• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Plymouth Argyle v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As already observed elsewhere on these boards, a real "must not lose" game.

Injury news is mixed. Mahon, Cathalina and Zoum all lasted the full 90 minutes of a behind closed doors friendly. Robinson picked up an injury, but will probably be fit. Ryan Fraughan's done his medial ligaments and will be out for 6 weeks. No mention of Dale on the o/s, thought Les had said something about him picking up a knock earlier in the week? The trialists weren't mentioned either.

I suspect we'll park the proverbial bus in this one and hope to sneak a goal on the break. If that is the approach, we need fit players and Robinson shouldn't start. Plymouth looked a decent side at PP, where we hung on to a win courtesy of a Dale wondergoal, despite a frantic last 5 minutes from the visitors. Since then, due to financial woes some of their better players have moved on.

Prediction. Would hope we're capable of taking something from this one.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Plymouth have lost seven of the last eight and would appear to be in disarray on and off the pitch, with players again going unpaid in January. However, Peter Reid has been hyping this game up and may get a reaction from his players after Argyle's narrow escape with the Revenue this week, and this is precisely the sort of game we have struggled in over the last eighteen months.

Defeat would be little short of disastrous really, and Rovers really have to take something from the game. If we do lose, my optimism about our chances of survival will be seriously tested.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am not convinced a defeat would see us relegated. We have other games in hand. I am more concerned about getting better results at home. Then any points picked up away would be a bonus.

I would be delighted with a point and disappointed but not too upset if we lose.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Robinson and Jennings both picked up knocks in a pointless game against Liverpool on tuesday, the trialists at the game one was a 36 ex Wrexham centre half who had been released by Kettering not sure about the other.

Tough game for the lads this one. Plymouth players have not been paid since January which may have some bearing on the sort of results they have been getting. They also had to offload most of their better players in the transfer window these included BWP and Noone.

Depends greatly how Les plays this one and whether Robbo and Jenno shake off their respective knocks. Perhaps something like this:

-------------Warner--------------

Kay---McChrystal-Goodison--Bakayogo

Robbo------Welsh------Ladabie

Lateef------Enoch------Jennings

One thing Les must play to his advantage is the amount of pace this side now has. They need to put pressure on Plymouth and hopefully get them to drop their heads. Am going for a 1-0 defeat, I know its pessimistic however when we play clubs down on their luck we seem to want to cheer them up by playing awful and gifting them a result.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Plymouth in disarray, weakened side, only just escaped winding up.

We'll lose this.

M

Mal

"Defeat would be little short of disastrous really"

Look at the mini table I put together in the RTBC thread.

No it won't be disastrous.

We have 3 to 4 games on most around us with FAR less than 12 points difference.

I fully expect us to get at least 6 points out of the 9 to 12 points 'outstanding' which will put us reasonably clear of trouble.

0-0 tomorrow though due to Plymouth playing it like a cup-tie.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Plymouth in disarray, weakened side, only just escaped winding up.

We'll lose this.

Exactly. And we'll stay up by pulling ridiculous home wins out of the bag against promotion winning sides.

It's Tranmere.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
"Defeat would be little short of disastrous really"

Look at the mini table I put together in the RTBC thread.

No it won't be disastrous.

I have pointed out previously myself that mathematically our position is not that bad, but the pyschological impact of losing to a side in Plymouth's predicament would still be damaging.

By 'disastrous' I am simply referring to a very poor result (like Brentford at home) wth the associated impact on confidence, not guaranteed relegation.

Player
Goodison
This is the kind of match Tranmere love to lose! However we do need to get something out of this game as it ensures Plymouth don't start pulling away from us - we need as many teams in the mix as possible.

M

Mal

Bon Jovi song :0)

Whilst I'd have been happy with a predicted 6 points out of 12 - I'm now hoping for at least 8

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very important win today gives us a little bit of breathing space from the bottom 4 a win on tuesday and things will be looking a lot healthier

Status
Not open for further replies.