• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Morecambe 1 Rovers 2

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My first visit to Christie Park, also likely to be my last given they're moving grounds next season. a shame, as it was pleasant enough(I like terraces).

Player ratings

Achterberg 7
Godwin 5
Chorley 6
Kay 6
Taylor 7
O'Callaghan 6
Jennings 8
Barnett 8
Curran 7
Gornell 6
Savage 6

Subs

Goodison 4
Henry 5
Sonko 5
Greenacre 5
Moore 6

Rovers took the lead against the run of play around 10 minutes, a well-worked goal finished by Curran. Thereafter we were on top for the rest of the half, the lead doubled by Barnett/Gornell, the latter claiming it, but from the opposite end of the ground impossible to tell if he got a touch or not. Some dithering by Goodison when he'd just come on led to their goal, they'd been getting most of the second half possession, so no surprise. Their goal did seem to act as a wake-up call, as we finished the game stronger. Harsh sending off for Henry, especially in the context of the incident being in a friendly in injury time. Think Mr Mason was the ref at Hull, where he allowed Elliott to kick the brown stuff out of both of our keepers without sanction, so no consistency there. Around 150 Rovers fans made the journey.

Defence.

Chorley and Kay combined well together in the centre, whereas Goodison looked out of it when he came on. Godwin's first act was to pass the ball to no-one in the danger area, rescued by big John. He also seemed to get cramp in the 2nd half, can't understand why RM didn't give Danny Holmes a run out. On first impression, he seemed to look for something clever to do, when row Z might be the safer option, but early days.

Midfield

O'Callaghan played a part in the goals, but overall wasn't sure about him. Jennings was good, but if he still won't sign a contract, he shouldn't start. Barnett was equally capable and I'd hope that we'll make him an offer.

Attack

I found Ronnie's selections puzzling here. We know what Moore and Greenacre can do together, now was a time for mix and match. Curran was good, Gornell didn't make a big impression, but still learning. Savage doesn't look like he'll get many goals, any aerial skills weren't given a chance to shine, but he did link up well and stayed on his feet more than Zola. Sonko isn't cut out for a striking role and Greenacre seemed out of sorts. On this showing alone, would start Curran-Savage-Moore

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the report Boz. Sounded like some of the players were a tad off the mark, but these are only friendlies and are more about gaining fitness than anything. My initial impression signing Bas wasn't a positive one, but it does seem like he might be useful for keeping the ball and spraying it out to the others, as you say, more than Zola was capable of. I hope he proves more useful than Zola, because in this regard, Ronnie will have done well.

Defensively, it will be interesting to see who Ronnie starts with. I think Kay and Chorley would make a good central pairing. Very solid players at the back. Just not sure on that right back position.

Up front is interesting. You've got Greenacre and Moore, we all know what they are capable of, Bas of course and also Curran and Gornell fighting for a place. Not sure who Ronnie will start with but at least we have options up front.