• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Spireites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tough opener against the L2 champions, who'll still be on a roll from last season. Rovers haven't won their opener for 5 years. Les is promising more attacking football yet sticking with the 4-3-3 formation. Big doubt as to whether Enoch will be fit for the opener and unless he's approaching 100%, I'd prefer to leave him to recover and avoid the risk of crocking him.

Assuming he's unfit, expecting us to line up something like;

Fon Williams
Kay Goodison McChrystal Bakayogo
Weir Welsh Robinson
Devaney Akins McGurk

Subs Coughlin, Raven Buchanan Labadie Striker. Now it's reverted to five on the bench my inclination would be not to have a spare keeper on the bench for home games, but Les may be more cautious.

Prediction. It's difficult to see us scoring many with this sort of line-up, but think we can get a draw. A decent away following will push the attendance close to 6k.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A Spireite I play golf with is downbeat about his team's prospects this season. He says he'd be happy just to see them stay up. With their new ground and recent form, they'll be a tough test but are not unbeatable.

But I think we have a good, settled squad and recent games against Liverpool, Man U and Shrewsbury showed we are a match for most teams at our level. I think we could win, maybe even 2-0.

I agree with Boz's predicted selection, except I would expect Danny Holmes to be a sub and I would hope to see Muzzie on the bench. I'd like to see the Turk used as an impact player until he's match fit for League One.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We have to be looking to win this one. Personally I would be disappointed with a point.

1st game of the season - at home - okay against the champions of league 2 but even so, the spirit in the camp appears to be good after some good results albeit friendlies.

I want Les to go for it - lets start the season with 3 points, a good attacking performance - and go from there.

If Enoch doesnt play it will be interesting who goes up top if we go 4-3-3. McGurk did well at the end of last season playing their so he would make sense.

Devaney isnt fit yet so if he doesnt play, he might surprise us and play Zoom on the left side as he did last season with Buchanan starting further back.

Please not Akins....though Les does love him

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whatever the formation, squad and result and just happy the season's starting again. It's been a long few months.

How many times have we heard Les saying we'll be seeing more attacking football. Same football but with a few different faces.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what first XI he picks, but there will be a starting place for Akins guaranteed.

I'm praying Showunmi is fit, otherwise the front line is going to be quite weak.
Not sure what to expect from Chesterfield. They've got some good players in attack I think. Lester, Davies, Smalley & Whitaker.

Might test us a little bit. If we underestimate them, we're in trouble.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Craig Davies left Chesterfield at the end of the season to sign for Barnsley and Smalley went to Oxford but Lester is a goalscorer and Whittaker is still a threat from midfield; he was in his Oldham days too.

Their manager says they are confident of a result, so I am sure they will come and be happy with a point so lets get at them from the first whistle !

....excuse all this positivity and optimism - it is the 1st game of the season !! Will be back to normal come 5pm Saturday !

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
i cant see enoch being fit for saturday i think we will nick it 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We could really do with making a strong start this season, and if we play as we have in recent friendlies there is no reason why we can't.

The forward line on Saturday will be interesting given Enoch's almost certain absence: in the long term I would still like to see McGurk played up front in a 4-4-2, but with Enoch injured and Tiriaki yet to be signed, we are certain to start with a 4-5-1 against the Spireites. I won't have any complaints provided the recent emphasis on decent quality football is carried into the season proper.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Well I'm a bit gutted to be honest as my family holiday starting on Friday means i will be missing the first game of the season yet a-bloody-gain. So I will be in Bournemouth as we kick off.

As others have said, the importance of a good start can't be underestimated and we have started very badly the last couple of seasons. I can't call it but I'm going with my heart for a 2-0 win.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Well I'm a bit gutted to be honest as my family holiday starting on Friday means i will be missing the first game of the season yet a-bloody-gain. So I will be in Bournemouth as we kick off.

funny, my mate who's a bournemouth fan is stuck in the north west.

zoum mcgurk akins will probably be the "front 3". Interesting to see if joss lab starts.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK, well we should be seeing Tiryaki as well. Plenty of new faces to get used to.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Even if Enoch's unfit, can't see Teryaki starting, given Les' observations about his need to adapt from part-time to full-time player, but he may feature on the bench.
From the pre-season selections, I can't see Joss starting this one unless one of Weir, Welsh or Robinson's unfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.