• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Bolton

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Bolton

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Bolton
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, September 20, 2022 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers are in action at home once again in the EFL Trophy on Tue night (ko 7pm) when they face old friends from Lancashire, Bolton in the EFL Trophy. This is the first round of games for Rovers in the mini group that also includes Leeds and Crewe. Bolton have already played against Crewe and beat them comfortably 4-1 in a one-sided affair.

Bolton are enjoying life in league one with five wins out of nine and sit fifth in the table. I'm sure they will be doing some squad rotation for this game and give some youth players playing experience. As for us, we don't have the luxury of squad rotation as such but I'm sure Micky will be wanting some of the fringe players to get some game time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A good chance to give some game time to the likes of Merrie Morris Hewelt Burton etc.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hope Burton gets the full 90 minutes. We’ve still only scored 9 goals in 9 league games I think. Nevitt wasn’t great yesterday and Hemmings could have done better on the stretch a couple of times. I’d give Lewis a game too

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How long is Mumbongo out for?

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
It's Bolton we need to win so I am going for 3-0 I hate them that much

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It would be nice to think that there is an out of contract striker out there who might be an upgrade on Nevitt but unlikely I suppose. No harm in giving Burton a run. Little downside and who knows!
I keep thinking there must be someone but perhaps they are waiting until January

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
should just bin him off god we do like having sicknotes don't we

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d guess we’ll stick with 442. Unsure whether Morris would be fit enough to start, while it will be interesting to see if Hockenhull is allowed a game in this competition. Starts for Hewelt Merrie and Burton, while Nevitt should also start so he can hopefully regain some form. A win would be nice, avoiding injuries too especially for the full-backs and forwards, where options are limited.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ideally, I think we would rest both Nevitt and Hemmings for this game given our shortage of strikers, but we could not put out a capable team without the pair of them.

I would imagine Morris will play forty five minutes, with Hewelt, Lewis, Merrie and Byrne getting game time among others. We are without O'Connor for the Walsall game due to international duty, but I am not convinced Micky will replace him in a like-for-like swap for Merrie due to events at Newport a few weeks ago.

It would be nice to beat Bolton, even in a game of little importance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ideally, I think we would rest both Nevitt and Hemmings for this game given our shortage of strikers, but we could not put out a capable team without the pair of them.

I would imagine Morris will play forty five minutes, with Hewelt, Lewis, Merrie and Byrne getting game time among others. We are without O'Connor for the Walsall game due to international duty, but I am not convinced Micky will replace him in a like-for-like swap for Merrie due to events at Newport a few weeks ago.

It would be nice to beat Bolton, even in a game of little importance.
Agree with your first and final paragraphs. I’d start Nevitt rather than Hemmings due to Elliot’s need for a confidence boost and Kane being one we need to keep wrapped in cotton wool for the league games ahead.

It’s Micky who sees Merrie as only capable of the defensive midfield role, so if our main defensive midfielder O’Connor is absent for the weekend, then he certainly needs a chance to play that role in this game. We’ll then be better-placed to see how best to replace him in the Walsall match. However, I would disagree with any suggestion that Merrie was the main cause of the Newport defeat.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agree with your first and final paragraphs. I’d start Nevitt rather than Hemmings due to Elliot’s need for a confidence boost and Kane being one we need to keep wrapped in cotton wool for the league games ahead.

It’s Micky who sees Merrie as only capable of the defensive midfield role, so if our main defensive midfielder O’Connor is absent for the weekend, then he certainly needs a chance to play that role in this game. We’ll then be better-placed to see how best to replace him in the Walsall match. However, I would disagree with any suggestion that Merrie was the main cause of the Newport defeat.
I was not really suggesting that Merrie was the main or only culprit at Newport, merely that Mellon clearly was not happy with his performance at Newport and hooked him at half time, so it is not a given that he will start at Walsall.

If Morris is available at the weekend it could make the selection interesting, given the performance of Hughes at Salford.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The problem with having a small squad is options are fairly limited for a defensive midfielder while O’Connor is on international duty. If you take Merrie out of the equation then either we do without one entirely, which is risky and isn’t going to happen, or find someone else to fill the role. McAlear or one of the central defenders might do it at a push ~think Turnbull has occasionally played in midfield. If that is Micky’s thought then we ought to be giving them some practice in this game.

Last edited:

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I hope burton plays and we rest Kane could also give Taylor a go I think that's his name the young forward we have hope morris gets some time to get him going think it will be another 20-30 mins for him and rovers to win 3-0

ADD

Player
Norwood
Suspect that Hewelt, Burton and Merrie will start.and maybe Turnbull rested so Hockenhull maybe also? Would also like to have seen Stratulis play as I think he is still training with us during the week but Connahs Quay play tonight unfortunately.
Result pretty immaterial in the greater scheme of things but a couple of goals and a decent result would be nice.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Slightly puzzled at this line-up. Is Nevitt a lone striker with Morris as a sort of 10 or Lewis playing second striker? I would like to have seen Burton start. We should be loaning Hockenhull out if he’s not getting a chance in games like these. Hawkes doesn’t make the bench, wonder is he injured.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Surprised Nevitt plays and Burton doesn't. Hockenhull can't get a start either...

Reactions: Boz