• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Ebbsfleet

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers look to make it 8 home wins in a row where 3 points could see us go 3rd depending on the results of Wrexham & Sutton. The visitors lie 11th in the league, 8 points off rovers but have lost the same amount of games as us (8). Recent results have been inconsistent to say the least. Fleet had the embarrassment of losing at home to Chester before an away win at Maidstone. A good away point at Aldershot was following by a 3-0 home defeat to Boreham Wood last Saturday. One to watch is striker Danny Kedwell who has 11 goals this season or thereabouts.

Fleet have only won 3 of their 15 away games this season, but have drawn 8 so may be tough to break down and I’m sure would take a point if offered.
As for team news, the match comes too soon for Davies & Cole. Another match is planned on Tuesday for the likes of Tollit & Wallace but both are available if required. However I don’t think either will feature and suspect Micky thinks we’ll have enough to win the game. Would be nice to see Ben on the bench though to change the game if required. I’m hoping for more from Jennings after last Saturday.

I think we’ll be unchanged. Ridehalgh did ok at Wrexham including one goal saving clearance when Taylor didn’t deal well with a shot. There is an argument Eddie will offer more going forward but I suspect Micky will stick with the same eleven. Let’s hope they have worked with Taylor a bit this week – is there a chance Pilling could play?!?!

Prediction: a narrow rovers win which will do nicely.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree that we will be unchanged, but I think Clarke should play ahead of Ridehalgh. Liam has been solid since coming into the side but Clarke gives us so much more going forward and is certainly the better option at home when we need to break teams down. He did not look as effective playing on the left wing ahead of Ridehalgh when he came on last week and is most dangerous when he is running from deep.

Ebbsfleet play some nice football and were the better side in the return fixture, when we put in a pretty dire display. However, I don't think they have the same quality as Fylde, for example, and we should win this one relatively comfortably. With Aldershot, Sutton and Macclesfield not playing, it is vital we get three points to pile on the pressure at the top.

Pe-match ticket sales are healthy again and it seems there will be a gate of around 5,000, with about 100-150 from Kent.

M

Mal

Despite what people say about taylor , Tranmere have won 2 and drawn 2 when he has been in goal. and three of those games were away. And he hasn't conceded five in a game.

However, I agree that his time not playing full league games at Fylde has left him a bit rusty and needing some coaching. I cannot fault him for the 2 goals at Wrexham though.

Player
Manager
John King
And he hasn't conceded five in a game.
He has not played a team from two divisions higher when down to ten men. Davies is a better keeper and will come straight back into the side when fit.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As Sparky highlights, Ebbsfleet's form is erratic, so hard to feel confident what sort of game we'll get off them. As well as Kedwell, Sam Magri was a decent full-back at Dover, while the thuggy Chris Bush was lucky to avoid getting sent off playing for Chelmsford against us last season. At least there's no James Alabi to demonstrate the ex-players scoring against former clubs rule.

I thought Norwood looked jaded v Wrexham, wasn't doing as much running as usual, but we don't have the options up front to to give him a rest. Wasn't sure Eddie Clarke was fully fit last weekend either, however if he is now, then would expect him to start. With Scott Davies return not too far off, expect Taylor will keep his place in goal for now and add to our nerves. It would be a surprise if Tollitt makes the bench, but I'd feel happier if Mangan was there ahead of Dunn

Prediction, no scouse side at home on Saturday, so we should get a decent turnout, probably ~ 4.9k like Maidenhead. My gut feeling is we'll drop points in this game, thinking a draw.

Player
aldo
Well ive had the week from hell. And need a rovers win. cant be there this weekend will be with my mum in hospital . Thing's get put in perspective when you have sh@#$t weeks its only football . S .W . A

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
All the omens point to a comfortable Rovers win. Our form is good generally and is great at home, Ebbsfleet have little to play for and we are at near full strength. So why am I nervous? Because this is TRFC. :(

M

Mal

He has not played a team from two divisions higher when down to ten men. Davies is a better keeper and will come straight back into the side when fit.
My point is there has been endless whingeing about Taylor but the points gained when he has played are , more than likely, the same as if Davies or more to the point, Pilling, played. The away form has been relatively poor this season and I don't see that the team would have got more than the 5 points in 3 games had Pilling or Davies played. I agree the 'Tranmere' first choice keeper will be back when fit. Be dumb to choose a loan keeper over the actual first choice 'permanent' player.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I think we're a bit spoilt because we have Scottie.
I thought we had a good un in Fon Williams. Terrific shot stopper but like dracular with crosses, rooted to his line.
Scottie's overall game is greatly superior.
Taylor perhaps falls in the OFW category?
Think the world of Rides but adopting the horses for courses argument, agree with RLC that Eddie C in home games gives us an extra outlet.
Agree with Boz as well that Mangan on bench at expense of Dunn. You can rely on him putting the effort in, harrying and generally being a pain in the arse for opposition defence when he comes on with fresh legs.
It's a first visit to PP for them so they'll raise their game and our record against PP virgins isn't great.
But it would be a real blow to morale if we don't pick up the points.
An early opener for us please to settle everyone down!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Quote from their manager:
“We all know what it’s like at Prenton Park, it’s aggressive and they’ve got some top players.”
I assume that's the royal "we".
And I would like to assume he's referring to an aggressive atmosphere as opposed to player inclination.
He's half right though!

Player
Manager
John King
My point is there has been endless whingeing about Taylor but the points gained when he has played are , more than likely, the same as if Davies or more to the point, Pilling, played. The away form has been relatively poor this season and I don't see that the team would have got more than the 5 points in 3 games had Pilling or Davies played. I agree the 'Tranmere' first choice keeper will be back when fit. Be dumb to choose a loan keeper over the actual first choice 'permanent' player.
Your comment that Taylor had not 'conceded five' was a clear dig at Davies, so I was quite reasonably pointing out that he is a better keeper.

I have no idea what the 'endless whingeing' is you refer to. The purpose of a fan site is to comment on the performance of players and a number of those that have actually seen Taylor play (which I don't believe you have) have not been convinced by him. The points return from recent matches reflects the performance of the whole team, not just the goalkeeper, and in those matches Taylor was directly responsible for one of the two goals conceded against Maidenhead and put in a very poor showing in the second half at Wrexham, fumbling two straightforward shots and collecting a cross in the closing stages more by luck than judgement.

Even if a goalkeeper does not make mistakes which lead directly to goals, he can cause uncertainty in the back four. I have seen signs of that in recent matches because of Taylor's reluctance to come off his line.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even if a goalkeeper does not make mistakes which lead directly to goals, he can cause uncertainty in the back four. I have seen signs of that in recent matches because of Taylor's reluctance to come off his line.
That has been echoed numerous times by supporters I’ve spoken to who regularly attend away games. In general, supporters don’t have a great deal of confidence in him.

Player
aldo
we need to be on the front foot an get at em from the off . we cant afford to drop points . a comfy 3-0 will do but settle for a hard 1-0

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We simply have to win this game if we are serious about promotion. Winning this would put us in a great position. I'd like to see Clarke back for this one simply because he is a great outlet down that left side.

Player
Manager
John King
Unchanged team, tollitt on the bench. Surprised Clarke is not starting.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The bench gives us more options with Mangan, Tollitt and Clarke available. I’d have started Eddie today but MMs treatment of Pilling and Gumbs shows he attaches a high weight to experience

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Despite the reported line up Clarke starts...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Buxton not playing. Rides at right-back hmm