• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0-1 Notts County

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well what a farce that game turned into. I could have swore I was watching a soap opera in the second half.

Started brightly and we had some good early chances in the first 20 minutes. Their GK made some good saves throughout the game.

County never looked like scoring, so when they scored with a penalty, it was time to shut up shop.

Rovers had no answer for it. Second half was poor and we resorted to long balls which for the most part were swallowed up by County. They frustrated with their pathetic time wasting and we couldn't keep the ball or keep it on the floor.

Another poor showing really in front of a good crowd. Dear or dear.. Season not over yet, we needed to win that one. Is this going down to the wire? again.. :?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Tranmere 0-1 Notts County

Don't think I'll ever forget this game. Tonight we lost to the most underhand, cynical and unsporting team I have ever seen in my life.

After a strong start we reacted poorly to going one down and never regained momentum. Everyone worked hard but tonight we witnessed a redefinition "time wasting" and came unstuck against a condensed and very deep (albeit poor) County blockade that we were never likely to break through. TRFC were poor and wasted chances when on top, and it's always very difficult to come from 1 down at home. Zoum dug our grave by giving away a stupid penalty.

A truely awful and stereotype-reinforcing game of football on display tonight. Those who came out of the woodwork to pick up free tickets will not be back.

I would be very embarassed to be a County fan tonight. The day our players behave like that is the day I stop going to PP. Congratulations, Martin Allen.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
I agree about their horrible diving and the crappy referee but we lost because the team was set up badly from the start and we dont have a single player capable of finishing a shot on goal.

Ash Taylor & Akins are both absolutely horrendous

Losing in front of a 12.5k crowd against a hugely negative team who are lower than us in the league and playing a bizarre formation at the same time just shows what Spongebob Handsinpants is all about.

I couldnt quite work out whether it was a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3 but either way neither Cresswell or Akins are capable of playing as wide forwards.

Spongebob isnt entirely to blame for the loss tonight but he needs to go ASAP.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Playing *****?
Lost your last eight games?
Desperately need a win?

Then YOU need a game away at Tranmere Rovers.

Our brand of hoofball will ensure you are not put under any pressure, and our tactical ineptitude will ensure that we persevere with the same system throughout. Plus, we will throw in a needless penalty for you as well, just in case you are still unable to create a chance of your own.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We were playing fine until we conceded. After that, there's absolutely nothing you can do tactically against a 9 man defence. Notts County officially had 1 shot.

I'm less concerned by the result and more in shock of the behaviour of Notts County. I'm not even using it as an excuse. I just thought it was unbelievable in itself.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I wasn't there but even following on Livetext told me everything I needed to know.

I'm not going to have a go at Les. All things considered, he's done a creditable job. But we don't have a clue against packed defences and we never hit back from being a goal down. We have no-one who can come on as sub and change a game. No effective Plan B. That must be one of the priorities for next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Wouldn't disagree with much of what has been said already. The first half was pretty good I thought, basically a repeat of the Dagenham game bar the fininshing, but if our guests for the night wondered why we have been so frustrated at PP this season the second 45 minutes was a perfect demonstration: played into County's hands by going long at every opportunity, and bypassing Jennings, who actually looked sharp and hungry when he came on.

County were the poorest side we have played this season, and their play acting was appalling, but the referee must take a lot of responsibility for completely losing his grip of the game in the second half. The penalty decision was about the only one he got right (needless and stupid challenge by Bakayogo).

The atmosphere was pretty good tonight considering the number of newcomers (opening the rear of the Kop helped) but how many will be back I am not sure. If nothing else, tonight was a perfect introduction to the unpredictability and frustration of being a Rovers fan at the moment.

I think we will still stay up though (just).

drwhoman

Notts Co

Very disappointing if (sadly) a bit predictable. As RLC says we should stay up - surely we will get something from the last four outings against what appear to be middling/lower teams? Mind you we seem to do better against the top teams - perhaps they take us for granted as a sure fire win! On a different point, given all the comments about the way NC played, Martin Allen has been reported to the FA by Barnet (admittedly on their way back to the Conference) for leaving them after 19 days as Manager! At very least they are looking for financial compensation.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I wasn't there but even following on Livetext told me everything I needed to know.

I'm not going to have a go at Les. All things considered, he's done a creditable job. But we don't have a clue against packed defences and we never hit back from being a goal down. We have no-one who can come on as sub and change a game. No effective Plan B. That must be one of the priorities for next season.

Our 3 subs today were Dale Jennings, Andy Robinson and Adam Mcgurk (super-sub at Bournemouth).

The packed defence thing is tougher than people realise. We should probably cut the long balls from deep/central-ish positions and try to work it out wide a bit more. But honestly there's not a lot you can do versus a 9 man defence other than look to put crosses into the box or take pot shots from 25+ yards. No space between or behind the lines.

The key solution is to prevent it happening in the first place i.e Bakayogo's challenge.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the problem is that our 'default' style of play does not involve playing through midfield and switching sharply to the wide men to find them in space: in fact, for much of the last half hour we might as well have not had wide men as we barely used them. Our game is largely based on long, straight balls to Enoch which are either knocked down or flicked on, a tactic which is never likely to work against a packed defence.

It was interesting that in the first half tonight many balls were rolled out by Warner to the full backs to construct moves, but after half time nearly everything was hit long. Why did we do this ? Do the players not have confidence to play out from the back when they are under pressure, because so much of our work on the training ground is about shape and workrate rather than ball retention, or were they given direct instructions at half time to start hitting balls long ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly, I fcuking hate Tuesday games, not seen us win one this season:cry:

Agree with most of what's been said already. We deserved something out of the game, but Notts would say the same about our one-chance win at Meadow Lane earlier this season. The penalty changed everything when we were on top, I wasn't in a good position to judge if it was the right call. Second half, we made things easy for the visitors, aimless balls into the air, much more of a threat when the ball was played on the ground or for someone to run onto.

Along with the usual suspects, Welsh played poorly tonight and showed little leadership. I'd have taken him off rather than Weir.

In order to stay up, I think we've got to rustle up a win either at Hartlepool, where we rarely get anything or against play-off contenders Exeter and Orient or draw all three. I'm apprehensive.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The amount of posts not long after the game shows how pi**ed off we all are.

Les says we played well for the 90 mins. Wrong. I agree with most that for the first say 40mins, we were doing well, creating a lot of half chances and one clear one that Useless Akins messed up.

The penalty was a soft one but I wasnt surprised it was given. Zoom got the wrong side and their lad was looking for it.

It doesnt excuse though how poor we were 2nd half unable to break them down. Yes the ref was poor and so was their time wasting but it shouldnt take away from Les' ineptitute and lack of tactical nouse when things are going wrong. The schenanigans of Notts are not an excuse Les.

The substitutions should have been made a lot earlier. Dale did okay but McGurk and Robbo didnt have enough time to make an impact. He should have made a change no more than 10mins into the 2nd half when things clearly werent working.

Once again we have lost when the crowd is decent. Who can blame the public when times are hard to pay at least £15 to come and watch a team play well for 40mins only.

As for tactics, I have thought that for a long time, because of Les' defensive tactics, if we get the 1st goal, there is a good chance we wont lose...but when we go a goal behind, especially at home against a team who had lost 9 in a row, Les doesnt know how to really attack attack attack.

I think we have the players to do it - what about 4-4-2 ? Robbo/Dale on the wings with McGurk/Enoch up top, Welshy and Joss in the middle or if Robbo aint fit, dale on the right Cressa on the left.

Akins should be sent on loan to Colwyn Bay or released. He has had one decent game all season (at Bournemouth). Considering he has played all season in a front 3 and not scored, that just shows how crap he is.

I am still fuming. Its so annoying that they get our hopes up with a couple of good wins, and then when the chance comes in front of a big crowd, they blow it - largely though down to Les' ineptitude.

We will still stay up but only coz other teams are poorer.

Player
Goodison
I don't understand why you would play 4-5-1 against a team that has lost their last 9 games, it's so stupid, it's unbelievable. Taylor and Akins offer nothing to the team - Taylor cannot pass to save his life, he can't trap the ball, he's not that good in the air, he's slow and he doesn't anticipate. As for Akins, well a corpse would be more effective than he is. I would happily pay his contract off myself if the club couldn't afford to.

The performance itself, was were pretty poor and only put someone through one on one with the goalkeeper once, unfortunately it was Akins who has scored 2 goals in 5 years. We didn't deserve to win because of the amount of hoof ball we played. Taking off Zoom and Weir ahead of Taylor and Akins had no logic to it what so ever. These bizzare tactical decisions by Parry has made up my mind as to whether he should be our manager next season - no. Anyone who thinks Akins should be in the team shouldn't be anywhere near a management position.

I can accept losing with the kind of performance we put in, because we were awful, but to lose to a team with such disgraceful behaviour makes it hard to take. They were diving and time wasting from the first minute, their "injuries" in the 2nd half were all planned as the substitute was ready before the player even went down. Martin Allen is a disgusting manager - he spent the entire game virtually on the pitch, encouraging his players to cheat: hopefully he'll be back on the dole sooner rather than later.

The referee was truely awful as well, the penalty was simply their player slipping over. You could see the mud patch on the pitch were he slipped! The ref also failed to pull up County for their timewasting until added on time started. I'm not blaming the result on the ref, but he was an absolute disgrace to his profession.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, agreed about the ref, Martin Allen and their embarrassing attempts at time wasting. Not what I want to see when I go to watch a game of football. Ref should have stamped that out early on.

Tactically it was frustrating and I do accept that playing against a 9-man defence is difficult, but we went about it completely the wrong way. Why bring on Jennings if you're not going to use him. It's madness pumping balls high into the air. What a complete waste of a sub and a winger.

Also what happened to the left side with Baka and Cresswell which worked well last game. They were hardly in it.

Having thought a little more since last night, I honestly can see this dragging on till the final game. We aren't ruthless enough.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We're still effectively 7 points clear coz of goal difference so with only 4 games left, we will be fine.

I just think tho with a decent manager in charge who knows his tactics etc (i.e. Ronnie), with the current crop of players, we would be no lower than mid table.

Les really cannot take us any further than relegation material coz of his limitations.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
RTID, suspect Les didn't want to change a back-to-back winning team. Hence the formation and personell. Fair enough imo.

Sparky if you think the squad is that good, then surely you can credit Les for assembling it. He's brought in some good players for the money. Not really trying to play devil's advocate or defend the bloke, just saying.

I think the problem is that our 'default' style of play does not involve playing through midfield and switching sharply to the wide men to find them in space: in fact, for much of the last half hour we might as well have not had wide men as we barely used them. Our game is largely based on long, straight balls to Enoch which are either knocked down or flicked on, a tactic which is never likely to work against a packed defence.

Really good point.

Also what happened to the left side with Baka and Cresswell which worked well last game. They were hardly in it.

Not sure. We're using Akins in the same way that we used Curran last year, targetting long balls out to the right flank. Makes more sense versus teams with a short left-back (possibly why he did well at B'mouth, as Rhoys Wiggins - despite his ability - is only 5'8). Cresswell, being as he is small and not particulaly quick, requires more thoughtful service to be of any use. The easy and often ineffective option is sadly to knock it long.

As an aside, Welsh was once again completely ****ing anonymous last night.

Player
Goodison
RTID, suspect Les didn't want to change a back-to-back winning team. Hence the formation and personell. Fair enough imo.

Good managers select specific teams to counter and beat specific teams rather than just leaving the same team out because they won last time. It's one of the reasons why we rarely win consecutive games.

Player
Goodison
As an aside, Welsh was once again completely ****ing anonymous last night.

Agreed on Welsh, he misses two games and we win two, more than a coincedence? Perhaps he's the kind of player who only seems to play well when we're getting battered because he gets stuck in?

M

Mal

oh the irony. As I recall, we won 1-0 at their place, when we had 1 shot, and they had 17. With multiple bookings and us having Labadie (who else) sent off. Then the reverse happens, almost exactly.

And when things are going badly, we can always rely on Exeter at home to give us the necessary points to avoid the drop :0)

Where's Gary when you need him?

Oh and we should therefore win at Hartlepool with an own goal.

Player
Manager
John King
It could be argued that Les got away with playing five in midfield on Saturday because Dagenham were apparently tired and neither played the kind of battling, direct football we expected, nor packed the defence as we might have anticipated. Come Tuesday, Notts County arrive with a typical struggling-team mentality and get men behind the ball, and all our tactical limitations are exposed again. If changing the system to adapt to different types of opposition is good enough for Ferguson, it is probably good enough for us.

Our record against bottom half sides at Prenton Park this season is appalling, and can't just be put down to a coincidence (Oldham, Brentford, Hartlepool, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, Notts County......).

I may be wrong, but I believe we have never come from a goal down to win during Les's tenure, which tells you everything you need to know about our deficiencies.