• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 - 1 Forest

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another load of complete rubbish for 90 minutes.
I'll be on later giving my thoughts about the game, can't be arsed right now, they wind me up too much.. ](*,)

DixieDean

i didnt think we were utter rubbish, we were just overpowered by the weight of a Forest side that were physically stronger. I don't think we won any 50-50s, which is no surprise when you look at them. It was like men against boys. Once they scored they just sat with 8 behind the ball, and quite frankly, who'd blame them?!

We didn't have the ability to open them up. Which is no surpise seeing as creativity has been missing all season.
Davies and Jennings bothed looked out of their depth against a big physical side. Was very surprised that Jennings stayed on the pitch. He was awful. It's amazing how the same player can look like a world beater one week and an egg beater the next.

Facey wasn't interested, which was very disappointing. Someone who normally wins everything in the air, looked as though he was intentionally mistiming his jumps so that he avoided a physical challenge.

Goodison was solid and for me was the only plus to come out of the game.

It made sense to switch to 4-4-2 as 4-3-3 was getting us nowhere fast. It's just a pity Little showed his cards early by having all 3 strikers on the pitch. Made it very difficult for himself to make positive changes.

All in all, as has happened so many time this season, we just weren't good enough. Plenty of effort from most of the lads, but they have once again proven that they can't cut it in this division.

And finally, once again Brian proves that he does not watch our opponents before we play them. Otherwise why would he possibly play the long ball when they are such a big side?

M

Matthew The Rover

Really dissapointed. The commitment was missing from the players and the tactics, team selection and substitutes were awful again.

Firstly we started 4-4-2, which was fair enough. Well, it would have been had Aiston and Tremarco, the two players who have really excelled in a 4-4-2 formation had started. But no, Brian started with O'Leary at RM and Davies at LM, two players out of position. Well I suppose it wouldn't be a Little team without one person out of position.

As the game went on it was hard to see how Rovers were going to score. Their defence was better than our attack when the ball was onthe ground but in the air they looked a bit shakey. However, whenever the ball was in a threatening position near their goal, it never feel to Facey or anybody remotely good in the air.

Midfield was terrible. McAteer's passing was dire and his corners were terrible (again). To make matters worse, Jennings and O'Leary were rubbish whilst Davies just looked lost - exactly what you'd expect from a 18 year old out of position.

I thought Sharps had a terrible game for once and we suffered down to that. Roberts weren't bad but he's lost the commitment now and I believe this is because he doesn't want to harm his chances of getting a move away in the summer. He didn't put one tackle in all game. Raven was excellent defensively but his passing was awful. Goodison was pretty solid and our best player today.

Wilson was pretty solid but his kicking left a lot to be desired whilst I thought Greenacre put in 110% again just never got a sniff of goal whilst Facey started to look bored after about 70 minutes when he had been our most threatening player.

I would like to question why Davies started. When you consider we started 4-4-2, why didn't Little start with a natural left and right midfielder? Did he feel like he did last week, that he just couldn't drop an inform player (eg. Goodison at Rotherham, Davies and O'Leary this week although some would argue they are inform!).
Then there is the substitutes. Did Little really expect that if we went 1-0 (or more) behind, he could throw on any of his five subs who could change the game? Two defenders, Two midfielders and a goalkeeper on a bench - no attacking option. This I believe is why Davies should have been on the bench, so there was an attacking option to throw on.

Really dissapointed and we must get something from Colchester now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK, looking back on reflection, we weren't utter rubbish, but we were pretty poor. For the home side to have hardly a decent shot on goal. Yes, the creativity was lacking and has been all season. I actually didn't think Forest were that good a team. We gifted them the goal (what the hell were we playing at) and they simply has to defend well against a team who have no idea what to do with the ball past the half way line.

But, apart from tactics, formations and play positions, I didn't see any hunger at all. The players didn't seem bothered. They should be fired up for a game like this. There was no fire in the belly. Just nothing really..

When we were a goal down, I honestly couldnt see a way back at all. And as has been said, Little threw his cards down early, so late on in the game, all he could do in terms of fresh legs was to bring Tremarco on. Ohh dear..

Notably good performance from Goodison, but he was an exception. Wilson just doesnt give me any confidence at all. Gave the opposition the ball early on from which they should have scored. In the second half, came running out of goal like a lunatic, caught short, but again, let off by bad finishing. Then late on, couldnt catch a simple shot and had to punch it out for a corner! What was he doing?!? All negatives for me and can't remember a good thing he did to be honest.

Every one else was poor. Midfield especially. Where were they? McAteer didn't make a difference today, which I was disappointed aboutl Jennings was awful and O'Leary wasn't far behind. I'd much rather have Harrison on than Jennings.

Greenacre was quiet without much service and Facey, just the usual Facey really. Slow, half hearted.. I think we missed Zola a lot today.

So the usual poor performance really which neatly sums up our season.
I'm still worried about the next few games, but Brian's given me hope after his post match comments.. "we want to stay in this division" so now I can sit back and relax. :roll:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
we simply didnt look bothered, towards the end we started battling, I don't think we played TERRIBLE but we didn't like we anted to win the game.
Little Out!

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Not much to add to this thread as I was at Everton on Saturday (I go to meet up with my mate from York you understand :wink:, anyway, got what I deserved, £26 for 90 minutes of crap football, I can get that at PP for half the price #-o)... anyway... thought I'd point out a surprising review of the Forest game I read in yesterday's Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/04/17/sfnlg117.xml

Thrilling?

Tested to the limit?

Sounds like you lot were at a different game :wink:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
"Tranmere tested us to the limit"
Hmm. What with 3 half shots on goal! ..

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Terribly depressing rubbish! Thats all I have to say really.