• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 4 Grecians 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A great performance today, with probably the best football we have produced all season. I thought Weir and Akins in particular were excellent, while the tweaking of the formation to 4-4-1-1 and the presence of Jennings and Robinson encouraged us to keep the ball on the ground, and not leave Enoch too isolated.

I hope we can learn from today's performance that if we play creative players and an attack minded formation at home that, at the very least, the standard of football at PP will improve. If it hadn't been for the injury to McChrystal I don't think Les would have started with today's team, but hopefully the quality of the performance will give him some food for thought for next season.

Looking at the individual performances today, I think we have the core of a decent side, but we need to play the kind of football that suits our creative players.

Akins' finishes were excellent and unexpected, but if he is offered a new contract I hope we also find a place for Adam, who again showed he has a great left foot with the cross for the fourth goal.

I was amazed at how poor Exeter were, given how crucial the game was for them, but I think the tigerish performances of Welsh and Weir in the middle didn't allow them to settle into their passing rythym.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
a thoroughly deserved win and good to see us pass the ball around well and be positive from the start some really good performances today and agree that welsh and weir in the middle played very well

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Renewed my season ticket before the game, more for reasons of economy than enthusiasm for the recent quality of football. I certainly wasn't expecting a performance of this calibre.

Rovers started brightly, a number of chances, but things didn't quite fall for us and as half-time approached, started to wonder if it was going to be one of those days. An excellent strike from Michael Kay, eased that worry.

Second half, Exeter pressed up more and Rovers didn't seem to be having quite so much of things. A brilliant lob from a tight angle by Lucas Akins eased the nerves, nice touch to go and celebrate with Les, who's shown a lot of faith in him. Goals for Enoch (who looked to have picked up a bad injury at the end) and another Akins header, saw out a comfortable win for the Rovers.

I would agree with RLC, that Exeter were disappointing given they had a play-off slot to go for. Their keeper was decidedly dodgy. However, the way that Rovers played forced them onto the back-foot. Credit to Andy Robinson, who was pulling the strings and giving a lot of guidance and encouragement to the younger lads. Please can we have more of the same...

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Superb result, after a superb performance.

Ash Taylor headed away everything at the back, Goodison had a couple of shaky moments in the first half but settled down thanks to the performances of those around him and by the second half looked better. Cresswell and Kay pushed on well and their driving on helped to keep Exeter on the back foot.

but this game was won in the midfield. The threesome of Welsh, Weir and Robinson (in his best performance in a Tranmere shirt) were immense, hunting in packs and chasing down everything, intercepting and keeping us ticking over.

Up front Enoch did well, as did Jennings and Akins. Jenno linked well with Cressa and Akins didn't sit out on the touchline looking disinterested as he has in the past. Front to back this was a great team performance. I think the midfield was the key, because we went after second balls and they couldn't handle us.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Agree with most of the above. Wouldn't call it a 4-4-1-1 though.

Anyone notice how high up the pitch Jenno and Akins stayed today? Key point most people are missing was the significance of our front 3 versus their back 5. Typically versus a 4-4-2 our widemen will have a noteable defensive responsability (doubling up on wide midfielders when we don't have posession) however Akins and Jenno were today free of that burden and subsequently able to play right off the shoulder of the two Bournemouth full-backs, nullifying their ability to get forward. The relative pace of our frontline forced Bournemouth to defend quite deep and while this largely stifled Jenno and Akins first half (both were more effective when coming inside), it allowed Welsh and Weir the time and space they needed to control the tempo of the game further back (Exeter's deep defensive positioning left them with a lot of ground to cover in-front if they were going to press off the ball, nor did their midfield look the "pressing" type). None of Exeter's midfield trio took responsibility for Robbo who found an abundance of space between the lines and was especially influential in the first half.

Second half they played a higher line as they chased the game but changed to a 4-4-2 way too late (should have made this change about half an hour in at the latest). Although Robbo tired quite quickly there was more space in behind for our front 3 to exploit and we ended up nicking a few more goals. Ash was great at the back and we were good value for our victory.

Exeter shot themselves in the foot, but it was a very good team performence nonetheless.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah our best performance of the season some might say.

Exeter had won 5 on the bounce and chasing the play offs. Credit to our lads (and Les) for overpowering them and really dominating the whole game.

I was praying we got a penalty towards the end so Akins could get a hat trick ! Robbo was class plus Dale looked in good shape. McGurk again looked good plus a great finish from Enoch. What can I say about Akins except about time ! Great finish for the first.

Now Les will be busy sorting the contracts - like others have said, we have a nucleus of a decent side - one I think more than capable of having a good season next one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, all of a sudden we have a 'nucleus' of a good side. Not sure we should get too carried away. It was a decent performance against a poor side, very unexpected.

Akins played a good game, finally! Two good goals and isn't it amazing what can be achieved when you play the ball on the floor.

Jennings and Robinson were both excellent and really made a difference to our play and performance.

And we're safe! [-o<
Roll on next season :-#

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
It just makes me wonder if we had played a proper team from January until the end of the season with players in their correct positions and actually attacking how much better we would have done.

Player
Liam Palmer
Biggest win since Wrecsam away in Brian Little's play-off season?

Superb from start to finish. Every one of them. Haven't enjoyed a game at PP so much in ages. For once I wasn't praying for the final whistle.

Exeter weren't poor. They were the form team in the division and we destroyed them.

I don't want to make any wider points about the manager/team/squad except to say that we can see from that just how capable this lot can be. It's just a pity that we've seen so little of it at home this season.

Player
Liam Palmer
Crossed wires. Just didn't want Exeter, a team in form and capable of playing good football, to be lumped in with Notts County, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, Hartlepool and the other atrocious teams who have visited PP this season - none of whom we destroyed.