• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Players to look at?

Player
Goodison
Just been flicking through the PFA transfer list and listed these players as ones who could be potentially looked at for Tranmere. Some are more realistic than others, see what you think.
Goalkeepers:
Casper Ankergen, Age 30
Jan Budtz, Age 31
Leonard Pidgeley, Age 26
Right Backs:
Daniel Butterfield, Age 30
Andrew Cave-Brown, Age 21
Robert Kozluck, Age 32
Daniel Senda, Age 30
David Raven, Age 25
Centre Backs:
Clint Hill, Age 31
Sam Sodje, Age 31
Left Backs:
Robert Williams, Age 25
Right Midfielders:
Andy Robinson, Age 30
Lloyd Sam, Age 25
Central Midfielders:
Ritchie Jones, Age 23
Stephen O’Leary, Age 25
Steven Schumacher, Age 26
Anderson Silva Da Franca, Age 27
Left Midfielders:
Dean Cox, Age 22
Strikers:
Adebayo Akinfenwa, Age 28
Febian Brandy, Age 21
Delroy Facey, Age 30
Scott Vernon, Age 26

Also noticed that Curran is listed on there as avaliable for free transfer, unlike other players out of contract who have offers such as Welsh.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd noted that about Curran too; putting himself in the shop-window?

Of the players you've high-lighted, there are a few who are realistic targets and I'd take.

Keepers. Kenny Arthur ex-Accrington now Rochdale on the list and fairly reliable.Ankergen always looked like a disaster waiting to happen.

Full-backs. David Raven didn't inspire when on loan here. Don't rate Senda or know much about the rest.

Central defenders. Would be great to get Clint back, still capable of doing a job, but would he come? Is Chris McCready out of contract, doesn't feature on the PFA list.

Midfielders. Already been told Robbo out of our price range, he might not be the only one. None of the others inspire, save Dean Cox and I can't see him fitting into Les' system.

Strikers. I've already seen enough of Akinfenwa to doubt his ability at this level. Facey a no, Brandy had some chances on loan, without making an impression, Vernon wanted to stay down south. There must be some better options?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Stephen O'Leary could be worth bringing back, but I am not sure what level he is playing at now ?

drwhoman

PLAYERS TO LOOK AT

I read a recent interview with Akinfenwa. He wants to go back down south. He has been commuting from London, where his wife and child live, so we can probably rule him out.
Will they sign McCready on a permanent basis or is he still contracted to Northampton? I think the bottom line with any of the players Les signs is that they have to be 100% committed and fit into his playing system. We had too many 'hangers on' last season and guys who Barnes brought in to play in a more expansive style than Les came up with. We know where that got us - no defenders!
I see Ronnie Moore was saying that Les should get the job. We will see. I note Harrison and Sharps were in the Rotherham team together with Gunning who did not cover himself with glory at Prenton although to be fair to a young player - to sign one day and play the next, with a converted midfielder next to you, was a big ask.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mcready has a year left at Northampton but they are willing to release him

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mcready has a year left at Northampton but they are willing to release him

I'm not sure Les would want him as he didn't feature much towards the end of the season. Also, I seem to remember he was on better wages at Northampton and we could only afford to pay part of his wages.

McCready

Yeah, I suspect it must be a wages thing. McCready has never let us down in either spell from memory and has always been solid, a definite preference to Broomes in my opinion!

Until we establish whether Ash will be used as a centre back or deep midfielder it's difficult to work out how many central defenders are required during the close season, either one or two I guess depending on the aforementioned.

Re-signing Clint would obviously be the ideal scenario I guess but I assume he is on the steak menu as opposed to Les' burger van budget.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Would love us to sign Coxy, but as Boz says, he's not a very "Les Parry" type of player (i.e he can pass a ball)

Clint would be amazing...and Mcready is a solid center half at this level imo, local lad, can't see his wages being absurdly high or anything...would be made up if he signed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was hoping, perhaps being optimistic, that we would sign Dagnall back but he's got a 3 year deal at Scunthorpe so will be interesting how he does going up 2 levels from league 2 to championship.

Dagnall

I'm with you on that one Sparky, I thought it was a shocking bit of business when we let Dagnall go so cheaply, was it about £25K that we received?

Brian Little didn't seem particularly interested in developing local talent and to this day I'm still surprised there wasn't more of an outcry from our fans when Dagnall left, unless there was more to it than I'm aware of.

Player
Goodison
To be fair Little brought Ryan Taylor and Hume through - letting Dagnall go was just a stupid decision. I don't think there was ever much chance of him coming back this summer, to be honest if it was between Rovers and Rochdale he would probably stay at Rochdale!

Hume and Taylor were destined for a higher level of football though and big bucks for Rovers whereas Dagnall was sold for peanuts to a League Two team when clearly his potential was far greater than this.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
lol, any manager with half a brain would have kept all 3...

M

Mal

well if can't afford full price for a player, always best to go dutch

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
With the deadline imposed by the club for contract offers now passed, it looks like we've lost Messrs. Welsh, Bakayogo and Curran. I hope somebody is looking for replacements. Any rumours?

The trouble is that we are not that attractive for a League One side. Pay is worse than many League Two clubs and one-year contracts seem to be the norm. Still, I'm sure that by August we'll be better organised than we were at the start of last season. It could hardly be worse.