• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Donny

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Doncaster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Donny
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, December 26, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, December 26, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with RLC that Doncaster played in a bizarre way. Against a team winless in ten games they played a single striker and only changed it when 2-0 down. Even in the second half at times they were slow in possession and you’d think they were seeing the game out. Very strange but im
Not complaining

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well that's been a long time coming,a comprehensive and thoroughly deserved victory. Mumbongo brought a presence up front which we have been lacking for most of the season so far. Hopefully the goals for Hemmings and Morris will do their confidence the world of good and the team go on a good run now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think as RLC mentions above, the key here was the addition of Mumbongo to bolster the attack. A presence like that we have been missing all season and Hemmings had his best game for a while, no coincidence!

Doncaster were just too negative, even when a goal down. Very bizarre but we took advantage nicely and that should give everyone a lift and some confidence going into the next few games.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Can we play them every week?

Doncaster had a plan, and they stuck to it! It was the same ball from the back to our left side! But It was so slow and easy to defend against. They were shocking.!
Regardless of how bad they were, we were comfortable winners, centre backs have us a solid foundation to build on. Mumbango
lead the line, and we punished them with three good footballing goals.

A good three points on Boxing Day, just what was needed.
Onwards to Barrow.

Still can't believe how bad they were!!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

drwhoman

Great win! Just to demonstrate my ignorance (!), why were Rovers not playing in their white strip?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wasn’t able to follow the game much yesterday due to family commitments but great to see the highlights. Some quality goals and good that all three scorers were players who’ve been below par recently, though Kieron Morris mainly for his lack of goals. His was the pick of the strikes today. Hopefully a turning point although Doncaster didn’t impress.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Yesterday's match wasn't as different as many seem to think. Tranmere played 442 not what has effectively been 441 for weeks. Unlike the far more successful Bradford who play one up and pack the midfield allowing different players to join the attack, Tranmere have tried using two forwards when they didn't have them.
Mumbongo was himself admirable in a long shift and shows individual promise, but it was the presence of a competent and combative second forward that changed everything.
Hemmings played as always but had less attention, notably no one could be spared to get in front of him for his goal. Morris was less shackled and Cogley had more to aim at. Merrie suddenly had targets he could thread balls towards.
Nevitt could yet flourish with shorter roles off the bench, but if one of the club's two accomplished forwards are missing Mellon surely has to go to a midfield five.
The entire league now target the left flank, fortunately yesterday the reticent Donny had their best spell in the first two minutes, when twice the Tranmere left flank opened up completely. Thankfully the tactic was then limited to aimless long hits to the right wing of little threat. Bristow will never learn positional play, I suspect extensive coaching is now damaging his confidence as his attacking play is going backwards. The left flank has developed nothing in weeks. Faced with one defender and acres of space beyond him, Bristow passes back, the ball ends up at Doohan who hoofs it back to where Bristow had been and possession is lost. A push and go allied with his speed is surely the way forward, he would soon pass Hawkes and Merrie would track across. The downside is limited
The Tranmere check back to goal is a symptom of the lack of attacking intent, especially when it often comes from a break away!!!
Generally I think a bog standard competent left back would be the ideal signing although another forward option would not harm.
I have reviewed Stockport's progress recently and they are miles ahead I'm afraid. A full squad with no dreams like Palios has, of turning rejects into sales (how many years does this take?). They already have an U-18 as do sinking Oldham, Crewe have an U-21 as well. Meanwhile Tranmere's reserves just get rustier.
Finally the Tranmere bench remains next to useless. Two centre halves is a sign of no resources, regardless of how poor those players are. Stockport used four impact subs yesterday after a sole injury.
Hemmings got his first minutes off work yesterday because a completely legs gone, data spent thirty something is a better option than the sub most weeks. It is a 16 man game, even if you crept into the play offs your squad would surely be spent.
Great forum by the way, another one seems to relish on defeats and endless repeated debate.
Slainte Mhaith 2023

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
hi all yea well played yesterday missed all things football as was really busy with another big Xmas party only NYE to go and for once I am off and not working it doing some glow bowling and getting pissed

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yesterday's match wasn't as different as many seem to think. Tranmere played 442 not what has effectively been 441 for weeks. Unlike the far more successful Bradford who play one up and pack the midfield allowing different players to join the attack, Tranmere have tried using two forwards when they didn't have them.
Mumbongo was himself admirable in a long shift and shows individual promise, but it was the presence of a competent and combative second forward that changed everything.
Hemmings played as always but had less attention, notably no one could be spared to get in front of him for his goal. Morris was less shackled and Cogley had more to aim at. Merrie suddenly had targets he could thread balls towards.
Nevitt could yet flourish with shorter roles off the bench, but if one of the club's two accomplished forwards are missing Mellon surely has to go to a midfield five.
The entire league now target the left flank, fortunately yesterday the reticent Donny had their best spell in the first two minutes, when twice the Tranmere left flank opened up completely. Thankfully the tactic was then limited to aimless long hits to the right wing of little threat. Bristow will never learn positional play, I suspect extensive coaching is now damaging his confidence as his attacking play is going backwards. The left flank has developed nothing in weeks. Faced with one defender and acres of space beyond him, Bristow passes back, the ball ends up at Doohan who hoofs it back to where Bristow had been and possession is lost. A push and go allied with his speed is surely the way forward, he would soon pass Hawkes and Merrie would track across. The downside is limited
The Tranmere check back to goal is a symptom of the lack of attacking intent, especially when it often comes from a break away!!!
Generally I think a bog standard competent left back would be the ideal signing although another forward option would not harm.
I have reviewed Stockport's progress recently and they are miles ahead I'm afraid. A full squad with no dreams like Palios has, of turning rejects into sales (how many years does this take?). They already have an U-18 as do sinking Oldham, Crewe have an U-21 as well. Meanwhile Tranmere's reserves just get rustier.
Finally the Tranmere bench remains next to useless. Two centre halves is a sign of no resources, regardless of how poor those players are. Stockport used four impact subs yesterday after a sole injury.
Hemmings got his first minutes off work yesterday because a completely legs gone, data spent thirty something is a better option than the sub most weeks. It is a 16 man game, even if you crept into the play offs your squad would surely be spent.
Great forum by the way, another one seems to relish on defeats and endless repeated debate.
Slainte Mhaith 2023
Welcome to the form, DB. And thanks for the good wishes. I believe the correct response is "do dheagh shlainte".

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Off topic I know but does anyone how many Crewe tickets are left for sale? I’ve tried the club shop but can’t get through