• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Donny

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Doncaster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Donny
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, December 26, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, December 26, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Well it is fair to say we could do with some festive cheer some goals and a good win so can we please have it Mr. Mellon oh yea Happy Christmas lads and girls

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rovers v Donny was the first match I ever saw us play back in August 1958. It was our first fixture of the new Third Division after North and South had been combined. It seems a long time ago and it was! We won 3-0. I think there’s little chance of a repeat but a win would do to give us some Christmas cheer and relieve the pressure on Micky and the lads. Recently both good and bad performances have not given us the points. Any win would do! I’m too nervous to predict the result as at Christmas any result is possible.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Doncaster likely to be a much sterner test than Crawley would have been but they’ve almost lost as many as they’ve won so we have a chance. A win may take them into the play offs. They’ve had some odd results beating Newport recently but losing 3-0 at Colchester and 2-0 at home to Walsall.

They have a lot of experience in their ranks and decent attacking players like agard and Liverpool loanee max woltman. This will be a real challenge for us and with a trip to barrow a few days later who have an excellent home record, we could do with something to end this winless run we’re one. Let’s face it, The calendar year 2022 has been pretty poor overall for us in terms of points and goals

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
we Also got Stevenage coming up a few hard games, to say the least

drwhoman

Rovers v Donny was the first match I ever saw us play back in August 1958. It was our first fixture of the new Third Division after North and South had been combined. It seems a long time ago and it was! We won 3-0. I think there’s little chance of a repeat but a win would do to give us some Christmas cheer and relieve the pressure on Micky and the lads. Recently both good and bad performances have not given us the points. Any win would do! I’m too nervous to predict the result as at Christmas any result is possible.
You have an impressive memory BBTC! I must have started attending around the same time. I recall going with my father and other male relatives when Peter Farrell and Tommy Eglington were playing. Wiki tells me tat Peter signed in Oct 57 and left in 1960.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My first Rovers game was a 0-0 with Swansea in the late 60s.

Doncaster had a lot of injury difficulties last season which contributed to their relegation and they indulged McSheffrey in the manager's role a bit longer than their poor start to the season deserved. Danny Schofield, after a short unsuccessful stint at Huddersfield is now head coach. I'm not familiar with a lot of their squad, but Adam Clayton is quality and Agard who was with us for a spell last pre-season

I don't know if there have been any injury updates in particular with reference to Nevitt. If he's fit it will probably play alongside the undroppable Hemmings. If not there should be some game time for Mumbongo and possibly Burton. Turnbull will come straight back in central defence after his suspension, , but wouldn't expect many other changes. While we're in need of the win, think that might have to wait a little longer...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Per Micky's pre-match interview, Nevitt is not training at the moment so must be a doubt. Mumbongo looked some way short of match fitness on Tuesday night, and will probably get twenty to thirty minutes from the bench at most.

In addition to the players mentioned, Doncaster also have Kyle Knoyle at full back, who was outstanding for Cambridge when they won promotion a couple of years ago, former Hartlepool winger Luke Molyneux and George Miller, who is averaging about one goal every two games this season. Donny are a reasonable side but there is no reason why we can't beat them if we match the recent performances at Northampton, Swindon, Burton etc.

The ticket sales seem pretty good, with 500 tickets sold in the away end already, so it should be a reasonable gate.

Like Boz, my first Rovers game was a nil-nil against Peterborough in the early eighties, with David Seaman in goal for the visitors. A certain Colin Clarke also played up front for Posh that night.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
oh yea Happy Christmas lads and girls
Have a good Xmas AM! Don't be stuck in the kitchen all day cooking Turkey!

I really hope we do win but I have serious concerns up front. Hopefully Mumbongo will offer us something different when he's fit but that will be a few weeks off yet, so we have the hapless Hemmings up front with maybe Lewis helping him out. I just can't see where the goals will come from. We can't buy a win at the moment and Donny have won three from their last five. Having said that, it is Xmas and we have to win some time so I'm going for a festive 1-0 win with a goal coming from midfield.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
just got home after setting Xmas day up I only have 150 to feed and another 100 on Boxing day we have been so busy I am looking forward to Jan when we finally get a day off not had one in 3 and a half weeks tired does not compare to how we feel but at the end of the day the Amazing compliments we have received and the happy faces we see make it all worth it my Xmas day will be in Jan

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mumbongo in to partner Hemmings. Well that will create a different dynamic, let's hope he's fit enough. Come on Rovers!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Worth a try with Mumbongo though probably won’t be able to last beyond the first half. Turnbull returning no surprise. Hope we can turn things around.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No doubt knowing our luck mumbongo will limp off after half an hour

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A Hemmings tap in from a typical cogley and Morris combination gives us the lead and it’s deserved

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How wrong can you be! Merry Christmas everyone. ;)

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
hi all what was the game like bet you all must have fallen over with 3 goals how was Joel m hope he turns out to put pressure on the other lads

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A well deserved victory for Rovers.

I think the combination of Mumbongo and Hemmings up front was the key to the performance. Joel gave us the physical presence we have been lacking all season in the centre forward position and his ability to hold the ball up and do the simple things well brought out a much better performance from Kane. With a genuine partnership up front, you could see a confidence that we could score goals grow in the rest of the side. It remains to be seen how long Joel can stay fit, but if we can give Hemmings a decent strike partner I think he will score goals at this level.

Aside from a frantic first couple of minutes, we were the better side throughout and Doncaster's tactics were very strange. They played five at the back, sat deep and allowed us to control possession and grow in confidence, whereas in our current form you would have expected them to come to Prenton Park to have a go. However, credit to the players for taking full advantage of their poor display.

I thought everybody played well, but the two central midfielders and the centre halves were excellent. Cogley had assists for two of the goals, in addition to a goalline clearance near the end to preserve a clean sheet. It was also good to see Morris getting back close to his best.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Practically a complete performance today which leaves you wondering why we can’t play like that every week?!

All over the pitch we were excellent in particular the two centre halves, merrie and OConnor and cogley of course who got two assists. Morris and hawkes very good too with the latter putting in some great delivery. Cogley again showing why we need to keep him for as long as we can. Hemmings showed some goalscoring instincts by making the near post run to tap on the first. Morris with a great strike for the second and a great cogley cross headed in well by sub Lewis sealed the three points.
The lads really showed what they are capable of. Out of possession our shape was really good against Donny who wanted to play it out from the back and got frustrated with our organisation but kept losing it when they went long. Doohan was a spectator for most of the game.
On to barrow now. Special word for mumbongo who showed some real good touches and hold up play. Need to keep him fit