• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 2 Reds Reserves 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Having seen tonight's game, I am much more confident than I was a couple of weeks ago. The performance was a big improvement on the previous match I saw (Prestatyn), and the majority of the confirmed / likely new signings looked decent.

Buchanan had a decent game at left back, and also did well on the left side of midfield in the second half: took his goal well, and appears to have a decent delivery from set pieces. Perhaps playing him ahead of Bakayogo on the left side in the second half, shows that Les is considering sitching to 4-4-2, at least against certain opposiion ?

Tiriyaki looks a decent player, strong and reasonably quick, and might be worth taking a chance on. Although he got on the scoresheet, I wasn't completely convinced by him in front of goal, but he did link the play fairly well.

Devaney was anonymous, although I won't judge him on 45 minutes, and he does have a decent pedigree.

The trialist in midfield from MK Dons also looked a decent player, strong in the tackle and with a good touch, but I am not sure we need another central midfielder.

Most importantly, we looked to pass the ball more than last season, and this has been a feature of all the games I have seen so far. We had a decent shape and looked well organised, and although it is difficult to read too much into pre-season matches, we look in much better shape than in the last two seasons.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didnt go but all the reports etc are highly positive. Although Liverpool played their reserves there were still some decent players our their and the lads did well.

Enoch is now doubtful for Saturday so Les is gonna have to make a decision on Mustafa. Probably worth a cheeky one year deal as am sure he won't cost much in wages.

Devaney apaprently isnt fit so he'll take time but that aside, sounds like Les and the lads are confident abotu Saturday.

Rockford makes a good point about the left side. I used to want Les to both Zoom and Cressa on the left in a 4-4-2, but he rarely did it - so I will be surprised if he does it but Buchanan sounds promising.