• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0-1 Cheltenham

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC im happy with our league position so far but we could and should be even better off but for the way we have performed at home quite a bit.

As for a great achievement no i dont think so as yet as we have a squad imo that should challenge for the top 6 and i would seriously expect us to be able to compete with and maybe be higher than notts count and stevenage.

The budget is an easy excuse to hide behind but if you look at the players we have in our squad we should be up were we currently are if not slightly higher.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We'll have to agree to differ. I think a number of clubs below us have squads that are similar in quality to ours, but simply haven't matched our results (Preston, Brentford, Oldham, Colchester, Scunthorpe, Hartlepool). You say you would like to finish above Notts County and Stevenage, but we are already above a number of clubs we would not expect to be higher than (Preston and Brentford being obvious examples).

You rightly mention the improved quality of the squad, but you should also remember who signed those players, after inheriting utter dross from Barnes (good old Uncle Les). There is no need to use the budget as an excuse for anything, because we are performing as well as we could reasonably be expected to.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
As for a great achievement no i dont think so as yet as we have a squad imo that should challenge for the top 6 and i would seriously expect us to be able to compete with and maybe be higher than notts count and stevenage.

The budget is an easy excuse to hide behind but if you look at the players we have in our squad we should be up were we currently are if not slightly higher.

And who do you credit for assembling this squad?

Nobody is hiding behind anything. We're 8th in the league and we don't have the 8th biggest budget so we're doing well. Really simple.

Player
Liam Palmer
The reasons we are not top six at this moment (not that it matters until May) is that we lost our two most creative players for two months, as well as our first choice centre half. And we don't have a 20-goal-a-season striker (unless Muzzy or Enoch go mental between now and May). We're doing really well, it's better than I hoped. A bit more luck and fewer dodgy penalties against us and we would be top six anyway.

Time to chill out and enjoy it....:cool:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well summed up Tartan !!

Who knows where we would be if we only had a forward who score regularly.......

Long way to go yet tho.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Playing with alone frontman we will never have a 20 goal a season striker.

Of course Les& Dave Philpotts and others deserve credit for the squad we have, thats not my point, my point is if we were more positive at home we could be doing even better.

We are set up to counter attack if we score first we tend to sit back and hold onto the lead rather than look to kill the game off. When we concede first the best we can hope for is a draw is its over 3 years since we came from behind to win a match.

Player
Liam Palmer
Ha ha, can we get 50 posts about a one-nil home defeat by a League Two club in a competition we were never going to win? Come on lads 'n' lasses, two more.... we can do it!