• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Out of Contract; Keep/Release/Unsure?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There's a strong nucleus of next seasons team already signed up, although one or two of those may still move on. Think McGee, Tom Davies, Mikey Davies, Hendry, Walker, Morris, Hawkes, Jennings Dennis and Taylor already on deals.

Of those out of contract Rhys Hughes and Hockenhull on loans to the end of the season are highly unlikely to return. Robson, Belehouan, Starbuck and Lacey have rarely or never made the bench so unless they start appearing in the remaining games think they'll be off too.

My thoughts on the rest;

Joe Murphy. Time to call it a day? Joe's barely featured this season though seems to be more involved in the coaching side and does count as homegrown UNDECIDED

Lee O'Connor. Steady at full-back though Adkins reluctant to use in a central midfield role. Probably got other offers KEEP

Dan Pike. Understandably struggled at left-back, but not wholly convinced in his natural position on the right. Squad player at best RELEASE

Jordan Turnbull. Rumoured he'd signed an extension but nothing confirmed. KEEP

Joe Yarney He's had a couple of steady showings filling in but hard to see as a first team regular UNDECIDED

Connor Wood. Missed in his recent absence. He might want to return down south. KEEP

Chris Merrie. The best of the next 3 in my view, but Adkins doesn't seem to rate him. Capable of being a squad player, but likely to get more football elsewhere UNDECIDED

Reece McAlear. Another disappointing season but Nigel seems to like. Squad player UNDECIDED

Paul Lewis. Doesn't contribute enough when picked RELEASE

Ousmane Kane. Has he done anything to activate his one year option? No idea, but he hasn't made the bench yet. RELEASE

Luke Norris. He is a decent target-man striker but on a high wage and has he done enough to earn a new deal after returning from injury? UNDECIDED

Harvey Saunders. His pace work-rate and habit of winning penalties are valuable assets at this level, probably just enough to compensate for his failings in front of goal. KEEP

Charlie Jolley. Seems to have dropped off the radar and despite getting some good goals notably the one at Mansfield probably not done enough for Rovers to take up his option. RELEASE

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There's a strong nucleus of next seasons team already signed up, although one or two of those may still move on. Think McGee, Tom Davies, Mikey Davies, Hendry, Walker, Morris, Hawkes, Jennings Dennis and Taylor already on deals.

Of those out of contract Rhys Hughes and Hockenhull on loans to the end of the season are highly unlikely to return. Robson, Belehouan, Starbuck and Lacey have rarely or never made the bench so unless they start appearing in the remaining games think they'll be off too.

My thoughts on the rest;

Joe Murphy. Time to call it a day? Joe's barely featured this season though seems to be more involved in the coaching side and does count as homegrown UNDECIDED

Lee O'Connor. Steady at full-back though Adkins reluctant to use in a central midfield role. Probably got other offers KEEP

Dan Pike. Understandably struggled at left-back, but not wholly convinced in his natural position on the right. Squad player at best RELEASE

Jordan Turnbull. Rumoured he'd signed an extension but nothing confirmed. KEEP

Joe Yarney He's had a couple of steady showings filling in but hard to see as a first team regular UNDECIDED

Connor Wood. Missed in his recent absence. He might want to return down south. KEEP

Chris Merrie. The best of the next 3 in my view, but Adkins doesn't seem to rate him. Capable of being a squad player, but likely to get more football elsewhere UNDECIDED

Reece McAlear. Another disappointing season but Nigel seems to like. Squad player UNDECIDED

Paul Lewis. Doesn't contribute enough when picked RELEASE

Ousmane Kane. Has he done anything to activate his one year option? No idea, but he hasn't made the bench yet. RELEASE

Luke Norris. He is a decent target-man striker but on a high wage and has he done enough to earn a new deal after returning from injury? UNDECIDED

Harvey Saunders. His pace work-rate and habit of winning penalties are valuable assets at this level, probably just enough to compensate for his failings in front of goal. KEEP

Charlie Jolley. Seems to have dropped off the radar and despite getting some good goals notably the one at Mansfield probably not done enough for Rovers to take up his option. RELEASE
I agree with most of that, other than I would definitely let McAlear go and I would keep Norris, unless the medical staff are completely unconvinced he can make a recovery.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I'd expect Dennis and Saunders could do a mutual departure.
Lacey and Davies are 19, they have to be in contention for August otherwise a waste of space. Starbuck is older ditch.
Robson is this disgraceful false 2 if Joe retires, so he'll stay I guess.
Just about keep Yarney but sign a serious left footed centre half, ditch Bele
Tend to agree with most of yours Boz, LOC is unlikely to stay now.
Lewis being local could do a job as he has for numerous coaches, not for me but can see it.
I would be tempted to ditch Wood, definitely Merrie had a long run with no product under Micky but not McAlear he still has unknown limits.
deffo keep Norris but sign an alternative presence up top.
That's about eight decent earners, defined as proven league or from a senior club. We need also a Hendry alternative, someone with fizz and box to box.
Norris junior could be a wing back or left mid, got a pass like Merrie but gets about as well?
However you look at it, the base is stronger than for years, the form is good and we are still crowded by that all those misfits.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Depending on who you count, we have a squad of about 32 players. I would suggest we should start next season with more quality and less quantity, so about 24 players maximum. That suggests we should allow about half to go. Some will be released, some may be sold, some may walk (Lee O'Connor), while I expect the three loanees to return to their home clubs. That would leave space - and more importantly cash - to bring in eight new players permanently or on loan. Assuming our budget will be similar next season, having fewer players will mean higher quality.

ADD

Player
Norwood
My concern re recruitment is although it is suggested that Adkins had no/ very little input in the recruitment this season I am not sure how true that was. We will see shortly however if rumours elsewhere that McAlear is going to be extended then my concerns immediately increase. I also have grave doubts about Saunders who Adkins seems to rate far more than I do. To me he is a runner not a footballer and whilst yes he causes defenders issues with his running around and harrying like a Jack Russell it forces us to play long balls to no-one in particular with just the hope that the defenders mess up. He has also been responsible for the fact Taylor has got so little game time which IMO has been a wrong decision - I rate him far higher.
As to the others Boz listed I thought Lacey had a multi year contract? I also thought Mikey Davis was only on a one year contract and based on how little he has played I doubt he will get another. Norris senior I would keep IF the medical staff think he is definitely over his injury concerns as I doubt we can afford anyone better. Norris Jnr I would think could make a worthy recruit but not if Adkins is going to play him at LB. All the others I would agree.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ADD, I thought had seen a reference to a 2 year deal for Mikey although looking on the official site no length specified. Given the requirement for home grown players think he might get another year if not.

Lacey is a total mystery he looked poor though played on the wrong side v Vauxhall pre-season and there wasn’t even a formal announcement when he initially signed them farmed off to Flint Town, only when we extended mid-season.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Home grown rule is verging on slave labour now, they aren't building a viable career just ticking boxes. Lacey was player I had to google when you included him!
McAlear is a player IMO, using a racing term, we haven't got to the bottom of yet and it appears Nigel is on board this theory. he has been preferred to Merrie, Lewis and Hughes?
Saunders possibly offers more now than Taylor but not in the long term. His willingness may last but at 27 his pace won't. His usefulness maybe over and he may want a most prominent role, but he won't ever be first choice winger or I doubt lead forward.
I had a broken bone in my foot it was a devil to get right and I could feel it again the following winter without it being a problem. I'm sure Norris had better support anyway but it has no long term effect.
There appears to be a training squad issue with numbers, difficult to train with less than 22? Some are on very low wages? However in my book if you 20 plus not on the bench and your position gets injured then you don't get a shirt, you are dispensable.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pretty much agree there Boz. In terms of squad players, I would keep McAlear and Yarney. I think with a good pre season behind him, Luke Norris could be an important player for us so definitely a keep for me.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Saunders just gives us a different option from the bench but we really need a decent striker to partner Norris up front.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Saunders just gives us a different option from the bench but we really need a decent striker to partner Norris up front.
Unless we can get rid of Dennis I doubt we will be able to afford a decent striker if we also keep Saunders and Norris

ADD

Player
Norwood
Further to my earlier post this morning just read that apparently according to two separate ITK's on another site both McAlear and Saunders have been offered new deals which as I said earlier worries me! LOC has also although he will likely go as already has much better offers elsewhere..
Jolley, Pike and Starbuck all told no new deals also apparently which makes more sense.....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Realistically, we aren't going to replace all the players we think aren't good enough. It's not going to be perfect but I just hope we can strengthen in certain areas. I think we took a bit of a hit last season when we lost our full backs as the replacements aren't as good so hope this time, we can improve. I don't think it's a disaster if we keep McAlear and Saunders, they aren't bad squad players. Who else is out there that we can afford?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think midfield is the key area, so I would get rid of McAlear, Merrie, Lewis and Hughes and try and replace them with one or two players of better quality. That should be possible even with a limited budget, as several of the players mentioned are probably on decent wages.

Walker is our best midfielder but is not capable of playing forty six games, so we need better back-ups in that area.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think midfield is the key area, so I would get rid of McAlear, Merrie, Lewis and Hughes and try and replace them with one or two players of better quality. That should be possible even with a limited budget, as several of the players mentioned are probably on decent wages.

Walker is our best midfielder but is not capable of playing forty six games, so we need better back-ups in that area.
Interestingly just read elsewhere that Walker is going to have a minor op now so he is ready for pre-season to hopefully cure his lingering issue "for good". If so that would be great news as when he plays we play....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It did seem like Walker hadn't kept himself in top shape over last summer break as came back carrying a bit of extra weight. A fit Walker with the operation resolving the ongoing issue would be good news. I do think that if we’re going to concentrate on quality per RLCs comments on the midfield that we probably need 2 players given Walker may be missing injured and Hendry is usually near the front of the queue to get a cumulative yellow card ban.

Would also say that if Adkins wants to re-sign Luke Norris and the player is of the same mind, then we need a similar style player available to cover for him when injured and so L Norris doesn’t have to play the full 90 when clearly struggling. Finances may force that player to be a young loanee from a higher league, but it is something that needs to be sorted early in the recruitment process.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pre Walsall Nigel confirms we have 24 players out of contract. Staggering really and lots of discussions to be had.

Nigel also once again mentions Apter and conversations going on for next season so he must think we have a chance of keeping him. Another reason why we need to finish the season strongly as more chance of him staying if we’re looking good.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Pre Walsall Nigel confirms we have 24 players out of contract. Staggering really and lots of discussions to be had.

Nigel also once again mentions Apter and conversations going on for next season so he must think we have a chance of keeping him. Another reason why we need to finish the season strongly as more chance of him staying if we’re looking good.
The 24 would have been before we extended the contracts of Morris and Hawkes.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
So much for stability and continuity???
And the last couple of years recruitment.
It has to be better.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
So much for stability and continuity???
And the last couple of years recruitment.
It has to be better.
More than half of the 24 have been next to useless, having them under contract wouldn't be a good thing.I reckon we may shift Dennis out and Jolley might get a league club. Everyone else leaving bar LOC of course, will be non-leaguers- tells the story

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
More than half of the 24 have been next to useless, having them under contract wouldn't be a good thing.I reckon we may shift Dennis out and Jolley might get a league club. Everyone else leaving bar LOC of course, will be non-leaguers- tells the story
but it has been so obvious to supporters, that the main reason why there is so much frustration with our recruitment agenda, that the quality is probably worse overall than has been seen for a long time. The squad depth of quality has been shallow.
The spin has been such, to be better with a top of table budget, when it's obvious it isnt. And without a good spell in the last three seasons, we certainly would have been struggling in the national league.