• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Bolton

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Bolton

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Bolton
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, September 20, 2022 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Afolayan up next.
Scored, 1-2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hughes up next.
Scored, 2-2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Isgrove up next.
Saved, 2-2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McAlear up next.
Scored, 3-2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sadlier up next.
Scored, 3-3

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Merrie up next.
Scored, 4-3

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sheehan up next.
Scored 4-4.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A very good performance against a strong Bolton side. I was gutted for the players that we did not win in ninety minutes as we deserved to, but we showed good character to go on and win the shootout.

In the first half we were completely dominant and played some of our best passing football of the season. Inevitably, Bolton improved after the break and created chances, but we had numerous opportunities of our own. We had actually managed the last twenty minutes very well and Bolton's equaliser came very much out of the blue at that point.

I thought most players did very well, but Simeu and the midfield quartet were outstanding. Morris did what he always does, but Merrie had an excellent game with several penetrating forward passes and two assists, and Hughes looked very classy again, both in possession and breaking forward into the box. I thought MaClear also had his best game for a while.

We looked very comfortable on the ball all night, and I think Morris and Hughes were largely responsible for that, due to their composure in possession. There will hopefully be good competition for places in the midfield in the weeks ahead.

It is a tinpot competition, but tonight's game was very competitive and had a bit of needle, and it was good to see us playing with confidence and looking sharp and aggressive. Another step in the right direction.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased we got through and thanks for the report RLC.

How did Nevitt get on? A shame that he didn’t get on the scoresheet

Player
Manager
John King
Pleased we got through and thanks for the report RLC.

How did Nevitt get on? A shame that he didn’t get on the scoresheet
I thought he was quite disappointing. There were several excellent deliveries into the box form Bristow and Cogley, but he was not in the six yard box when he needed to be.

You can't fault his workrate and attitude, but if I am being brutally honest I think he is a bit of a weak link in terms of quality.

Player
Manager
John King
I also thought Lomax looked good when he came on. Definitely more David Silva than David Beresford. :)

The age of the side that finished the game must have been ridiculously low.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. I keep hearing people say it’s still early days for him as a professional - but we can’t afford people who aren’t contributing. He does work hard (as would any of us), but a striker needs to score goals

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks to Ian for the updates and RLC for the match report.

It sounds like there were a number of positives to take from that game, also seemed that Rovers had enough chances to have won the game outright. That is encouraging. I'm assuming Lewis was deployed as a striker? If so a little surprising that he didn't get any time in that role alongside our main striker, if Micky is considering using him in that role in the league games. Lomax one who's gone under the radar a little, but another wide option? May be useful if Hawkes' absence was injury/illness related rather than tactical.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What complete and utter bullshit from this Mon - he will play his favourite players and the rest can forget get it - C’mon Micky get real and talk honestly ffs !
So he's not playing any youngsters then, the average age of the team thus season has been low.

ADD

Player
Norwood
The issue with MM not playing youngsters is not the age of the players playing (he hasn't got 11 "old" players) but that surely surely given how little Nevitt has been doing recently and how Burton scored within 10 minutes of coming on against Colchester MM should have started Burton last night. He talked afterwards about how he is all for bringing on the youngsters and how well Jake did when he came on but why would he not start him? If he plays from the off and doesn't perform then fair enough but this competition is the perfect opportunity to do that but it wasn't taken. Baffles me TBH.
As to the game couldn't watch live so only read RLC's and others match reports and watched the extended highlights but great to see Morris back and looking like his old self. Merrie looked and sounded very influential and made a lovely classy set up for Lewis's goal. Will he get a run in the team now?
Good result although yes as RLC said disappointing we didn't win in normal time but noticeable how Hewelt went the right way for 4 of the 5 penalties and was unlucky not to save more than one - he looked solid in the game as well from the replay and reports I have read elsewhere and must surely be pushing for the starting berth.

Player
Manager
John King
Burton does not have the physical presence of Nevitt, or even Hemmings, so Mellon probably thinks he is not ready to play ninety minutes in a front two. He probably wanted to look at the alternative of playing Lewis off a striker, which worked well in the first half. However, he still brought Burton on and was happy to give him the responsibility of taking the final penalty.

Mellon can't play every youngster for ninety minutes of every game, but I am not sure how it can be argued he is not giving huge opportunities to young players this season. Hughes is another example of a player who has been promoted to the first team ahead of schedule and is performing very well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Lewis played one of his best games for us last night. Not sure if it was because he was playing a little further forward but more effective than I've seen him this season. Food for thought.