• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Northampton v Rovers

Match result

• Northampton

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Northampton v Rovers
Posted by Ian
PTS Academy Stadium
Saturday, December 3, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 3, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I have to say I am not looking forward to this one rover is not in good form and the home team is scoring for fun and with the 2 lads at the back both missing and the two lads up front never turning up I think it's going to be a long weekend, but as we all know knowing Rovers, we will play a blinder and get a point or all 3

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Up next it’s a tough looking trip to Northampton who are the divisions top scorers and sit third in the league. Unfortunately we’re without both Simeu and turnbull so this will be a real test for Byrne and Davies, and possibly Jameson if Micky fancies a back 5. The hosts missed out on automatic promotion last season after that incredible Bristol rovers result and promptly failed in the play offs. They’ve started this season well though and given their goal record, if they score first (and relatively early), I do fear a heavy defeat for us and some pressure on Micky. In Sam Hoskins they have a proper goal poacher who is the divisions current top scorer alongside Bradford’s cookie. What rovers would give for a striker like either of those two.

As for rovers I’m sure Doohan will come back in and any other changes may depend what system Micky plays. Might he be tempted to play one up front with ex cobbler Lewis perhaps as a number 10? Either way we’ll do well to get anything from this game given the form of the hosts, our winless run which I think is now 8 games, oh and we’re missing two of our best centre backs….I’ve not got much faith in either Byrne or Jameson but hopefully they can step up.

Prediction: I’m sure we’ll work hard but I can’t see past a home win sadly.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Northampton had a strong side last season, but invested heavily and strengthened further in the summer by signing players like Danny Hylton. They will obviously be strong favourites and a draw would be a very good result.

I don't think we will start with five at the back. I doubt Micky will want both Byrne and Jameson in the centre of defence, and the former actually looked more effective in a back four in the last league game than in his outings earlier in the season. Davies is as good as the players he replaces in my view and hopefully Byrne's recent improvement was not just a flash in the pan.

As Sparky says, Mellon might play Lewis just off Hemmings to give us a bit more solidity in midfield. I don't think anyone expects much from this game but we have to get a result some time.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Northampton had a strong side last season, but invested heavily and strengthened further in the summer by signing players like Danny Hylton. They will obviously be strong favourites and a draw would be a very good result.

I don't think we will start with five at the back. I doubt Micky will want both Byrne and Jameson in the centre of defence, and the former actually looked more effective in a back four in the last league game than in his outings earlier in the season. Davies is as good as the players he replaces in my view and hopefully Byrne's recent improvement was not just a flash in the pan.

As Sparky says, Mellon might play Lewis just off Hemmings to give us a bit more solidity in midfield. I don't think anyone expects much from this game but we have to get a result some time.
There is a depressing undercurrent to watching Tranmere nowadays, for whatever reason they start each season completely undercooked. This year they lost for reasons maybe beyond their control, players they wanted to keep, Clarke, MacDonald and Foley.
They replaced them with a 30 year old who has barely played in the league and a player who couldn't get into a doomed Oldham side. It was remarkable that they decided to play three centre backs. In midfield Merrie after two wasted seasons, due to a fatal flaw in the club's make up-they have no reserve team, is the only option to play with the outstanding O'Connor. Other recruits in midfield are either young or just rusty- how can they improve not playing any proper matches?
Having had two excellent fullbacks, Cogley will probably leave soon, the new fantastic specimen on the left thrills as he attacks. Problem is, albeit unexposed most weeks, he is clueless defending, let's men get goalside of him repeatedly and when rarely attacked has no idea how to repel a one on one attack. Balls from the left have resulted in several goals, he doesn't even recognise the danger and fails to try a block that may put pressure on the player crossing.
I-follow commentators approve of our players if the results go well and vice versa, as do most fans. Up front Hemmings does everything a solid pro should do and is easily our best/only natural finisher, the fact he gets crosses behind him is the reason he scores few- it is a role that depends on chances at all levels. Nevitt has something but after the loss of Glatzel, the cupboard is bare and Lewis is no striker as his missing of the entire goal with only a defender to beat aptly proved.
The keeper maybe young but he is glued to his line, inconsistent and his defenders have no confidence in him. Hawkes still wants to break the net from 30 yards is much improved, but has to learn to side foot the ball home which the Merrie pass gives some hope about.
In august/july actually, they fielded players well below league level, now they have a bench offering nothing. Foley was the man to play behind the strikers or shore up the midfield to see a game out- now nothing to change or protect a match.
This week they look more like the August outfit and are surely doomed. Now I would get Joe back in goals and start with Hemmings alone. In August I would have left places empty, used our youngsters on the bench as sending them into non-league past 19 is ludicrous and waited to sign capable players. Byrne, Jamieson and Hockenhull were just in appropriate and that list isn't complete. Burton and Jolley are too old to even be employed by the club, historically. After years of coaching Hayde ended up in the bowels of non-league where he was described at first as 'not looking as if he had ever played football before'
As Mr King would say 'Just sign players who improve the team, if you can't find any don't sign them and work with what you have'
Under Mellon it is very clear players are signed, exposed as near useless very quickly and spend most of their contract waiting to be moved on. That is unhealthy but I don't know the real cause. Consistently players become too good for us and leave but no kid is sold on as per the Palios plan which is a dud.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really can't see us getting much here. A draw at best but I haven't got much faith in the defence for this one.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
There is a depressing undercurrent to watching Tranmere nowadays, for whatever reason they start each season completely undercooked. This year they lost for reasons maybe beyond their control, players they wanted to keep, Clarke, MacDonald and Foley.
They replaced them with a 30 year old who has barely played in the league and a player who couldn't get into a doomed Oldham side. It was remarkable that they decided to play three centre backs. In midfield Merrie after two wasted seasons, due to a fatal flaw in the club's make up-they have no reserve team, is the only option to play with the outstanding O'Connor. Other recruits in midfield are either young or just rusty- how can they improve not playing any proper matches?
Having had two excellent fullbacks, Cogley will probably leave soon, the new fantastic specimen on the left thrills as he attacks. Problem is, albeit unexposed most weeks, he is clueless defending, let's men get goalside of him repeatedly and when rarely attacked has no idea how to repel a one on one attack. Balls from the left have resulted in several goals, he doesn't even recognise the danger and fails to try a block that may put pressure on the player crossing.
I-follow commentators approve of our players if the results go well and vice versa, as do most fans. Up front Hemmings does everything a solid pro should do and is easily our best/only natural finisher, the fact he gets crosses behind him is the reason he scores few- it is a role that depends on chances at all levels. Nevitt has something but after the loss of Glatzel, the cupboard is bare and Lewis is no striker as his missing of the entire goal with only a defender to beat aptly proved.
The keeper maybe young but he is glued to his line, inconsistent and his defenders have no confidence in him. Hawkes still wants to break the net from 30 yards is much improved, but has to learn to side foot the ball home which the Merrie pass gives some hope about.
In august/july actually, they fielded players well below league level, now they have a bench offering nothing. Foley was the man to play behind the strikers or shore up the midfield to see a game out- now nothing to change or protect a match.
This week they look more like the August outfit and are surely doomed. Now I would get Joe back in goals and start with Hemmings alone. In August I would have left places empty, used our youngsters on the bench as sending them into non-league past 19 is ludicrous and waited to sign capable players. Byrne, Jamieson and Hockenhull were just in appropriate and that list isn't complete. Burton and Jolley are too old to even be employed by the club, historically. After years of coaching Hayde ended up in the bowels of non-league where he was described at first as 'not looking as if he had ever played football before'
As Mr King would say 'Just sign players who improve the team, if you can't find any don't sign them and work with what you have'
Under Mellon it is very clear players are signed, exposed as near useless very quickly and spend most of their contract waiting to be moved on. That is unhealthy but I don't know the real cause. Consistently players become too good for us and leave but no kid is sold on as per the Palios plan which is a dud.
A lot to unpick there and some fairly strong views! Welcome aboard @dollar'sbloke .

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Really can't see us getting much here. A draw at best but I haven't got much faith in the defence for this one.
It's quite difficult to come up with any other conclusion, tbh. I've voted a Draw as much with heart as head.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
One reason for optimism is that our recent away form is actually good, albeit this is a particularly difficult away game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One reason for optimism is that our recent away form is actually good, albeit this is a particularly difficult away game.
And we have seen some decent away performances in part. The first halves at Swindon and Burton spring to mind. We’ve just to 1. Try and kill teams off if we’re on top and 2. Play well in both halves

Player
Manager
John King
Micky said in his interview that Hemmings, Hawkes and Jameson are all doubtful due to illness and there are a few other injury issues in the squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given the small size of the squad and the fact we're missing two banned central defenders that's a bit troubling. While I wouldn't be averse to trying a Nevitt-Lewis partnership up front and Jameson would only get near the starting xi if we were playing 3 central defenders, but Hawkes would be a significant loss and we don't seem to have any obvious replacement. Is Lomax injured, loaned out to Bootle but never got a look in?

Player
Manager
John King
Interestingly, Northampton have not won at home since 24th September. They have been far better on their travels in recent weeks.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
it might be good if Hemmings does not play but either way, we don't and wont score enough, and we will get 3 today

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The injury/illness doubts all feature somewhere. Our bench is painfully thin, only Nevitt and Jameson have significant experience and unable to name a full 7 subs. Looking ominous.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
0-0 at the break and I’ve only seen the Twitter feed and stats but we seem to be well in this one. As Boz says the bench looks weak with apart from Nevitt hardly any experience at all. Although after 10 days without a game the players who started should be fresh

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
I just wish Mellon would start playing football through the middle and stop this stupid hoofball - what a clown he is !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Watching on Ifollow. Rovers had a few good chances, early save from Hawkes and a double stop from Hemmings and think Byrne, where there was a suspicion the ball had crossed the line, but not given. Heads went down a little after that, mostly Northampton and the commentary suggested fair shout for a home penalty though the camera had cut away. Targeting our left side,but so far copingh ok.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ryan Lowe doing the game on sky soccer Saturday. Just predicted a late Nevitt winner for us.