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A victory on Saturday would guarantee Les the manager of the month award, and might just mean we get more than 12 seconds on the Football League Show: interesting that they raved about Hartlepool being the 'surprise package' of the division for the first two months of the season, and barely mentioned Rovers. Perhaps they backed the wrong horse ?

I too will treat Amplesou's prediction with a degree of scepticism. Just at the moment we are winning every game we are 'expected to win', so maybe that will continue on Saturday ? Whatever the outcome, we have had a terrific month.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Would be surprised if it's not a tight game with our defensive record. Natural pessimism and law of averages seem to suggest time for a Rovers defeat; however, logic says we are the team with the confidence coming into the game on theback of a good run. Even after a difficult first half that confidence didn't wilt but grew in the second half on Tuesday night. Why not another victory and an unbeaten October? ... followed by a disastrous November after Les receives manager of the month. Oh bugger ... there's that pessimism again ...

DIW

Player
Goodison
I remember Eddy Sonko, pacey, strong in the ball, eye for goal, creative, the complete midfielder.

I'm going with a 1-1 draw. Confidence is high and we just don't look like losing. If we were scoring freely I'd have us down for a win.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I remember Eddy Sonko, pacey, strong in the ball, eye for goal, creative, the complete midfielder.

Wingers there like something from the last century ,come to think of it...!

ended up in Dubai..,

So not all bad for him.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Being a Tranmere fan it's hard not to feel the specter of pessimism peering over your shoulder at a time like this. Winning games, playing well and all we can think is when is it all going to come crashing down!!! :smile:

Well I'm thinking we can at least get a draw out of this lot. 9 draws in 15 games suggest they may be hard to break down but they aren't great at beating teams down. With our defensive record this season you have to fancy us to get something.

With Robinson on the way back things are looking good, we just need someone to bag us 20 odd goals this season and we'd be all set!!

My prediction.... 1-0 Tranmere win, McGurk to score.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Given that we've gone October unbeaten and you haven't actually been to any of those games, I shall take this prediction with a pinch of salt.

Still can't bring myself to go back to that ****ing stadium after last time, though. Even thinking about that poncey little brigade of teenagers who ran onto the pitch in their MUFC shirts at full-time makes me want to break things. Interestingly, of the 16 in the matchday squad that day, only Ash Taylor remains a TRFC player. It was also Eddy Sonko's last game, who was widely regarded as the greatest midfielder in TRFC history. Trivia.

How do you know i have,nt been to any of those games ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While Sonko did have some decent games in a white shirt, his final appearance for Rovers at Glanford Park was very poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.