• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Saints 2 Rovers 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Given the absence of Goodison and Labadie this almost seems like a good result, as the game seemed to be an exercise in damage limitation almost from the first whistle. That said, conceding just before half time was probably the killer blow, as we were never going to be able to chase the game and keep Southampton out in the second half.

The result itself doesn't surprise or bother me, as I think we would have struggled to get a point even at full strength, but I think we are reaching a crucial stage in the season now. Games against the likes of Brentford and Walsall are games we must pick up points in and even with the current crop of injuries, I think the time for excuses is over. If we don't pick up four points from these matches we could find ourselves cast adrift as last season, and running out of 'easy' matches on the horizon to comfort ourselves with.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I would agree with all of that but shouldn't this be in the post match section.

Player
Manager
John King
Sorry, posted in the wrong section by mistake.

My humblest apologies.[-X

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
yesterdays result was neither good or unexpected.

les obviously wasn't happy 'cause he's got them in training today

DIW

Player
Goodison
Losing away to Southampton is no disgrace but from what I can hear we barely got out of our own half.
At some point we need to string two wins together. The next two games is the chance.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah I dont think losing was a surprise - its sounds like it was the manner of the performance that was the problem. Given that we beat Bristol and played well against Brighton, Les was expecting a higher level of performance albeit against a better side.

Will be interesting to hear of any reports but a mate of mine went and said it was embarassingly one sided at times with us never getting out of our own half and it being like a training match for them. It could and should have been a lot of more and although we can use Goodi being absest as an excuse in part, it doesnt sound the any of the team did well apart from Gulasci.

As Les said:
“I don’t blame the kids. They gave everything but what disappointed me was the contribution of the senior players.
“We looked to them for inspiration and guidance in adversity and we did not get it.

Hopefully after the win at Bristol, we're not back to these joke performances away from home like Yeovil, etc.

Forget about it and look forward to a must win 6 pointer against the Bees next Sat.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Talking about 6 pointers already! That's not a good sign.

Damage limitation; it's a fair point, but I think it's the complete lack of any creativity that worries me. 1 shot on target all game. OK, I didn't expect us to win, but give us more than that!

Player
Manager
John King
As Les said:
“I don’t blame the kids. They gave everything but what disappointed me was the contribution of the senior players.
“We looked to them for inspiration and guidance in adversity and we did not get it."

Without looking for scapegoats, I read an interesting statistic today that the last time we won a game with McLaren in the midfield for 90 minutes was February. Maybe he was the player Les had foremost in his mind ?

I just think his lack of passion in the middle is always going to cost with the style and system we play, particularly against the bigger sides.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Welsh, Mclaren and Enoch were the only senior ones we had out really. Enoch sounded utterly starved of service which leaves 2...may as well just name them, Les.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Personally i just dont think McClaren is up to it anymore. He has had a long career and some success under Ronnie at Rotherham and us the season before last.

Whilst he (sometimes) puts a decent ball into the box, he doesnt offer much more and by todays standards, doesnt have the legs to function well in a midfield.

Now we have the likes of Cressa who can put decent delivery in, I can only see McClaren as a back up player who will be released whenever his contract ends.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Personally i just dont think McClaren is up to it anymore. He has had a long career and some success under Ronnie at Rotherham and us the season before last.

Whilst he (sometimes) puts a decent ball into the box, he doesnt offer much more and by todays standards, doesnt have the legs to function well in a midfield.

Now we have the likes of Cressa who can put decent delivery in, I can only see McClaren as a back up player who will be released whenever his contract ends.

He was always **** for us

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
McLaren had a good 2nd season before he went to Bradford - most assists in the division and player's player of the year. Since then he's been dire.

Stand by my initial statement. Jenno made him look ok. Made Kay look better than he was too.

DIW

Player
Goodison
God help us if Mclaren is going to get a regular game until the end of the season. A less effective footballer have I seen.