• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Cumbrians 2

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Akins was good. He put some good balls into the box, beat his man a few times, played one very composed through ball through first half , generally retained possession intelligently and scored a goal. He was direct and looks to have a spring in his step. Playing on the wing is hard, especially if you aren't a winger, which he isn't.

Labadie doesn't do enough for me, Ian - have to agree with everyone else on that point. Doesn't do enough to affect play when we're in possession of the ball. He's far from a liability, and people sometimes seem to forget that he only turned 20 this summer, but he could give so much more than he does, imo. Frustratingly talented footballer with a bad attitude and who has some bad habits in terms of sportsmanship.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the reality is that Joss just isn't that great in possession of the ball. Robinson, Weir and even Power are all more cultured and creative(incidentally I thought Max was very unlucky to lose his place last night), and Joss's biggest strengths are probably his shooting ability and general physical presence, hence his effectiveness as an impact player arriving for the last thirty minutes of games, and his difficulty in providing the kind of consistency we need over ninety minutes in the middle.

Agree about Akins, who has been much improved in recent matches, and should be given some credit where it is due.

Player
Goodison
I'm tempted to get a Twitter account just so I can tell Labadie to stop being such a prat with his continious diving - it really is awful. He gets in good positions then falls over, like yesterday when he got booked.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Akins and McGurk linked up quite well at the end of last season and I'd prefer to go down that route rather than pinning too much hope on Tiryaki, who for me hasn't shown enough when played up front.

Looking at the match stats, we didn't seem to be getting many crosses in from the left compared to deliveries from Raven and Akins on the right. While Zoum isn't a great crosser of the ball, he can mix things up a bit with his mazy runs and it might have been worth bringing him on.

Any idea why Max Power was dropped after an apparently decent debut?

Their first goal was a howler as far as Rovers defending was concerned.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I was thinking that you could play Zoom at LB with Buchanen on the left side of midfield.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
DIW - I get a bit pissed off with all them muppets in the Kop - yes they sing but the sarcastic cheers towards one of our own players was band out of order.

I am at the lower part of the kop and if I am freezing like I was on Tuesday, I cannot be bothered standing up to show I love the whites and sing that I hate scousers.

Every season I think about going to sit in the Johnny King and end up in the Kop with the muppets above me

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Join us in the JK, Sparky. It's good.

1. Looking at the match stats, we didn't seem to be getting many crosses in from the left compared to deliveries from Raven and Akins on the right. While Zoum isn't a great crosser of the ball, he can mix things up a bit with his mazy runs and it might have been worth bringing him on.

2. Any idea why Max Power was dropped after an apparently decent debut?

3. Their first goal was a howler as far as Rovers defending was concerned.

1. Good analysis, although Zoum is pretty terrible on the left wing.
2. I think Joss is seen as being the more attacking option; if so, he didn't prove it on Tuesday.
3. Yep, uncharacteristically.

I was thinking that you could play Zoom at LB with Buchanen on the left side of midfield.

I wouldn't mind this, but am quite content with the way we are currently lined up given injuries.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sonko - I may just sneak in the JK for a Cup game and see what I think -plus you can make a quick getaway onto Borough Road and I don't recall the queues for a bovril being too bad !!

I think as things stand, he has to play Joss especially at home. Although he hasnt played well, he is a geniune goal threat, has 2 goals so far and in the 2nd half on Tuesday had a few decent efforts when our strikers, e.g. Enoch clearly werent up to it

Player
Manager
John King
Looking at the match stats, we didn't seem to be getting many crosses in from the left compared to deliveries from Raven and Akins on the right. While Zoum isn't a great crosser of the ball, he can mix things up a bit with his mazy runs and it might have been worth bringing him on.

If we are playing 4-3-3, I would still pick McGurk ahead of Zoum every time on the left side. He was excellent prior to his injury, and showed some nice touches on Tuesday, although it will obviously be a while before he is fully match fit.

Once we have a fit and confident McGurk, Robinson and Devaney back in the side I don't see any reason why we can't push back up towards the top six.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't disagree that McGurk should start ahead of Zoum. However, as things weren't going our way Tuesday night and given we had very limited options for changing things from the bench, I thought it might have been worth introducing him either for Adam or replacing Buchanan at left-back.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, fair point. Zoum is at least a bit more adventurous than Buchanan, or Raven for that matter.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
He's more mobile than Buchanan, but has nowhere near the same quality in delivery or on the ball in general. I disagree with the general assumption that Zoum, by mere virtue of being fast, is a good option on the left wing.