• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Leeds 4

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Back down to earth with a bang.

Rovers had a chance to take the lead with a shot from the edge of the box by Curran, parried back to Sordell by their keeper, but Marvin made no contact. A few minutes later, the ref who was poor gave a sequence of dodgy free-kicks in Leeds favour and they took the lead. McLaren conceded a penalty, clinically converted. Tranmere got themselves back into the game with a shot from the edge of the area by Welsh, but then a combination of McLaren giving away the ball in a dangerous area and Goodi slipping, led to Leeds 3rd. Good spell at the end of the half and with Bas coming on at the start of the 2nd, there seemed to be a good claim for a penalty for handball turned down. Instead a defensive howler from Broomes resulted in Beckford lobbing Luke for their fourth.

Leeds looked a good side, but we both gifted them goals and didn't really test their defence. Too many players were off form tonight only Zoum, Welsh, ITM and Curran of the starters were near to their norm. Bas and Mahon made a difference when they came on. In particular as one wag said Chris McCready must be really sh*t if Broomes is better than him.

Oldham won and I can't see us getting anything at Bristol Rovers, so probably back in the drop zone again this weekend. #-o

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
we cant be in the relegation zone after saturday as we are 4 points off it,we will lose to bristol but hopefully exeter will draw with southend.

a very poor performance were was the fight and effort from southampton, sadly it was missing. mclaren was yet again very poor gave away a penalty and gave the ball away for the 3rd goal, all in all a very disappointing night.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
a very poor performance were was the fight and effort from southampton, sadly it was missing. mclaren was yet again very poor gave away a penalty and gave the ball away for the 3rd goal, all in all a very disappointing night.

This sums up why we are where we are, we are inconsistent and unable to raise our game week in week out.

Skim over last nights game it was shambolic to be honest, move on to Bristol and lets hope we can bounce back.

Player
Liam Palmer
Very disappointing for a larger-than-average Rovers following, but hardly surprising. Leeds are a good side, they've beaten Man Utd at Old Trafford this year, remember.

We gifted them three goals by half-time and that was that.

At least it wasn't a complete car crash: I thought they might go on and score a couple more, which would have been bad for morale.

Positives? Not many, but here goes: we won't play Leeds every week; no-one got injured; no-one got booked or sent off (a miracle given the way the game went); Bas and Mahon got time on the pitch and Logan.

We are what we are and we are where we are. We'll just have to roll our sleeves up and get on with it. Finishing fifth-bottom and avoiding relegation with thios squad will be as big an achievement as finishing 7th last season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Edds anonymous, Mclaren appauling, Broomes outclassed. Everyone else did alright. Zoom, Welsh and ITM had particularly good games, and Curran was good; agree with Boz there. Daniels also made some good saves.

First 20 minutes were really exciting. Individual errors cost us. Going in 2-1 at half-time would have kept us in with a great shout - someone tell Paul Mclaren that he doesn't have an infinate amount of time to control the ball, flick his hair and take a 5 stride run up before knocking a trademark sideways pass. What I will say though, is that he didn't hide away from the game. Gareth Edds, you are pathetic.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was disappointing but Leeds were the better side. We made it easier for them at times. Didn't look like a penalty to me but it wouldn't have mattered to the end result.

We gifted them the third with McLaren pissing about in the middle of the park. He's far too slow to be taken seriously, and the fourth was a great finish but again highlighted the fact that we have no pace in defence. Goodison and Broomes cannot compete against the likes of Beckford, just too fast who simply ran through them off a long ball.

Made it look too easy at times, but the difference in quality was easy to see. I'm getting more and more frustrated with Rovers at times. We spent half of the game simply booting the ball upfield. Giving the ball away, losing possession for Leeds to move forward again.

Why do we do this? I know we are lacking quality in the side, but surely these players know how to pass. They would play a much better game if they could only learn to pass it on the floor at times. The ball was on the floor more when Mahon came on who can actually pass a ball, and finally managed a shot on goal late in the second half.

I'm actually starting to feel a bit sorry for Curran too who constantly chases loose/lost balls down the field. Cannot knock his work rate though, it's first class.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They had 5 shots on targer and scored 4 goals so i dont think daniels made many good saves.

The lack of battling qualities and effort for me was really annoyiny, i fully expected leeds to win but i thought we would at least put up a bit of resistance instead of the poor effort especially from the defence and mclaren.

Surely mahon or barnett have got to be given a go ahead of mclaren now as he is just a waste of a shirt. The sooner ash is back in the side the better.

Player
Dave Challinor
?????????????

Hello i'm new.

Just thought i would throw my 2p's worth in. What is going on with Les' subs? Edds had a stinker but still got 70mins (now i like Gareth) but he had a mare should have come of at half time. Shay for Luke O? Mahon given 20 mins when we are 4-1 down?

Nice to see Bas back but he likes to float about, nice touches, beat people so needs a partner (Marvin!) and the 2 of them would give beef to the forward line?

Les should have gone to 4-4-2 in the second half (i know we were losing but he could at least get us a goal so i didn't have to sit there frezzing), give Barnett a go, use Cresswell + Zooma on the left, use Mahon as a playmaker instead of McLaren something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway still 36 points to play for so COME ON :-D

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Welcome to the forums, lid.

In fairness to Les, any half time substitution is a bold move and I was pleased to see Savage. Mahon was the right move, if a little late. And we need to get Logan match-sharp in anticipation of the departure of O'Neill - game was lost at that point anyway. Disagree with you that Sordell should start ahead of ITM or Curran, but the Cresswell/Zouma comibation down the left is something myself and one or two others on here have mentioned before; obviously not in a 4-3-3, but I think it could work. Mahon + Barnett over Mclaren + Edds anyday.

They had 5 shots on targer and scored 4 goals so i dont think daniels made many good saves.

I saw him make 2; you don't have to believe me though. He was also very good coming for crosses and distribution was decent. Don't even try to blame him for any of those goals.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I felt that the effort and workrate shown by McLaren and Edds and Welsh in the Southampton game made them the stand out players. They stepped up to high gear and delivered the goods.

Now I know this team under Les is one of the fittest we've seen in a while, and would have been fitter still had pre-season been less of an utter shambles (thanks again B&rnes you ****), but that said..

Both McLaren and Edds looked jaded, off the pace, just not really with it in the Leeds game. In fact they were perhaps the stand out WORST players on the day. Perhaps the problem with sticking with players, the manager showing loyalty to players who do their bit... is that if they've given it ALL on a Saturday, another match Tuesday isn't enough time to recover?

. Mahon + Barnett over Mclaren + Edds anyday.

You've given me something to disagree with there.

Early in the season McLaren was a weak link, we had a lot of weak links, he was bad. But lately his form has peaked and he's been doing well for us a couple of games he's been our best player, which is something I didn't think I'd say. He was really poor against Leeds, but as someone else pointed out we only have to play them once!

The physical presence of Edds in the middle cannot be under-estimated and I think strength coupled with workrate makes a strong case for selection.

I like both Mahon and Barnett as players, but I don't think in our current setup you could take both at the expense of central midfielders.

It's probably about time that Mahon was chosen ahead of McLaren and given a chance. If he doesn't deliver then McLaren would be ready and able to step back in. But I would keep Edds and Welsh in there with Mahon, to keep the defensive strength and shape.

If Barnett is to get a game it would have to be at the expense of Curran, who Les picks every game, and I think Shuker would be further up the pecking order there anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few thoughts on the points that have been raised since my initial post.

Daniels did ok, but there was only 1 stand-out save near point blank from Beresford or Kandol when we were 1-4 down. I've not seen the goals again, but wonder if he could have done more with the first goal that went in straight from the free-kick?

I agree with NBDH that McLaren has had three decent games on the trot for us, though wouldn't go quite as far as to say he was our best player in any of them. However he was poor last night, although not quite as bad as Broomes. My preference would be for Barnett to come in for McLaren/Edds in away games and Mahon to be used in home games. I just don't feel Alan contributes enough defensively to be suited to games where our backs are to the wall. Barnett would struggle to fill the Craig Curran role, he lacks the stamina, but is not afraid to get stuck in and would give some set-piece options.

Marvin did nothing last night. I don't think Bas is ready for a full 90, but would start him on Saturday and take him off around the 60, when Sordell's pace and trickery may have an impact.