• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Grimsby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not expecting much change for this. Goodison will come in to lend experience, though doubt he's fully match fit. Gunning to partner, if Blackburn will let him play. Stockdale ex-player and think Mike Newell was on our backroom staff. A win will help morale, but given neither the Andy Taylor sale nor Mark Allott's departure have freed up any more money for players, don't expect a good cup run will allow us to add to the playing staf

Player
Johnny Morrissey
It's vital we get a win here. For a number of reasons. One, the financial situation which given a good cup run could improve or if we get a big side in the next round. Two, to boost confidence within the side and get into that winning mentality! And three to keep those "we hate Barnes, we hate McAteer, we're gonna lose forever and ever" fans quiet for a while to let the team concentrate on playing and hopefully get those doubters behind our team!

Goodison and Edds will be available, and we might hopefully see Broomes as well to add experience to the back four which is much needed imo. Lets hope the Yeovil result hasn't dinted the young lads' confidence too much and we can see a good display from the team to get us back on track.

Team I'd personally like to see picked:
Daniels;
Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Cresswell;
Shuker, Edds, McLaren, Mahon;
Thomas-Moore, Gornell.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Fully expect an improvement after Yeovil. The highly-anticipated return of fans favourite Gareth Edds to the Rovers bench should mean we're in for a party atmosphere at PP on Tuesday night. Goodison also returns to add a sense of seniority to the baby-faced back four that started on Saturday, and I'm expecting that to be the only change.

Grimsby are awful. If Alan Mahon doesn't rip Robbie Stockdale to shreds i'll cry. Here's to hoping Barnes will be able to maintain our reputation as a side who are incredibly difficult to beat at home and we can get one over Mike Newell in the process.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Grimsby are coming off the back of a disappointing 2-1 defeat at the hands of Cheltenham Town. They'll hardly be brimming with confidence either. In their ranks, they are likely to have 3 ex-Tranmere players. Robbie Stockdale and Adam Proudlock who both started on Saturday, and Paul Linwood who was an unused substitute for the Mariners, as well as Mike Newell their manager who used to be reserve team coach at Prenton Park.

Grimsby's likely starting line-up:
Colgan; Stockdale, Bennett, Atkinson, Widdowson; Jones, Boshell, Sweeney, Hegerty; Proudlock, Conlon.

Odds for the game:
  • Tranmere 4/6, Draw 5/2, Grimsby 16/5
  • Tranmere 1-0 : 5/1, Grimsby 1-0 : 9/1
  • Tranmere 2-0 : 6/1, Grimsby 2-0 : 20/1
  • Tranmere 2-1 : 12/1, Grimsby 2-1 : 12/1
  • Tranmere 3-0 : 12/1, Grimsby 3-0 : 66/1
  • Tranmere 3-1 : 11/1, Grimsby 3-1 : 40/1
  • Draw 0-0 : 17/2
  • Draw 1-1 : 6/1
  • Draw 2-2 : 14/1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
SonkORLY? I'm not sure, think you're being tongue in cheek about Mahon. We haven't been getting any crosses in from the left. I'd like Barnes to be more attacking here, given our limited resources. Edds r/b, Logan l/b, Cresswell wide-left + Mahon central midfield. SCoops, I'd have some misgivings about a Goodison Broomes central defensive pairing at this stage, given questions about their match-fitness.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
SonkORLY? I'm not sure, think you're being tongue in cheek about Mahon. We haven't been getting any crosses in from the left. I'd like Barnes to be more attacking here, given our limited resources. Edds r/b, Logan l/b, Cresswell wide-left + Mahon central midfield. SCoops, I'd have some misgivings about a Goodison Broomes central defensive pairing at this stage, given questions about their match-fitness.

Nah, Stockdale is awful IMO and if Mahon can't show him up then we're in trouble given he's our top earner and supposedly turned down offers from Championship clubs to come here.

Agree re: Goodi/Broomes. Gunning looked good on Saturday and I'd like to see him start again. Disagree strongly with any line-up that includes Gareth Edds though, personally think establishing a settled starting XI might be wiser than switching people round all over the place. I do think Cressa would be good wide left though.

Player
Liam Palmer
Nah, Stockdale is awful IMO and if Mahon can't show him up then we're in trouble given he's our top earner and supposedly turned down offers from Championship clubs to come here.

Please note I am on holiday at present and cannot respond to these disgraceful comments about the great Robbie Stockdale.

Gutted about missing the Gareth Edds Party Night at PP tomorrow

M

Mal

Forgive me not understanding. What's the problem with Gareth Edds? That is , why do so many seem to dislike him?

DWaltz

Edds is shocking, he is one player I actually really dislike in our squad. He can barely run, hes the slowest player I have ever seen. I wouldnt like him to start tomorrow.

I would play this team:

Daniels

Logan Goodison Gunning Cresswell

Shuker Welsh McLaren Mahon

Gornell Moore

Subs: Collister, Broomes, Taylor, Fraughan, Curran, Macauley, Edds.

I dont think Stockdale is as bad as that to be honest, he is okay defensively just bad going forward. Mahon isnt exactly a byline winger either so i doubt he will rip him to shreads but hopefully he can create something.

Grimsby arent that bad, they had a bad season last year but Newell saved them. Newell is a good manager and they signed quite a few players this summer so can´t really judge what they will be like.

If your expecting us to piss on them then you need to think again, there is little difference between most League 1 and League 2 sides. I am expecting us to win the game though, I would say 2-1 Rovers.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I had a good feeling about the last game, so that tells you guys how much I know, I would like to see the lads win this game tomorrow, to restore my faith in Mr Barns.
My team for tomorrows game would be same as DWaltz with maybe Welsh dropping to the bench allowing Edd's to play

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Just a note for you guys, Gunning has not been given permission to play in the Carling Cup so will NOT play any part tomorrow. Goodison will come in for sure, and play alongside Taylor or Broomes.

Agree to an extent about Broomes and Goodison not having match fitness. Well they can't have, they haven't played any matches. However, I just feel not matter how much promise Ash Taylor has got, he isn't ready for the first team just yet and I feel the experience in the back four would help the young full backs and give us a stronger spine. But only time will tell, I don't know just how fit they are so just making assumuptions really.

Just hope we can win our first Carling Cup game since 2004! Please Rovers please!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Goodison played with the reserves at Colwyn Bay last week and looked rusty. While he didn't bust a gut getting back to Birkenhead, he's a talisman and good organiser at the back, so must play. Just don't know enough about Broomes' fitness and think Ash Taylor could provide the legs. He'd also learn a lot from playing along Goodi. Hadn't realised our league cup record was that bad!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm really looking forward to this game. Not only is it tenner to get in, but this will be the first time I've seen the lads since last season.

Come on Rovers!!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Don't build your hopes up too much Ian lol. No, I'm excited too, first home competitive game of the season, just hope we can perform.

Yeah I was reminded of our record in the league cup since we made the final, not good! A first round win at home to Bury and Shrewsbury I think in the last 8 years.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Edds is shocking, he is one player I actually really dislike in our squad. He can barely run, hes the slowest player I have ever seen.

If we are to bestow Uncle Gareth with such an accolade, we first need to see him lose to Kevin Gray in a 100m sprint IMO.

Player
Goodison
I'm going to this one, also my first game since Scunthorpe away. With Goodison back at least we have a chance! Hopefully Gornell will get a game instead of either Moore/Curran. I'm expecting same line up as Yeovil with Goodison replacing Gunning.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yeah it has been mooted that the only change will be Goodi coming in for Gunning at the back. I too would like to see Gornell given a chance as I think he did well pre-season.

Shall just have to see how we get on tonight. It's a must win game for Barnes. The amount of stick he is getting already, he needs to buck the tide and get a win for us. Plus we need the confidence going into the difficult league fixtures we'll be facing in the coming weeks.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I wish I was going but sadly I'm at work, I will have to rely on skysports to keep me updated...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
See that we've picked the SCoops defensive line-up. Also Gornell on the bench again. Otherwise line-up as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.