• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Plymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our opponents come into this game after a Cup and JPT defeat preceded by a league win, seem to have disciplinary problems, but Bradley Wright-Phillips is in a vein of goalscoring form. So I'm not quite sure what to expect from us.

Fitness issues concern Goodi and Jennings. Joss 5th booking ban will rule him out, I think. Would expect us to revert to a 433 format. Think Cresswell will get the nod over Zoum at the back, Grandison replacing Goodi, if required. Probably Mendy coming into the midfield, though my preference would be for a more attacking option in Ryan Fraughan. If Jennings isn't fit, reckon Les will probably stick with Akins up front.

Prediction; this one's got the feel of a score draw maybe 2-2, while a bigger travelling support and the entertainment in the last home game may bolster the crowd to just short of 5k.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I have a feeling Baka will get the nod at left-back, but not sure why. Also expect us to line-up in a 4-3-3, which means at least 2 changes in central midfield; only Welsh will retain his place given Labadie's suspension. Expecting Mendy and Blanchard to come in, but a bit worried there's nobody in there to link up with Enoch.

In Jenno we trust. He'll be fine to start.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Sparky makes a good point in the Bury thread that 4-3-3 works with our strongest XI playing. I agree; so logic would say play 4-4-2 against Plymouth since the loss of Labadie warrants bringing in an additional midfielder. However, straight away you see Les's dilemma; how can you NOT play Enoch-ITM-Jennings up front?

Perhaps the answer for this game is to play a narrower 4-3-1-2 with ITM sitting behind the 2 forwards and supplying the link between midfield and attack that Labadie's energy usually provides. For this game I would, therefore, go with: Gulacsi / Cathalina-Goodison-Broomes-Zoom / Welsh-Mendy-Blanchard / ITM / Enoch-Jennings.

I would include Zoom in preference to Cresswell on Saturday to provide us with more attacking width, helping to counteract my rather defensive-minded midfield trio and narrower front 2. I think Goodi will play, and I think he should play even if it is on one leg rather tham picking Grandison.

Maybe this selection is too radical for Les, but I have long since given up trying to understand some of his choices. Anyway, what right have I to challenge him as a manager - my only qualification was a Cubs First Aid Badge?

The result? A 2-0 footballing extravaganza with my formation, a 1-2 hoofball reverse if we go 4-3-3 without Labadie. If Grandison plays instead of Goodison add 2 goals to the opposition score in both scenarios. Attendance 4,863.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I cant decide how this one will go.

Plymouth can be beaten but if Joss and Dale arent playing, thats 2 big players out. Knowing Goodi, he will make it tho.

I would prefer Fraughan in but reckon he'll go with Mendy certainly in the first half and maybe change it if things arent going well.

Will be amazed though if he doesnt play 4-3-3. Bury was a different game but back to bread and butter stuff now and the trusty 4-3-3 that did okay against MK Dons.

I'm going for a sneaky 1-0 win with Captain Marvel grabbing the winner.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The result? A 2-0 footballing extravaganza with my formation, a 1-2 hoofball reverse if we go 4-3-3 without Labadie. If Grandison plays instead of Goodison add 2 goals to the opposition score in both scenarios
I think this just highlights the frailty of our squad. Full strength, we are fairly confident of victory, but with a few key players like Goodison and/or Labadie out, and it becomes a different story.

I'm not going to make a prediction as it will all depend on who is playing.
Fingers crossed Goodison and Jennings to play, then we have a chance :-D

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We won at Bury without Goodison and Jennings. I know Bury are L2, but Plymouth are not playing well this season and will have had a long journey. This is the sort of game we need to win to have any chance of getting clear of the drop zone.

Broomes' experience at the back will be key. If Enoch can rediscover his shooting boots, then we could win 2-0 or 2-1.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Perhaps the answer for this game is to play a narrower 4-3-1-2 with ITM sitting behind the 2 forwards and supplying the link between midfield and attack that Labadie's energy usually provides. For this game I would, therefore, go with: Gulacsi / Cathalina-Goodison-Broomes-Zoom / Welsh-Mendy-Blanchard / ITM / Enoch-Jennings.

Too narrow, too complex. No professional side to my knowledge has ever played this formation, nor do I think ITM is the sort of player you want "in the hole". May as well stick with 4-3-3 - Fraughan could take Labadie's place, but knowing Les, probably won't.

Not sure why everyone hates Grandison all of a sudden. He was poor vs Bury, but good in every game previous.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure what formation Les will start with for this one. Mendy is an obvious replacement for Labadie, but a trio of Welsh, Blanchard and Mendy is seriously lacking quality and creativity.

Fraughan can provide extra creativity, but I can't see Les playing him as part of a midfield three, so perhaps he will go 4-4-2 for this one ?

Regardless of the formation, if ITM, Enoch and Jennings all start I am confident of victory tomorrow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn't we play something like a 4312 formation last season for a few games when Shuker was one of the front three, but positioned behind the front two? While I'm not enough of a tactics expert to know if SonkORLY?'s assertion that no professional side has used this is correct, certainly agree that ITM would be ineffective as the player behind a front pair; it might work with Jennings or Fraughan, but too much of an experiment imo.

On other points, I'd think Les will go for Cresswell as left back, especially given the lack of creativity in midfield Rockford's Love Child points out, we'll be desperate for his set piece skills. I never thought Grandison was particularly good or bad, but Bury was the first time he'd played alongside Broomes, so a different defensive partner to get used to. I'd still be happier with Goodison at the back though.

M

Mal

Off topic but does anyone know anything about centre-half Mark McChrystal - supposedly being targeted by Tranmere?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Off topic but does anyone know anything about centre-half Mark McChrystal - supposedly being targeted by Tranmere?
According to Wikipedia, he is a 26-year-old defender who started with Wolves, went back home to play for Derry City then had a spell at Partick Thistle before being released and returning to Derry.

We already have two Ulsterman on our books (McGurk and Morrow). Obviously our scout there has been working overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.