• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Iron 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An open, entertaining game and a fair result. While I would have liked a victory to end the season, to finish twelfth is a great achievement considering how low we sank in mid season.

I thought we generally played pretty well, although we missed Wallace's presence in midfield. While Max was good on the ball, I don't think he was as effective in shielding the back four, and their midfielders were able to run unopposed at our centre backs far too often. Just shows how important JW is to us and hopefully we will be able to bring him back next season.

Elsewhere, I thought the front two held the ball well and worked hard, but Tiryaki spent far too little time in the 18 yard box, which is probably the reason why RM has decided to release him. Devaney and Robinson both had good games and Jake Kirby looked lively when he came on: it is surprising that the reseves regulars hadn't really drawn attention to him before Ronnie decided to offer him a deal. Fon Williams had a really good game and effectively earned us the point with three or four fine saves.

I don't think there are any major surprises in the released list, with the forward line and midfield set to be substantially re-shaped in the summer. Roll on 2012-13.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with a lot of the above from RLC. I thought Rovers were a bit lucky taking a point. Our goal came against the run of play, following some fine saves from OFW at the other end. Good header from McChrystal from a corner, although Mark went off injured shortly thereafter, leading to Danny Holmes in the centre and Weir at right-back. Scunthorpe eventually forced an equaliser and then clipped the bar.

I didn't think Devaney played that well, making some poor decisions and rarely crossing the ball. Given he's likely to be a high-earner, not worth another deal. Welsh put in one great cross from the left, can't recall many others in the game. Kirby did look promising in his cameo, though I was surprised Cassidy was the one to make way.

MoM, for once the sponsors got it right; OFW by a yard.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Blimey it was freezing, never been that cold at the last game of the season before. Thought a draw was a fair result, and agreed that OFW played well, 2 saves in particular in the 1st half stood out.

I actually thought Devaney was pretty dire, his performance summed up by that dreadful corner in the last minute. To me he has a few skills but tends to dance around like Bambi on ice, his running style is really weird. Power did ok, but we did miss Wallace.

Going to be interesting to see how Ronnie shapes up the squad in the summer. After aiming for the magical 50 mark all season , it turns out that 44 points would have been enough - I don't think we would have made that under Les.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
I do wonder if we would have won any more under les, goes to show he was the problem at the end, i think the self-fulfilling prophecy that we would lose before we started a game didnt help...

M

Mal

At beginning of season, I bet on Tranmere finishing 12th. Whoop-de-doo

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do wonder if we would have won any more under les, goes to show he was the problem at the end, i think the self-fulfilling prophecy that we would lose before we started a game didnt help...
If you go into a game playing for a draw, 9/10 times you will either draw or lose. Suicide IMO.

Well, that was a typical end of season affair. Didn't think it was very exciting, but it was nice to see some of the young lads given a run. Power did quite well and Kirby looked lively when he came on.

Not sure if it's a good thing when your keeper gets MOTM, but he did make some excellent saves.

Roll on next season!!
Enjoy the summer everyone. Full of sporting events to enjoy and before we know it, the season will be kicking off again.

SWA!!

Player
Liam Palmer
An appropriately low key end to a mediocre season, one dominated by 1-1 draws and 2-1 defeats.

Hardly saw a good game all season - some of our best performances were in games we didn't actually win: Charlton, Huddersfield, Preston and Sheff U away, Huddersfield at home. Probably the stand out game was the win at Brentford.

It should be a slightly easier division next season, minus Charlton, Owls and hopefully the Blades. The side coming down will have much to worry about - Donny are similar club to us, Coventry haven't finished top six since 1966 and Pompey could do a Plymouth. Of the sides coming up, Swindon will be a handful, other than that, not worried.

Only down side is more long away trips to the south which doesn't seem to suit us.

Have a good summer, see you in 12/13.