• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pools v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Of our four remaining opponents, Hartlepool have the least to play for, so on paper that makes this appear to be the easiest game left. However, Brentford beat us at a similar stage and position last season, proving paper and grass are entirely different!

We've not had a good recent record at Victoria Park, though I did go to our last win up there, a 0-1 with Chris Dagnall, I think, getting our winner, which was the same season as we lost to them in the play-offs.

Will Les change anything, or take the attitude that we played well on Tuesday, it was all down to Notts' spoiling tactics and the ref, leaving the team largely unchanged. I fear the latter.

My preference would be for a 442 line-up. Jennings and Robinson to play a half each, McGurk to join Enoch up front and ditch Akins.

Prediction. If Rovers are bold, we could win this, Hartlepool didn't look up to much when they beat injury-hit Rovers with a streaky og earlier in the season. However, if the usual fare is served up, a point is the most we'll achieve.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It'll be interesting what team he picks as surely he cant keep the same line up as Tuesday.

Reserves drew 2-2 last night. McGurk scored again (if I was him I would see out my contract and sign for a team that will actually give him a chance in the first team).

Dale played the whole game and Robbo got 60mins plus Mahon played so their plenty of scope to change things.

Knowing Les tho, first name on the teamsheet will be Useless Akins ! Expect Welsh in for Joss. I would go 4-4-2

Warner
Kay Goodi McCryhstal Cressa
Dale Welsh Robbo Zoom
Enoch McGurk

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't see Les making many changes for this game. Expect the usual suspects to trot out. If we win this, we stay up. That will see us breaking through the 50pt barrier. But it's a big if.. the problem is that you can never predict Rovers. But I do think we are more resilient away from home, so I'm going for a 1-1 draw.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
As Boz says, 'Pool have the least to play for, so expect us to lose this then, yet beat exeter on monday....](*,)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
2 1 for them our record their in recent years is dire

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Making the trip up for this game however if Les insists on playing 4-5-1 with Akins in the team im liable to run on the pitch and strangle him.

Prediction 1-0 Hartlepool

CanCan

Player
Pat Nevin
When will les realise that 4-3-3 just doesn't work with the calibre of players we have. I know he isn't a natural footballing man but surely one of the backroom staff should have suggested by now to him that it's just not working, and neither is Lucas akins despite his pace he just doesn't cut it even at this level. As for Hartlepool I can see us picking up something out of the game as we seem to raise our games away from home more so than at home.

DIW

Player
Goodison
When will les realise that 4-3-3 just doesn't work with the calibre of players we have. I know he isn't a natural footballing man but surely one of the backroom staff should have suggested by now to him that it's just not working, and neither is Lucas akins despite his pace he just doesn't cut it even at this level. As for Hartlepool I can see us picking up something out of the game as we seem to raise our games away from home more so than at home.

Erm...pace? Akins? Am I watching the same player?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The appearance of Jennings, McGurk and Robinson in the reserves the other night would suggest, unfortunately, that none of them will start. It would have been nice to see McGurk given a decent run in the side after his confidence-boosting goal at Bournemouth, but sadly his reward was to be stuck back in the stiffs. I wouldn't be surprised if Akins is offered a contract at the end of the season and McGurk released.

All that said, I fancy us to get a point tomorrow, given our illogical habit of picking up points in games where we are not fancied. Walsall and Bristol Rovers have reasonably tough games on Saturday, and hopefully by the end of the holiday period we will be mathematically safe.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with Sparky and RLC re McGurk, he deserves a few starts and Akins has had enough chances. Unless something drastic happens, Adam will be moving on next season and who can blame him?

Back to the match. Pools are going to blood some youngsters apparently, so let's hope that our experience can tell and their rookies are not Victoria Park's answer to Dale. Meanwhile, Rovers have a few injury doubts, Goodi and Enoch, but expect they'll recover for the game.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Have you considered that they may be blooding youngsters because they are playing Tranmere, who are nothing if not reliably crap in games they should, on paper win?

Status
Not open for further replies.