• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Owls 2 Rovers 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We put in a really spirited performance today, which I think we can take a lot of encouragement from. We ultimately paid for giving away a stupid goal from a routine set play in the first minute, which lifted the home crowd and Wednesday players, and set the tone for the rest of the first half (the second Wednesday goal was a good move). Having defended Rachubka previously, I think he was unconvincing in dealing with the ball into the box for their opener, and flapped at several other crosses in the first half which could have cost us further goals. His shot stopping was excellent again, however.

In the first half we actually had a lot of decent possession, but absolutely no penetration, partly I think due to the understandable reluctance of the full backs to get forward at two nil down, and also due to Tiryaki's isolation. Wednesday had a similar amount of possession, but loads more chances as a result of a difference in quality in the final third.

I noticed on another thread some people have mocked Les's decision to bring on Welsh, but it was actually this substitution that changed the game. In the second half, with both Welsh and Labadie in the middle, we controlled the midfield, and became more threatening as the half progressed. In the last twenty minutes we had six or seven near things in addition to Goodison's goal, and can count ourselves unlucky not to have taken a point, and it was great to see the home fans sweating.

In all, I think we did well both to stay in the game in the first half when a drubbing looked on the cards at one stage, and then to mount a genuine fightback after the break.

In terms of individual performances, I thought both centre backs did well again, as did Holmes at right back, despite being up against one of the most dangerous wide players in the division in Marshall. Tiryaki worked manfully, but was too isolated again, and if he is to play the lone striker role we have to find a way of getting him twenty yards further up the pitch. Today he was barely ever in the eighteen yard box. Weir was anonymous again, but both Labadie and Baxter did ok. Welsh's absence in the first half was apparent in the lack of protection for the back four.

Our performance is put in perspective by their assistant manager's observation that the first half was Wednesday's best performance since Megson took charge. Last season we went behind early in this fixture and were battered 4-0 against a much poorer side, which given the number of our players missing through injury, gives me reason for optimism.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I noticed on another thread some people have mocked Les's decision to bring on Welsh, but it was actually this substitution that changed the game. In the second half, with both Welsh and Labadie in the middle, we controlled the midfield, and became more threatening as the half progressed.

How did we actually change?

If Welsh was fit enough to be brought on at such an early stage, why not start him?

Tiryaki's isolation and understandable tendency to drop deep can only be solved by a change in formation or a change in the quality/ethos of our approach play.

DIW

Player
Goodison
In fairness it's easy to mock when you weren't at the game. Picture this, 2-0 down at half time, we need two goals at least and Les brings on a defensive midfielder. Didn't seem like an attacking substitution but I accept that it made a positive difference so fair play to Les.

Suppose the fact the we were hammered 4-0 there last year and managed to dig in a bit today though is a plus of sorts.

Need 3 points next Saturday though.

Player
Manager
John King
How did we actually change?

If Welsh was fit enough to be brought on at such an early stage, why not start him?

Presumably Parry wanted to keep faith with the team that beat Bury, but realised that the midfield were not giving the back four enough protection in the first half.

Weir moved out to the right and Akins went up front to accommodate Welsh. To be fair, I myself have criticised Les's inability to influence the direction of games with his substitutions, but the change today definitely had a positive impact.

Player
Manager
John King
Tiryaki's isolation and understandable tendency to drop deep can only be solved by a change in formation or a change in the quality/ethos of our approach play.

Yes, when Tiryaki plays the lone striker role, our approach is exactly the same as when Enoch plays there, despite the fact that the two have completely different attributes. Tiryaki is never going to create chances for himself by bustling past a defender with power and pace, as Enoch was able to do when he was on form. I think he is a much more conventional, eighteen yard box striker, and needs a different kind of service and support.

drwhoman

OWLS

A good effort after a poor start. I gather, from what RLC has said, that we might have had a draw. Oh for a decent striker. Anyway, on the Welsh situation, my understanding is that he is carrying a knee injury and so I assume Les is using him sparingly. Clearly he felt that he had no alternative in this game at half time. At 0-2 Les probably thought that we had a chance as long as we did not concede a third. Hence the substitution which almost worked perfectly. Shame but on to the next one!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It sounded like McGurk had a cracking chance to equalise late on in the game. Was it a difficult chance or should he have buried it? Agree about Turyaki too. Give him the ball in the box, he will get you goals, but he's going to really struggle up on his own. So why were we so poor in the first 10 mins? Nervous/cautious start?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Never seem to get the chance to see Turyaki, although I have been an advocate of giving him a chance. However, having watched him at Bury game close up I believe despite being a big lad he needs to get on the wights as he is too easily out muscled I take the point from earlier in the thread he won't go knocking centre halves out the way, which is a shame as I believe he had a bit about him. He may be better in a different role as described above, but I now have my doubts.

I think we should give McGurk a run in the middle and mix the midfield up with some ball winners and attack minded players. Hopefully the ball might get played to feet more often and hope McGurk can be the fox in and around the box. Also give Zoum a run left midfield, especially if centre mid becomes too lightweight.

Player
Manager
John King
It sounded like McGurk had a cracking chance to equalise late on in the game. Was it a difficult chance or should he have buried it? Agree about Turyaki too. Give him the ball in the box, he will get you goals, but he's going to really struggle up on his own. So why were we so poor in the first 10 mins? Nervous/cautious start?

I remember good chances near the end for Akins and Welsh but must have missed McGurk's. On five or six occasions in the last ten minutes we flashed balls across their box, so perhaps Adam was close to connecting with one of these ?

There was a massive, vociferous crowd yesterday, and after conceding in the first minute we were always going to be on the rack for twenty minutes or so. I don't think it was nerves, just conceding a stupid goal after 90 seconds against the team with the best home record in the division, which put us under immense pressure.

On another topic, listening to Parry's somewhat harsh comments about Tiryaki after the game, it is clear he really does not rate him at all. It will be interesting to see what activity there is in the loan market before the end of the month, after our failed attempt to sign the Birmingham striker. Might we return Baxter to Everton to free up cash for an out and out striker ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just watched an unexpected 28 mins of highlights on Tranmere World. Might be a touch of sour grapes, but I'm sure Weir was fouled in the counter attack which led to their second goal. However there is no excusing the defending which was awful.

Rachubka made some excellent stops in that first half. The score could have been 3 or 4 easily. Great header from Goodison too.

Such a shame we couldn't convert any more in that second half as we were really putting on the pressure. If only we had more quality up front.

Player
Manager
John King
Just watched an unexpected 28 mins of highlights on Tranmere World. Might be a touch of sour grapes, but I'm sure Weir was fouled in the counter attack which led to their second goal.

He was, yes. I think Labadie was also fouled in the same move.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From talking to an Owls fan who was at the game, it sounds like we could have been buried by half-time, although we made them sweat at the end. Overall I was expecting us to lose by more so a mix of relief and disappointment.

On the Football Forum, a couple of the home fans were saying how poor Labadie was, although I note RLC thought he did ok.