• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Peterborough 2

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I guess that those of you who went were too devastated by the 94th minute equaliser and subsequent loss aet to feel up to posting? I'm seriously starting to dislike Peterborough, 3rd time in 6 years they've dumped us out of the Cup. The match stats suggest that they deserved the win, more efforts on goal and hitting the woodwork 3x. The 4-5-1 we apparently played again doesn't seem to stifle the opposition enough and after riding our luck v Leeds, sounds like it ran out last night.

Player
Liam Palmer
Oh dear, what a disaster that was. I'd like to know how much time was left on the clock when Shuker missed that 1-on-1. It seemed like game over and yet seconds later the ball was back in our box. It was a really scrappy goal, we failed to close them down and although it was a cute finish by the boy, the ball was travelling at about 2mph when it wrongfooted Coyne. Can't believe it, although I think Posh deserved it. I didn't hold out much hope for us in extra time and I was right.

Pretty gutted really. To go out to the same team three times in four years (04, 06, 08) by the same score is weird. We probably won't draw them now for another 50 years. And we've blown a chance to play a Premier League team, a good day out, and a reasonable chance to cause an upset.

Hope we can pick ourselves up now. It's really important to take something from Bristol, to avoid falling behind again in the play-off race.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess that those of you who went were too devastated by the 94th minute equaliser and subsequent loss aet to feel up to posting?

Too right Boz. I went straight to bed when I got in. I was cold and bloody annoyed.

after riding our luck v Leeds, sounds like it ran out last night.
Again, spot on. As soon as we scored, we sat back, far too deep. Allowed Peterborough to come at us and spent the next 40 mins defending a 1-0 lead at home. Exactly the same happened against Leeds, but like you say, we managed to survive.

Ronnie needs to sort that out. It was no surprise they equalized and then went on to win the game. The numerous shots against the post and woodwork should have been a wake up call.

I disagree with Ronnie saying a draw was the deserved result. Peterborough with their 30 shots in total were the more productive team and were probably wondering what they had to do to score in that second half.

Why sit back and try defending a slim 1-0 lead? Attack again and try and make it 2-0.

Without being too critical, Shuker was unlucky also, with one effort that hit the crossbar and the other when he took it wide from the keeper who just managed to get a finger to the shot.

One of my main gripes was the fact that we kept giving the ball away. We just cannot keep the ball.

Ahh well, there's always this to keep us going. Thanks Ronnie!

"Getting through to the third round and a game at West Brom would have given us a lift financially but we are still in the Northern semi-final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy"
:roll:

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Thank god we are out of that Micky Mouse cup!!!! Now we can focus on the one everyone wants to win the JPT. Wembley here we come!!!![-o<

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Couldn't bring myself to post till just now, what, 24 hours after the game. Not through frustration (I thought it was a fair result) nor through dissapointment (I thought we played relativley well), but more through having to sit there for thirty minutes in the freezing cold after being so close, knowing that we were inevitabley going to lose in extra time.

The 4-5-1 debate has kinda took a new twist now, I think. We certainly looked a lot better going forward, Jennings continuing to attempt to support from midfield and we played some very impressive stuff in the first half - Posh showed us a lot of respect, and us them, and it was a nice, if rather plain, game of football.

As expected given the scoreline, Posh came out second half with a lot more intent and when they upped the pace we struggled to slow it down. Indeed, when they attacked we had a go on the counter, and were unlucky - though not quite as unlucky as they were - not to find the net for the second time. It obviously would have been of benefit to us to slow the game down in the second half and keep the ball, but Posh are a very intense team when they go into all-out attack mode and there's only so much you can realistically expect of our lads. Edds' trademark non-contribution left us a man short when Jenno pushed up the pitch; Kay did a very good job in shielding the back 4, as did Sonko and Moore, but it wasn't enough on the night. Who knows, with Kay and Jenno holding, and Barnett playing the supporting role, perhaps we might have been more resiliant...

Particular credit to Goodison, Savage and Kay who were excellent throughout. Antwi looked a little suspect at the back as expected, but on the whole he actually put in a rather good performance I think, characterised by some strong challenges and a willingness to play the ball along the deck.

I value the point we aquired in the league at their place higher than I would have done a victory in the cup. Onwards and upwards, I think we've had a very positive few weeks.

Player
Goodison
In the end we lost because Ronnie failed to counter the threat of Boyd as he took up a more central role in the second half and tore us to shreads. Antwi wasn't very good and I hope he doesn't play again - i'm not trying to make a scapegoat but he's just not good enough, as for the others, Goodison and Kay played well.