• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Northampton v Rovers

Match result

• Northampton

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Northampton v Rovers
Posted by Ian
PTS Academy Stadium
Saturday, December 3, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 3, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Davies and Clarke were nailed on starters last season so Tom will have seen the form of turnbull and Simeu and realised he’s got to play well. Plus he gives us that leadership role which we seem to lack.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Spot on. That’s what competition gets you and is why it’s so frustrating we do not have that situation up front. Another two points gone yesterday in a game we should have won but couldn’t put the ball in the net.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Even before his sending off, Simeu had gone off the boil a bit, after some stellar performances during his early games of the loan spell. If Davies continues playing like in this game, it will be hard for Simeu to get straight back in the team when the ban’s over.

Interesting that RLC feels Morris had a good game yesterday. I appreciate that being at the game, he’ll have seen things that weren’t picked up on camera, but for most of the game it wasn’t obvious Kieron was making much impact. It looked like Hawkes on the left was more involved. While he missed most of pre-season, there seems to be something lacking in his game after being back for a couple of months. With the thin squad we have, need him to be somewhere close to peak form.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even before his sending off, Simeu had gone off the boil a bit, after some stellar performances during his early games of the loan spell. If Davies continues playing like in this game, it will be hard for Simeu to get straight back in the team when the ban’s over.
Most definately Boz. For the length of time off he had, I think he's been excellent since returning to the team.

Reactions: Boz

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
We could end up in the situation where MM is pushed towards selecting a back 3/5 because 3 of our best players are centre backs. Whilst, appreciating that Simeu's performances had dipped a little, I don't think we have the overall quality in the squad to leave any of our better performers out. If this was to mean tweaking formation then so be it, and it does play to JDC and Eric's attacking strengths. It would also, more than likely, create competition between Morris and Hawkes since it might be difficult to accomodate both. This would be almost ironic because it was certainly not the reason why we started the season with a back 3/5.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Morris's dip in form is understandable given his long absence due to injury. When he first came back into the side he was playing on adrenaline and was a major factor in the five victories in a row. However, in recent weeks his lack of match fitness has caught up with him and he has struggled to make an impact. It is also worth noting that as our most creative player, he has two or even three men on him in most games.

I don't think we will switch to five at the back. That system does not really seem to suit us and there is no way of getting Hawkes, who has been probably our biggest goal threat this season, into the side if we play that way. I think in the short term Davies and Turnbull will be the centre back pairing.

Player
Aldo
Question. Given that we have a really good midfield, and 2 good attacking full backs, Rovers lack of goals is costing points. Hemmings in his career seems to score 2 out of 5 but for Rovers it is more like 2 in 7. It doesn't seem to matter whether we play Nevitt or Lewis alongside him the goals aren't coming. Kane seems fit , could it be confidence ? Just wondering what fellow fans think could be done to get Kane back up to his career average ?

Great result yesterday BTW.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Re Hemmings like a lot of strikers he’s going through a Barron spell. Hopefully once he gets one then others will then come. I suspect his confidence is very low given his drought which included that dreadful penalty of course. It won’t help not having a consistent strike partner either