• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ronnie Returns

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tactically I think he will adopt the approach we need: play two up front, get crosses into the box and try and score some goals.
This is exactly what he said in this mornings press conference.

"Every game we play, let's get at them. Let's not sit back and say we're not going to lose here and maybe getting beat 1-0. Front foot, straight from the first whistle, get after them. Get the wide men, put balls in the box and get plenty of bodies in the box"

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And this should please the 451 haters..

I've always been a stickler for 442. That won't change. Wherever I go I like to have 2 wingers. I dont like the 451 formation. I mean, it's alright if you want to defend and counter attack but you have to have the right players to be able to do that.

At this present time, I'll be looking to get your wingers in games, passing game, get the strikers working together.

How many crosses can we get in. How many shots can we have. I want to be entertaining going forward trying to win the game. It's all about trying to win the game, not sitting back trying to counter attack teams.

Play without fear, blood, sweat and tears. I'm liking it Ronnie.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ronnie has said he will be playing 4-4-2 as this is what he has always done as he likes wingers.

It'll be interesting therefore how he incorporates McGurk, Akins, Robbo, Devaney etc out wide.

merseymariner

Player
Nicky Henry
I think we can all feel a little bit more optimistic now - although lets not kid ourselves that the rest of the season will be easy. The same players are still there, and will still be there til the end of the season.

But, hopefully a change of emphasis in our style of play will reap more rewards.

I for one am delighted in the return of Ronnie!

Player
Goodison
Maybe we will sign a winger on loan. Goodison can always play left wing easily\\:D/

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What an amazing turn-around. Now we're back where we started but having lost PJ a lot of cash and the team dropping down several places.

I'm amazed Ronnie is back after the manner of his departure. Full credit to PJ for swallowing his pride and RM for forgiving him. After the shambles replacing Ronnie and JB, I'm pretty pleased we've got an immediate replacement the fans can get behind. Ronnie will only recognise one player from his time (Goodi) and of course Danny Holmes, so perhaps it's as well KS and JMcM are still around. It's a real shame three of our key players are out injured, but let's hope Ronnie has been given a little extra cash for loanees or permanent signings. ITM could be signed outside the transfer window as he is out of contract, but I'm not convinced he would be the answer.

Interesting that some quick thinking by ITM led to his dad getting the job. http://www.football365.com/league-one/7571796/Son-behind-Ronnie-s-Rovers-return

muhalo

Player
Pat Nevin
Excellent news, and definitely worth my first post on this forum for, well, about 18 months...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Burton are apparently interested in Ronnie, while I note Rotherham have sacked their manager. I would be surprised if the Millers invited him back for a 3rd time, but wonder if he'd consider Burton?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Burton are apparently interested in Ronnie, while I note Rotherham have sacked their manager. I would be surprised if the Millers invited him back for a 3rd time, but wonder if he'd consider Burton?
I'm sure even Burton could offer him more money and he'd be flattered, but I'm not sure he'd want to go. It would mean uprooting again after moving back to Merseyside. In any case, if push comes to shove, I doubt PJ would let him break his contract. Does anyone know the terms of the contract? Is it just to the end of the season? I would hope PJ is seriously thinking of extending it soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Contract runs to the end of the season. I think from comments Ronnie made before the weekend game that he lives in Yorkshire, so Burton would be closer to home. Also they generally tend to be a fairly patient club; Nigel Clough was given ample time to get them into the league.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If Burton are interested in him, I think we should seriously consider offering him a contract extension.

I think Rotherham could well be interested in taking him back. I listened to the Radio Sheffield phone-in on Saturday and many of their fans wanted him back, with the general consensus being that he was hastily dismissed last year when well placed in the league, after a freak thrashing at Chesterfield.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I'm sure even Burton could offer him more money and he'd be flattered, but I'm not sure he'd want to go. It would mean uprooting again after moving back to Merseyside. In any case, if push comes to shove, I doubt PJ would let him break his contract. Does anyone know the terms of the contract? Is it just to the end of the season? I would hope PJ is seriously thinking of extending it soon.

Burton could offer him more money eerrr why ...are they some sort of new soccer super power..or are you just being a passive football accountant ??

I have an image that les p was a little guy with no image of progression at tranmere ...that is why he had a p--s poor budget to work with..because thats all the respect he had from PJ...or anyone come to that!

RM different kettle of ...maybe that will be his undoing ?

Up rooting ,RM lives in Yorkshire and will happily rent here, for how ever long his connection with the club lasts..!

I don,t know the terms of his contract..but i,ll guess...its for the rest of this season only ...at an agreed amount of dosh...er no bonus if he keeps us up as that would be meaningless and rather in bad taste...both parties are free to go there own way at the end of the season etc....?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Will be amazed if Ronnie went back to Rotherham given how he was treated, i.e. sacked when in the play offs.

I know he was treated poorly by PJ too, but part of Ronnies heart is at rovers so thats why he came back. Plus he was out of work.

Burton on the other hand if they came in and offered him a contract till the end of the season, and say another 2 years, are a different kettle of fish and I am sure he would seriously consider it.

If PJ has any sense and given our recent upturn in form, he'll get a contract to Ronnie asap.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What a breath of fresh air Ronnie has become. Such a vast improvement in the last few weeks. We're all desperate to keep hold of him now. I think Ronnie was delighted to be back at the club and wouldn't consider Burton. I think he has genuine ambitions to push us into the Championship. Doesn't moan about current conditions. Gets on with it and does a good job. We were close last time! He's the best man for the job, let him get on with it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Burton could offer him more money eerrr why ...are they some sort of new soccer super power..or are you just being a passive football accountant ??

You don't have to be a soccer super power to be able to offer a manager more money than Tranmere. The Burton job is a better one than the Tranmere one really.