• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 4-3 Stockport (on pens)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We're on our way to Wembley!

I didnt make it so will be interesting to hear any reports but official report sounds like we only got going with about 20mins ago. A bit worrying considering the opposition but I'm not that bothered as Saturday is the priority.

Morrow in for Enoch and Zoom in for Cressa - predictable changes but doesnt sound like Morrow did anything.

Nice to win on pens for a change tho - was the last time the Zenith Data I wonder ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't there either. The BBC stats have Rovers with only 30% of possession and 2 shots on target and I think Morrow's first mention was in injury time. Sammy did get one of the penalties, so did have some influence on the result. While Sparky is right and Saturday is more crucial, being given the run-around by a mid-table L2 team is a concern.

Think you're right about last penalty win, v Newcastle, if memory serves

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, the official site have confirmed the last penalty win was in the Zenith in 1991 !

We have finally won two games in a row now (kind of) but unfortunately we didn't produce two performances in a row. For an hour we were awful, and it was only the change to 4-4-2 that sparked us in to life. It worries me that we made the same old naive tactical errors tonight against a team that had we started with the right formation, we could have beaten quite easily.

At least give credit to Les for changing things eventually, and in the last 25 minutes we were excellent, with Moore and Jennings linking up really well and Fraughan doing well down the left.

As has been suggested Morrow was worse than terrible, but at least give him and Wootton credit for steping up to put away the pens.

Tonight

Yeah, no spark or creativity tonight, I think we were missing McLaren!:whistle:

Dale was inventive whenever possible and good to see Wootton's last touch for us (for now) was a successful one!=D>

There was a muted celebration following County's last penalty, I think we were all still trying to do the maths!!:roll:

drwhoman

ROVERS V STOCKPORT

I remember the Newcastle game. Ossie Ardiles was managing them at the time although he did not last long. Played in a howling gale if I recall correctly. Punts from the goalies were landing the opposed penalty areas no problem! Shame they have lost Wootton but Broomes cannot be far away. Looks as if they missed Showaddawady tonight. They need him for Saturday if they are to have a chance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
we won a game on penalties!!!!!!
It's a rare event, indeed.

Listened to the game on Tranmere World. It's sounded grim, but at least we came through at the end.

Off to Bury in next round. Everyone to pile into Coops' for pre-match drinks?! Coops.. ?? :whistle:

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
doesnt sound like Morrow did anything.

Sam Morrow is a dreadful player so thats no surprise

Nice to see them get two wins on the trot but I wonder how big an impact playing 120 mins will have on Saturdays performance

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
we didnt play 120 minutes rob it went straight to penalties after the 90 minutes

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A bit puzzled why Les didn't replace Morrow with Akins when we went 442, assuming we were trying to win it in the 90. Maybe he thought that Sammy a better bet than Lucas when it came to penalties.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
we didnt play 120 minutes rob it went straight to penalties after the 90 minutes

How bizarre, I was following the commentaty on the FPL phone app and it listed extra time.

My point about Morrow still stands though :twisted:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Ok so slightly late with my view of things but what the hey.

My first 90 in quite a while due to other committments, and although it was far from a classic, I still enjoyed being back. First half there was a lot of punting it aimlesslessly by both sides, was definitely a league two quality of game. The only bright sparks came from Jennings and Moore who both kept trying to get us onto the front foot... but with Moore as the one up top, whenever he went deep or wide to create something, there was nobody further forward for him to play it to. Showumni a big miss from the side when he's not there.

I hope Morrow paid for a ticket. Total spectator. Seemed to have no idea what to do wide right of a front three, just didn't get involved at all. Was like we were playing with 10 men for most of the match. I hope Les gives him a rocket up the backside after such a soul-less performance.

Stockport didn't look like breaking us down at all, Blanchard did a fantastic job in front of the back four, such an important position is the defensive midfielder. We looked shakier in the second half when he was moved to full back and Stockport did then start to create, but they didn't have enough quality to make us pay, so the decision to switch formation was a correct one in the circumstances.

Darville just isn't good enough, and Morrow too. Labadie had a very poor game by his standards, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had been subbed off. We aren't good enough to carry sub-standard players but then again we haven't got any money to hire anybody better!! So Les is doing a decent job with the cards that he's been dealt I think.

Huge respect to Ian Moore, stepping up for what I think is the toughest of all penalties, the first one for your team after the opposition have taken first and scored. Miss that and straight away it's a mountain to climb, but he slotted it away as he always does.