• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Shrimps (3)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Morecambe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Shrimps (3)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, February 13, 2024 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ged Brannan's Morecambe up next at Prenton Park. Despite having only a handful of contracted players at the start of the summer, Derek Adams was able to build a decent squad including the loan of Micky's son to help them to a decent start to the season. Despite both their manager and Mellon junior having decamped to north of the border, their replacements, the ex-Rovers midfielder/left-back and loanee striker Ged Garner from Barrow have done fairly well. The side that were tipped for a double relegation are currently safely in mid-table with talk of the play-offs amongst their fans.

I don't think this will be an easy game and the pressure is back on Rovers a bit after the weekend defeat and the visiting league leaders coming up next. If we have the same players available as for Saturday, I'm unsure Adkins would make many changes. There may be some enforced switches to the line-up depending on how fit those with knocks at Doncaster are, but otherwise one of possibly Saunders for Jolley or Hawkes for Morris.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up sees Ged Brennan bring his morecambe side to Prenton park. He got the job after Derek Adams upped for a third stint in charge at Ross county which didn’t last long. Geds reign so far has been mixed and the loss of top scorer Michael Mellon hasn’t helped. The shrimps sit in 12th position but only four points off the plays offs and with a game in hand on most sides. They have won their last two away games at MK Dons and Crawley so they’ll be no pushovers. However after our defeat at Donny and with the leaders Stockport visiting on Saturday we could do with picking up a win in this one.
Whilst I don’t think we’ll go up or down we want to finish the season as strongly as we can to give us some hope for next season. Loanee Ged Garner is one to watch with 3 goals in his last 2 games.

As for rovers I’ll be surprised if Nigel doesn’t freshen things up. Dennis or Saunders in for Jolley perhaps with Hawkes for Morris. I also wonder if McAlear may be given a start in the middle.

Prediction: a draw for me.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We should look to make a few changes bit I'm not sure it will happen, think it will be a draw 1 1.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can't see any changes but we need players to step up and we need to start winning again. Apter has been fairly quiet since his return after Xmas, Hawkes should be pushing for a place after his goal on Saturday. It wont be an easy game so I'm going for a draw.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I don't get the calls for changes, the first team bar up front is about as good as this squad gets. The keeper and centre halves are now consistent as all around them is no longer in chaos. Left back is now a dubious level as opposed to chaotic. LOC made a gaffe leading directly to a goal and defeat, but for the first time in living memory. The midfield unit is well above average. Without Norris reappearing, it is just a case shuffling the deck chairs, Jennings does a job regardless but the rest are a mixture of odd pegs for round holes.
Calls for Hawkes to go up front are a nonsense, he gets lost in the simple role of working back on a flank, can't head the ball and would defend not the ball with opponents on both sides of him. He can beat a man, cross with his outside foot which comes to nothing as we have no spearhead, but of course can hit a shot from the edge of the box. Lewis carries water and is ok if we want to close a win out, McAlear follows his instructions well and is preferred. Young Norris might be a signing, he isn't going to trouble the top drawers, but his right back cameos are puzzling. I can only speculate it is a ploy to straighten the opponents midfield to centre and open room for Apter? Whoever goes on for the unconvincing striker lost out in the selection in the first place. The others are injury cover only.
We haven't lost a match recently without an argument for some sort of a result, ie we are competitive. If we lose out on the rub this week doubtless calls for Nigel will appear by Saturday night.
In late summer the current situation seemed unlikely, the big issue is what will Nigel's recruitment be like. Unlike Mellon I doubt he will sign big targets and drop them out of sight within weeks. From the first team only LOC seems to be a loss in waiting, Nigel may also jettison some he has been playing.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d suggest there are issues with tiredness, Jennings and Morris in particular yet Connor never gets subbed. I wouldn’t say that Rovers have been playing that well in recent fixtures, so it’s not the same as changing a winning team. Is there a risk of complacency if the starting xi aren’t performing well* yet the same players keep getting. picked?
*I don’t think collectively we’ve been playing badly but not near the quality of the December run.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is just the deficencies in the squad being exposed over an extended period.

There are some areas where we could freshen things up, for example bringing Hawkes back into the side, but in other areas there is not great quality beyond the first eleven.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The visitors will have plans for Apter who is Ged Brannans godson

Last edited:
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Going for a home win, don't know why, just a feeling!
It does need a refresh, but as for who, it don't matter, as long as they perform.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McAlear for walker and Saunders for Jolley.

Hawkes still on the bench. Ridiculous. Nigel should be rewarding him for what he did on Saturday. Morris has been quiet for a few games now. Could understand perhaps if away at Stockport but at home he should be starting

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Feel a bit there for Hawkes but pleased Jolley is benched.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with Sparky that Hawkes should have been given an opportunity after his goal cameo at Doncaster.
Presume Walker is injured. There are certain circumstances in which that bench might be tested with Norris providing both central midfield and full-back cover.
While a draw the most likely outcome, now feeling that the Shrimps are more likely to edge the win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Saunders pace again causes problems and wins us a penalty