• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Lidz 3 Tranmere 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nervous start by the home side, but a breakaway wasn't defended well and led to their 1st goal. Leeds 2nd was another one on the break. Distinct hint of offside, but not given. An og almost immediately got us back into it and a couple of efforts from Rovers went close before half-time. However we conceded early in the 2nd half, again a suggestion of offside. Kay & Jennings tested their keeper with shots from distance, but Leeds saw off the afternoon comfortably. Bas carried off with a bad injury near the end to compound our misery. Think Ronnie got the tactics wrong, if we'd have kept things tight early on it would have played on their nerves. Shotton should have been played on the right-side of central defence. Sonko had a stinker, ducked out of a couple of defensive headers & should have been the 1st player subbed. Burns looked out of his depth, Cresswell would have been a better bet. Season over? Almost.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Almost indeed Boz, but we hang on in there, still sixth thanks in part to Scunthorpe's loss which still gives us hope.

I thought we actually started quite brightly in the first 10 mins. Were much the better side and didn't look too nervous. However it wasn't long until the defensive frailties started to show.

Playing Shotton at centre back was a bad idea. He's not a centre back. He had some nervous moments and looks far more assured at right back. Kay would have been the better choice.

I didn't see their first goal as I'd run down to the toliet (beer doesnt last long in my system!).. Their second goal looked ridiculously offside, maybe even two of their players, but the goal stood.

We hit back well and within a minute or two were back in the game at 2-1. What a bizzare own goal too! We had a fantastic chance to go in at HT level when I think Sonko was played in. 1 on 1 with the keeper and hit it wide. Awful miss and what a chance.

Second half wasn't as enterprising as the first although we did have some great chances to score to make it 2-2 notably efforts from Kay and Shotton both saved.

It wasn't an awful performance and certainly we looked better than Leeds who at times were quite poor.

The difference today was the finishing. When they had chances (3 on target) they scored them. When we has chances (9 on target) we couldn't finish. Story of the season..

However, we definitely missed Goodison presence at the back and some players should be ashamed of their performance today. Kay wasn't great, Sonko mostly just rubbish and Barnett who wasn't in the game at all.

Curran at least tried when he came on and Burns looked like a frightened puppy when he came on.

Hope Bas is OK!!

Keep the faith. SWA \\:D/

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I only listened on the radio, sounds like we did alright. It's easy to say in hindsight but I personally think that to play Edds in central midfield today would have been asking for trouble - I was pleased with the lineup Ronnie went with. It just sounded like luck went against us (apart from the Scunny result, which means we stay in touch)

Kay can GTFO if the others sign a contract - don't care if the majority disagree. Chorley + Barnett + Jenno = no problem.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Kay can GTFO if the others sign a contract - don't care if the majority disagree. Chorley + Barnett + Jenno = no problem.

FACT: Without Kay's 10 league goals, we wouldn't even be clinging on to the slim hope that Scunny screw up their games in hand. Can't understand all your venom against him, did he refuse to sign your autograph book or something? Kay didn't have a good game yesterday, but that was true of most of the side. Only Coyne, Jennings, Savage and perhaps Edds were up to par, plus Curran when he came on -he seems to have got some of his zip back.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I don't think anyone can blame tactics for the result. If we go places like Elland Road with a bright, attacking outlook then we're in with a chance at the end of the day. But for a couple of our best chances missing to make it 2-2.. and I think everyone would have been made up with that scoreline too, given MK dons did us a favour and beat Scunny.

With Beckford passing the fitness test and being selected, and we all know he always scores against us.. moving the pacy Shotton to the middle was a logical thing to do, something a number of our fans had called for. Kay's a great player but he isn't blessed with pace to keep up with players like Beckford. Ronnie does have a very small squad so choices are limited but despite Goodison's foolishness we were competitive. Putting Shotts in there is called patching up and making do.

So what the score didn't go our way this time, we'll beat them in the play-offs and all will be right again.. \\:D/

I am still nervous with two games to go, as it's now possible for us to go into the last game against Scunny, and win that six-pointer but still have them pip us to the playoffs. Need them to keep losing!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
FACT: Without Kay's 10 league goals, we wouldn't even be clinging on to the slim hope that Scunny screw up their games in hand. Can't understand all your venom against him, did he refuse to sign your autograph book or something?

His goal return this season has been fantastic, as I've said before - but I don't think he'll score this many every season and I think his general play in that central midfield position is very average. As such, I think he's less important a player than the other 3. We'd score more if we didn't lack a creative central midfielder. And I think Jenno is a lot better than Kay. So there you go. Kay's alright, I just hate the way he's heralded as some sort of God amoungst our fans. If we had to lose one of our 4 big-name out of contractee's, I'd let Kay go. Hypothetical, but true.

Also, it's hardly a "slim" hope. Even if Scunny WWD (assuming we beat Yeovil, which we will) then we still take it to the last day of the season. Chances are we'll be going there with everything to play for.

Also agree 100% with NeverBeatDaveHiggins. Minus the nerves. I think we'll be fine.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
If scunthorpe get three wins then we're out of it before the last game. If they get two wins and draw then we'd have to win by a significant margin, could be by six goals!

We need them to bottle it.

Really complicated one is if they get one win, two draws, we win our other game, leaving us both on 75 points... then come the last game of the season, if it's a draw they beat us on goal difference, so we'd still have to win that last game against them.

We need them to bottle it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think anyone can blame tactics for the result. If we go places like Elland Road with a bright, attacking outlook then we're in with a chance at the end of the day. But for a couple of our best chances missing to make it 2-2.. and I think everyone would have been made up with that scoreline too, given MK dons did us a favour and beat Scunny.

With Beckford passing the fitness test and being selected, and we all know he always scores against us.. moving the pacy Shotton to the middle was a logical thing to do, something a number of our fans had called for. Kay's a great player but he isn't blessed with pace to keep up with players like Beckford. Ronnie does have a very small squad so choices are limited but despite Goodison's foolishness we were competitive. Putting Shotts in there is called patching up and making do.
The pre-match comments from Ronnie labelled this a must win game, whereas, as Neverbeat points out, most of us would have been delighted with a draw. The longer we'd kept Leeds from scoring, the more jittery they'd become. Instead of heeding a warning after they'd hit the bar, an attack on the edge of their area breaks down & 30 seconds later the ball's in our net from the pacy Beckford. So moving Shotton didn't achieve what you reckon it was meant to. I don't blame Ronnie for trying it or Shotts for failing to cope, tho' still think Chorley should have been moved to the left of the central pair. With hindsight perhaps going to the 451 Ronnie was fond of earlier in the season may have yielded more reward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
His goal return this season has been fantastic, as I've said before - but I don't think he'll score this many every season and I think his general play in that central midfield position is very average. As such, I think he's less important a player than the other 3. We'd score more if we didn't lack a creative central midfielder. And I think Jenno is a lot better than Kay. So there you go. Kay's alright, I just hate the way he's heralded as some sort of God amoungst our fans. If we had to lose one of our 4 big-name out of contractee's, I'd let Kay go. Hypothetical, but true.
I don't think Kay gets as much adulation as Goodison, Jennings or even Sonko. I'm no anorak, but think he got about 5 last season, playing mainly as a defender. Compare with Jennings, prolific by his standards this season with 3. Of the four players you name, I'd like all to stay, but Barnett is the one would personally prioritise getting a new deal sorted.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
If scunthorpe get three wins then we're out of it before the last game. If they get two wins and draw then we'd have to win by a significant margin, could be by six goals!

Mate, looking at the table now, I'm pretty sure - though my maths isn't always great - that if Scunny get 7 points (WWD) from their 3 remaining games prior to their match against us, and we get 3 points (W) againt Yeovil, then come the last day of the season we'll be 2 points behind them, therefore needing only a win (by any margin) to take 6th place. In that instance, goal difference is irrelevant. 3 points on the day would be sufficient.

If Scunny WWW = Scunny on 79 and we'll be on 75.
If Scunny WWD = Scunny on 77 and we'll be on 75.
If Scunny WDD = Scunny on 75 and we'll be on 75.

etc

I don't expect Scunny to win their next 3 games, personally. If they do they fully deserve 6th place. If not, we're right in there, needing a win for the playoffs.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I don't think Kay gets as much adulation as Goodison, Jennings or even Sonko. I'm no anorak, but think he got about 5 last season, playing mainly as a defender. Compare with Jennings, prolific by his standards this season with 3. Of the four players you name, I'd like all to stay, but Barnett is the one would personally prioritise getting a new deal sorted.

I think the adulation Sonko receives isn't really football related - it's his personality and relationship with the fans that wins him such affection, "Mr. Sunshine" and all that. I read another Tranmere forum called the cowsheds - on the whole, it's pretty useless, but there is overwhelming support for Kay on there and it's a very active forum, lots of posters (quality not quantity school of thought very much applies there though, which is why I prefer this site). A lot of lads on there would seemingly like to see Jenno leave and many were questioning the recent decision to give Goodison another contract. Interesting that you prioritise Barnett, I didn't realise you rated him so highly. I like him too, and though his agent is a bit of a one, when I spoke to him he said he'd stay "if he was offered a contract". So I suppose that looks hopeful.

I didn't ever suggest that Jennings could compete with Kay in terms of goalscoring, indeed I went as far as to comment on Kay's goalscoring form this season as being "fantastic." On the whole, though, Jennings offers so much more than Kay in that central midfield position - he makes Kay look a better player than he is, I'd go as far to say.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting debate.
We all know Sonko is useless, but he is a fans' favourite.

SonkORLY, I understand why you dont rate Kay. His pace and at times distribution is poor for a midfielder, but you simply cannot ignore his goals this season. I know you acknowledge them but that's a big part of his game and what makes him contender for player of the season.

Quite why anyone is questioning the decision to give Goodison another contract is beyond me. Although he's let everyone down recently, his contribution to the team cannot be overstated and it's a fact we just aren't as good without him. If anyone can argue against this - I'd be willing to discuss.

If Barnett intends to progress as a footballer, he needs to be more consistent. He's got potential and shows signs of this, but far too often he drifts out of games and at times we are playing with 10 men. Where was he at Leeds? Even Sonko did more!

Player
Goodison
Goodison voluntarily took a £700 pay cut for his new contract as well!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Sonk's maths is correct.

Here's one to throw into the mix, looking at it from Scunny's perspective.

They need only two wins from the last four games to secure the place... if one of those wins is against us! Alternatively, two wins against Northampton and Cheltenham and all they need against us would be a draw. Any points taken from Leicester would be a bonus.

I'm quite tense. And if it does come down to the last game of the season I won't be the only one!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I just fancy us to go down there and win, if there's something to play for. They'll be cagey and will probably end up playing for a draw. We'll take tonnes of fans, it'll be like Oldham. I'm really excited for that game, well, just hoping there's something to play for...

:-D

Player
Goodison
I hope the players don't get into the mentality of running before they can walk - we need to beat Yeovil first!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
All sots of permutations. We need Cheltenham to still have something to play for when they meet Scunthorpe next week, so would wish that the strugglers trip up, yet we don't want Scunny beating Northampton who are down near the bottom. This depending on others does my head in.](*,)

RTID is right, we need to see off Yeovil comfortably on Saturday. Hope they beat Hereford tomorrow, which should see them all but clear of the drop,

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm just really impressed we're in this position at this stage of the season. In with a good shout. I'm surprised.

Player
Liam Palmer
Looks like Bas is crocked, scan today on an achilles. Doesn't look hopeful, apparently.

Me too, I'm astonished and delighted we're still in the mix after such a low-key season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fingers crossed for Baz!
Scunthorpe play the first of their 3 games this week when they play Northampton away, which wont be easy as Northampton are fighting for survival.

I'll be keeping a close eye on that one tonight. Come on you Cobblers!!