• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

RIP Peter Johnson

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The best owner the club has ever had, and probably the single most significant individual in our history. He transformed us from perennial lower-league deadbeats to a side capable of competing with the best teams in the country.

For all the trials and tribulations of recent seasons, the club is in a far better place now than it was forty years ago when I started supporting, largely because of Peter Johnson's legacy.

RIP.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very sad and I agree with all the comments except one. PJ is possibly the second most significant individual in our history. The most significant has to be our founder, James Hannay McGaul. Without PJ, we would probably no longer exist. Without McGaul, we would never have existed.

But they are unarguably both fundamental to our history. Without PJ, if TRFC existed today it would be as a phoenix club in goodness knows what tier of the pyramid.

A sad day.
He saved the club’s existence, took care to leave it with a future and, in between, helped make so many memories that’ll last a lifetime. Quite a legacy…and that was just one string to his bow.
RIP

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

Very sad news. As has been said Peter had a huge impact on the Club. On the subject of Club identities, I see that Ron Yeats, who was player-manager 71-74, has Alzheimers and is receiving financial support from LFC. Mark Palios would have played for Rovers for the last year or so of that time.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Sincere condolences to Peter’s family & friends. Clearly cared passionately about the club, as so eloquently said by so many, provided us the eternal memories of mixing with the big boys and so many wonderful memories we all cherish eternally.
Given our more recent revival from the NL has been also facilitated by Peter’s generosity with loans and write offs suggest we should pay our respects by contributing to some form of suitable memorial at PP to reflect our gratitude and his place in our history, which may have terminated had he not rescued us from the abyss.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On the subject of Club identities, I see that Ron Yeats, who was player-manager 71-74, has Alzheimers and is receiving financial support from LFC. Mark Palios would have played for Rovers for the last year or so of that time.
Indeed he was, drw. Ron was player manager and Mark was the hero when Rovers won at Highbury. The two will surely have a great bond.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Very sad and I agree with all the comments except one. PJ is possibly the second most significant individual in our history. The most significant has to be our founder, James Hannay McGaul. Without PJ, we would probably no longer exist. Without McGaul, we would never have existed.

But they are unarguably both fundamental to our history. Without PJ, if TRFC existed today it would be as a phoenix club in goodness knows what tier of the pyramid.
Good point as I recall Tranmere shared local precedence with Birkenhead FC, we prevailed and the other failed. Of course we might all be fans of Birkenhead FC a more successful club and regard Tranmere as an oil terminal. We could actually be nearer to a Sunderland in image?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good point as I recall Tranmere shared local precedence with Birkenhead FC, we prevailed and the other failed. Of course we might all be fans of Birkenhead FC a more successful club and regard Tranmere as an oil terminal. We could actually be nearer to a Sunderland in image?
Good point, db. We'll never know. But would we have heard of Newton Heath or Small Heath if they had not changed their names to Manchester United and Birmingham City? On the other hand, Everton and Aston Villa have thrived using the name of their district rather than their city.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Good point, db. We'll never know. But would we have heard of Newton Heath or Small Heath if they had not changed their names to Manchester United and Birmingham City? On the other hand, Everton and Aston Villa have thrived using the name of their district rather than their city.
Yes those two thrived in a big city alongside others. Us and Port Vale struggled a bit on the recognition front. Vale are in Burslem one of five towns, another being Stoke. Not sure exactly why one became big the other not so. Maybe this what holds FGR back lol

drwhoman

Yes those two thrived in a big city alongside others. Us and Port Vale struggled a bit on the recognition front. Vale are in Burslem one of five towns, another being Stoke. Not sure exactly why one became big the other not so. Maybe this what holds FGR back lol
I lived in Newcastle Under Lyme in the late 60s/early 70s and I always enjoyed watching Stoke who had a few well known senior players amongst whom were George Eastham and Roy Vernon, although the big local centre forward John Ritchie was probably the crowd favourite. A trip to Vale Park was not so common but I do recall them beating Workington who left the league years ago!