• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

News article

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I'm quite [FONT=&quot]surprised [/FONT]by this news article..... http://www.fillyourboots.co.uk/club-news-detail.asp?id=1674

The writer clearly doesn’t know what he's talking about. Ronnie Moore signed a new contract over a month ago and we have lost only one of our pre season friendlies and that was to Liverpool! I know friendlies can't be judged completely but I think we have played some good football. On top of all this I think we have a decent squad of players this season!

20th position.... he is quite clearly having a laugh [-(

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, that's a bit harsh..
So if there's anything you'd like to get off your chest about the way your team are playing, if you think we've done you an injustice in any of your match previews or if you'd simply like to cast judgement on other teams in your division, then we'd like to hear it.

Email: yoursay@fillyourboots.co.uk

The only three paragraphs that make sense are the ones about Goodison.

Player
Goodison
I don't think we should get all smug about not been in a relegation dogfight - this season has the hallmarks of Little's last season. A lot will depend on whether this 4-3-3 actually works - i don't think it will and whether the new signings bed in well at the club and turn in quality performances.

However this writer is clearly incompetent beyond all belief - Moore has signed a contract, the portugese seem to have gone and since when did Goodison have misdemanours on the field? He got sent off against Crewe because that cheating git Lowe dived.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If asked about Rovers' prospects a month ago, I wouldn't have disagreed. Things have moved on now, with new blood and a decent pre-season. There's no room for complacency, but even a pessemist like myself can't see Rovers finishing that far down the table.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I don't think it's smug at all. The team we have now is much stronger than the team we had in Little's last season. If i'm being honest, I think the team we have now (on paper) is stronger than the teams we have had over the last 4-5 years!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I fairness, none of us know where we'll finish this season, all you can go on is the record books. Last season we spent most of it in the top ten, admittedly faded towards the end..

The last paragraph annoys me most:

Moore appears to have lost the Midas touch that made him a distinguished figure at Rotherham and while Tranmere’s standards could plummet this season, his experience should ensure they avoid the drop – although it could be a very close-run thing.

lost the mida touch. lol
he hasn't had time to lose it!

im going to put the cards on the table here and say we wont finish any lower than 12th this season! :whistle:

Player
Goodison
Its just that we've replaced quality players such as Mclaren with a series of journeymen and rejects. Some of the younger players such as Barnett may well be inspired sigings but that depends on whether they will be given a chance and that remains to be seen. We still don't have someone who's going to get 25+ goals a season, unless Curran and Gornell are really good and play.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Its just that we've replaced quality players such as Mclaren

and who are these other quality players? zola, sherriff, stockdale, mullin?!
the only players im disappointed to lose are mclaren and davies and the latter was unavoidable.

the youngsters are showing promise and the days of 25+ marksmen are well behind us.
time to get real. all we can afford are rejects, journeymen and youngsters. you just gotta try and make the best of what you've got/can get.

in these circumstances, i think ronnie is doing a decent job and we aint relegation material!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
time to get real. all we can afford are rejects, journeymen and youngsters. you just gotta try and make the best of what you've got/can get.

in these circumstances, i think ronnie is doing a decent job and we aint relegation material!

Well I have to agree with you Ian, and I've already said that you can never properly judge a new player on past performances. It's now all about how well they can adjust and play with the players around them. Apart from Davo, I believe that all the other players we've lost are easily replaceable.

I'm confident that we can finish in the top 6 this year, pleased that Ronnie isn't pushing the same mandate that he has in the last couple of seasons and isn't afraid to try something new. I like the idea of being able to play 4-3-3, gives us options and means more ball on the ground in most cases, which show confidence! And if you can take anything from the pre season it's that we have the potential to get goals from anywhere!

I'm really looking forward to Saturday, and will of course be online and in chat if anyone's around!

Just Bring It!!!!!

Player
Goodison
You watch in 2 or 3 years Crewe will have made Zola into a quality player... Zola was a player who thrived on confidence when he was confident he could be the best player on the pitch and sometimes he produced some quality finishes, Crewe have a track record with this and I won't be surprised if they make a substantial profit on Zola. Stockdale was a good league 1 level right back, not brilliant but did a solid a job. Mike Jones showed that he was good player and we released him, Johnston wo 2 player of the year awards and was released.

I'm not expecting to go out and sign loads of championship and league 1 players etc it would be good though if we signed players with a bit of confidence not 1 year contracts and kept a hold of some of our better players. You can't build a team on 1 year contracts because after February they will all start worrying about there futures and be distracted and then their performances will dip. That's what happened last season and will probably happen this season. Players such as Kay need to be offered contract extensions now. Otherwise we'll just do the same thing again next season with a half new team.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
You watch in 2 or 3 years Crewe will have made Zola into a quality player... Zola was a player who thrived on confidence when he was confident he could be the best player on the pitch and sometimes he produced some quality finishes, Crewe have a track record with this and I won't be surprised if they make a substantial profit on Zola.

In 2 or 3 years he'll be around 27 so if he hasn't done it by then he never will. And I'm sorry but while he was with us he averaged 4 or 5 goals a season, which is about the same as when he was on loan with Oldham before he came here. Yes, he's scored a hat trick in pre season, but even Steve Holland has said that makes absolutely no difference to their season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him make a name for himself, I just can't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Zola had two main pitfalls. He couldn't finish, and he was injury prone. Unfortunately, this isn't something he can change.