• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Chester

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The first of a couple of 'derby' matches within a few days. Believe it's over 2 decades since we last played Chester in a competitive fixture. I can remember us losing 2-4 to them many years ago. How much of a rivalry there is against them now, particularly amongst our younger supporters, more used to thinking the likes of notlob, Oldham, Wrexham as our main rivals, I'm unsure.

There has been scant information from the Rovers camp regarding fitness issues. It's not known if Mekki or Riley are available for selection, whether Jackson is fit enough to play a full match, or whether Blissett's absence last week was through injury or Brabin deciding he wasn't the answer to our target-man problem after all.

GBs post-match remarks after the Welling match to the effect that we'd played well were genuinely worrying if he believes them. My hope is that they were off the cuff, trying to deflect attention from the players and there is some realisation of the problems illustrated by last weekend's performance.

For team selection, I hope that we revert to a formation closer to that v Kidderminster. Norwood/Blissett up front with Mangan, Mekki or Jackson starting and Maynard given a more central role. It's crucial that we get off to a good start and if Jackson isn't capable of lasting the full 90, it may be better to pitch him in from the off.

Prediction: The crowd size will be interesting. Chester should bring around a thousand. It was mooted that this could be one of the games we might have a chance of overtaking Bristol Rovers record attendance for a Conference game. However recent poor form and quality of the football from Rovers makes that a forlorn prospect. Suppose the extent to which the rivalry still exists may be a factor bumping up the numbers, but while I'm expecting our biggest crowd of the sesaon, doubt that will be much over 6k at best.
The result could go one of two ways. If Brabin gets the side fired-up from the off and we don't resort to hoof ball, then every chance of getting a battling win or at least a draw from this match. Play some of the apathetic half-hearted dross served up recently and the visitors will take advantage. If Chester do get in front, they will be a tough proposition and the manager and players may come in for a fair amount of flak. I hope for the former, but, on balance, fear the latter a more likely outcome.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When I first started supporting Rovers we had derbies against Chester, Southport and Wrexham in the old Fourth Division. They were easily the most eagerly awaited and hardly fought games of the season and attracted huge crowds. It's sad that we are now all in the NL and most don't remember those days, but I hope we see a good match with a bit of edge in front of a decent crowd. I'd like to think that a bit of atmosphere might inspire this team to put on a good display. Having Sutton available after all could really make a difference. We need to turn the corner soon. Ever the optimist, I'm predicting a 2-0 win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Chester have started the season well with former rovers Ian Sharps captaining the side and Michael Kay normally warming the bench. Hard to believe that not much more than a couple of years ago rovers were flying high in L1 whilst Chester were in the Conference North. How times change.

I'm with Boz in that I'd like to see Blissett and Mangan given another go - the latter the best goal threat we have. However they'll need service and with Jacksons pace and assuming he is fit, he should start. I'll be disappointed if he is on the bench and if Mekki isnt fit, our only wide option is Ridehalgh because as we know, Maynard can't play there and it doesnt help Ihikwe either if he is at RB.

Hopefully Maynard now being joint top scorer on 2 with Mangan means he will play a central role with a focus on attacking. Where this leaves Jenno/Harris remains to be seen but expect both to start also given GBs insistence.

A win in a great atmosphere could really lift the fans and the side and set us up for Tuesday - however I fear given our recent form a nervy display and can't see us getting anything more than a point. Hope I'm wrong.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's important we get at them from the kick off something we haven't achieved often this season. Shake them up and hopefully we'll be leading at half time. Think the atmosphere will help.

Hope GB gets his team selection and tactics spot on and the players have the right attitude.

Really need a win here to give us a kickstart.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
My concern Ian is that we'll start well for about 5-10 mins and if we score then great. The problem I think has been we have only been able to sustain it for 5-10mins and after that we fade away...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be fair Sparky, that's been a problem for years now. By the time we start playing, the opposition have sussed us out and start gaining confidence. I think the real best chance we have of winning is to take the lead and try to keep it without sitting deep for 45 minutes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm saying 2-1 win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
we really need to get a win here and im going for 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think this is a massive game for Brabin and the squad. While only three points are at stake, a poor performance and a defeat on Saturday would give the manager's critics yet more ammunition and would put him under massive pressure. The Chester fans are well up for this game, which I still believe is bigger for them than us, but there is no doubt that a Rovers victory would give us a much needed morale boost.

Depending on the availability of players, I would start with a 3-5-2 with Jackson on the right and Mangan and Norwood up front. As others have said above, it is important we start positively and play with some freedom, something we have not seen too often this season.

Chester, by all accounts, have been in similar form to Rovers, grinding out results here and there while not playing particularly well. That said, they will be well motivated for this game and have a good manager in Steve Burr and I expect a very tough game.

Chetser expect to bring 1,500 - 2,000 fans and, as Boz comments above, it is a pity we are not in better form as we might have had a bumper home turnout on Saturday. As it stands, I would expect a gate of 6,000 - 6,500, but I hope that is an underestimate. While younger Rovers fans have never experienced derby matches before, I think the novelty factor of a League game against Chester will entice a few to PP.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
'The manager says that they'll approach the game as they do every other' - Hmm, lose 2-1 :D

Player
Goodison
Playing Chester in the non-league, what a depressing prospect - 3-0 to Chester, Brabin to once again demonstrate his stupidity.

If it was me I would play:

Davies

Mekki Sutton Hogan Ridehalgh

Dawson Harris Maynard Jackson

Norwood Mangan

(Attacking line up, but the 5 minutes after half time against Welling showed how crap they actually were, we need to start attacking teams and getting at them - like us, they are playing in non-league for a reason!)

M

Mal

Good grief. Can we please do a transfer of CrewE Supporters. They spend a lot less effort slagging off whoever plays for their team.

M

Mal

In fact , what do supporters expect for next to bugger all budget. We cannot even fund a few months' wages for Sterling, never mind a transfer fee.

Player
Manager
John King
In fact , what do supporters expect for next to bugger all budget. We cannot even fund a few months' wages for Sterling, never mind a transfer fee.

I don't agree with RTID's original comment, but I don't understand this post. We have the third highest budget in the National League and are in a relatively healthy position financially.

M

Mal

Sorry, too many beers, I meant that the budget is set for a lower quality level of player than it would be in league 1. I let my frustration with moaning on all the fan forums annoy me. That. With a few beers is a bad combination!!!!

Player
Manager
John King
A very good performance from Rovers, our best of the season, and a thoroughly deserved victory. The only disappointment is that we did not win by a wider margin with the number of chances we created. Chester were awful and offered little, but much of that is down to the way Rovers approached the game.

Tactically, I think Brabin got it right, starting with a truly balanced side for the first time this season. Maynard has been something of a sacred cow, but it was the right decision to play with two natural wide men and get at Chester early on. Today was one the few occasions this season where we have started brightly and got an early grip on the game.

I think the key to the victory was the number of 50-50 balls we won in the middle of the pitch and the quality and workrate of the front four. The strikers and two wide men caused Chester no end of problems, with Dawson making a major difference on the right.

There were good displays throughout the team but Norwood and Dawson were the pick of the bunch for me, with their movement and ability to receive the ball in tight areas. I think Norwood finally showed today why he is highly rated at this level: his all round display was excellent but he should really have a hat trick after three one-on-ones with the keeper.

My only criticism would be that we again let the game drift a bit in the second half, which a better side might have punished us for. That said, defensively we were excellent and looked untroubled virtually all game.

After today's display a few more might be tempted to travel to Southport on Tuesday. On to Haig Avenue.......

Player
Backayogo
Can't disagree with the above however it's almost as if there is an order that goes out saying "sit back lads". Really nervewracking, it seems to be every game. Well done anyway. A mention for Mekki as well, a very good pair of feet. He can only improve.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, certainly the best display this season. Always in control and I was really pleased with the effort put in. Chester were no better or worse than what we have faced this season and at last we gave a performance and deserved the three points. I also thought the balance looked good. Midfield were solid with Jennings and Harris having good games, Mekki whilst a little quiet in the first half was much better in the second and although not the quickest, has some good tricks up his sleeve. Dawson did well and will probably get better with more games in the side. I would like to see more of Jackson too who seems quite direct.

Hogan was excellent at the back and is one of our better signings, although they all played well at the back. Front two were excellent with Norwood really shining today and I really hope this is just a glimpse of what we can expect from him. His goal was excellent, he worked hard whilst tiring expectingly in the last 10 mins but really should have had a hattrick. If he gets fit and stays fit, he can provide us with some important goals.

Disappointed but not surprised we sat back a bit in the second half and invited pressure and had the peno gone in, who knows how the last 20 mins would have panned out.

We also didn't miss Ridehalgh or Maynard.

Lots of positives today and onto Southport for my first away game this season.

MOTM: Norwood with Hogan a close second.

Last edited: