• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Ravens

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bromley up next at PP. The Ravens had a good start to the season, but have faded a little and are currently just outside the play-off zone. As highlighted in Micky's pre-match interview, they have two of the in-form strikers in their line up namely Josh Rees and Louis Dennis, though I think the latter is more of a wide player. Ex-Rovers Ben Chorley and Adam Mekki also on their books and featuring regularly, though Adam missed their last game, a draw with Maidstone and may be injured.

It looks like Buxton will be available again and the manager's remarks gave the impression he'll start, if fitness confirmed. Tollitt is also ready to start, but Micky's remarks about him were more equivocal, so either Ben won't start or there are mind games afoot. Personally, I'd use him from the bench, but know that other regulars on here think he should be in from the off. Otherwise, no new injuries, so not expecting many changes.

Prediction: Few football tourists, as Red Scouse don't have a game this weekend, so expecting the attendance to drop a bit, around the 4.7k mark. Last season, we were comfortably ahead 2-0, when Buxton got sent off and ended up drawing. Despite the presence of some of the NL leading scorers on both sides, think this might be a cagier fixture than that stat suggests, but expecting Rovers to edge a win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really need to win this ahead of another tough game on Tuesday. Bromley score plenty of goals and up until recently, Mekki has been in good form with a few goals and assists and actually completing the 90 minutes on numerous occasions.

If we can score early I think we could be too much for them. But the longer stays 0-0 the more cagey it could get.

If fit expect Buxton to be back in with ridehalgh reverting to left back ahead of Clarke. Personally I would start Tollit. Ginnelly has done nothing wrong but we need our best players playing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Adam Mekki is injured I believe. Bromley are actually still in good form, unbeaten in eight and with only two defeats in the last fourteen games. Since we last played them they have also added ex-Premier League player Roger Johnson at the back, and he has been impressive apparently. However, if we want to compete for the title we must win. Certainly, anything other than a victory would put massive pressure on next Tuesday's game.

I would personally start Tollitt and Clarke. We need our best, most creative players in the side for a game where the visitors would see a draw as a good result. I think we will have too much for them and will win relatively comfortably, in front of another gate of circa 5,000.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I think Ben & Rides will start with Bucko back in at right back if I read MM's thoughts correctly, as portrayed in his interview....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mekki has been in good form with a few goals and assists and actually completing the 90 minutes on numerous occasions.
That put a smile on my face Sparky.

I agree with RLC. I think we need to come out of this with a good win and I think we'll have too much in the creative department for them. 3-1 victory in front of just under 5k although I do expect a frustrating first 20 minutes.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The corresponding away fixture effectively ended our poor start to the season. It was a closely fought but uninspiring match in which we were rewarded for our application and patience by a last gasp winner from Nors. Both sides have moved up the table since, but Rovers' form is better and I would be surprised and disappointed if we don't win. With Aldershot playing Macc and Sutton entertaining Wrexham, this is a great chance to close the gap on at least two of our rivals if not all four. My only concern is whether the players have one eye on Tuesday's game with Macc.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Great day of fixtures in our league. A day that can change fortunes for all the top half dozen.
If Bucko is fit then he's a gimme.
But do you play safe and keep him for Tuesday?
If Tollitt starts tomorrow he won't on Tuesday so, again, do you bench him?
I don't think MM will be looking further than tomorrow. Tollitt to start and if Bucko ok he'll be back with Rides switching back to left.
At least we're not discussing if Cookie is in favour!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Bucko back. Otherwise unchanged. Clarke will appear if we are struggling. Tolitt will come on after 60 minutes no matter what.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
1-0 h/t, keeper error polished off by CJ. Bromley got into us from the off, unsettled us and we’ve been playing too many long balls. So far the visitors have looked decent up to the final third.

Player
Manager
John King
Considering their position Bromley have been woeful, very negative. Rovers clearly the better side, just need the second goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Slightly disappointing first half with no real cutting edge. Should be doing much better with the chances we’ve had. These are here for the taking (how many times have we said that!). Think we’ll ramp it up a bit more in the second half but game is crying out for some creativity. Subs please !!

Bit of a fortuitous goal but they all count!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Considering their position Bromley have been woeful, very negative. Rovers clearly the better side, just need the second goal.
Agreed. Doesn’t help when you set your stall out for a draw. Game should open up a bit more now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Still haven’t killed the game off and Bromley have had a few half chances.

Player
aldo
well that was hard fought . but we gave the ball away too mutch didnt close down enough . did not use the wings enough . if we play like that on tuesday we will get punished . but main thing is we are 2nd and 3 massive points

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with AM, made hard work of that one and will have to do better on Tuesday. But a win’s a win.

Player
Manager
John King
A horrible, scrappy game but a vital and deserved victory.

We were the better, more creative side but the game was torture to watch at times, in large part due to the approach of the opposition. For the first thirty minutes Bromley rarely left their own half and had nine players around their own eighteen yard box at times. Even after we took the lead they seemed more intent on niggling and breaking up play with a succession of cynical fouls, albeit they did threaten on a few occasions. However, Rovers were poor by their recent standards, particularly in midfield. They were too many stray passes and Norburn in particular has been poor for a couple of games now.

We had the better chances throughout, notably Norwood who had three he should have done better with. However, we were still indebted to Davies for a couple of good saves, in particular one brilliant reaction save at the death when Jennings (who was otherwise excellent) inexplicably tried to dribble on the edge of his own box.

Individually, Davies and the back four were excellent and limited Bromley to scraps. Elsewhere, I was impressed with Ginnelly again and Harris worked incredibly hard, but I thought Jennings was the best of the outfield players and was involved in most of our best moves. A special word also to the SWA who were brilliant today, really dragging the team over the line in the second half.

I think Tuesday's game will be a completely different affair.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A 1-0 win is enough. And Sutton and Wrexham's draw has helped us. Macc had a great win at Shots to help us into second place. However, to have a realistic chance of automatic promotion a win on Tuesday is essential.

drwhoman

Agree BBTC. Rovers have done very well considering the very average summer transfer window and the poor start to the season. Let us hope that Norburn steps up against his old club!